Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SUPER KAOS JR LANDING GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM
SKYHI1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUPER KAOS JR LANDING GEAR

I have a set of plans from RCM for the Super Kaos Jr. that I am going to start building. I have a question about the landing gear. I certaily would appreicate any input that anyone may have from their experiences. I fly off grass. Is the landing gear that is mounted into the wing able to take a bounce once in awhile. Or, would it be smarter to turn it into a tail dragger with aluminum landing gear mounted in front of the LE? Would this effect the planes flight and abilities in anyway?
I have been enjoying my second season of flying and I fly one of my Sticks or my Four Star 40. I like to go fast and I have a new Magnum XLS.46 that I want to mount on this Kaos. The finished weight on the plans calls for 5 1/2 LBs.

Thank you again for any insight you may have.

Frank
Old 09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SUPER KAOS JR LANDING GEAR

[X(] Tail dragger. No build it as per the plans. We fly off a grass at our field too. The landing gear should be able to take some punishment.

Jim
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM
alcarafa

Taking off grass is harder with a tail drager, landing is even worst if you are not an experienced pilot cause most of the time you ' ll end up upsidedown.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
SKYHI1

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time.

Frank
Old 09-07-2008, 12:39 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Frank, I have a Super Kaos Jr. (AX .46) with the trike gear. My field is grass and pretty bumpy. As long as you don't do a lot of "stall and plop" landings the wing mounted gear is plenty strong. Also, ribs #2 and #3 could be cut from liteply and it wouldn't add any noticeable weight.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12931.gif
Views:	62
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1027826  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 AM
SKYHI1

David,

Very cool visual aid. Thank you. I am going to make it as per plans. In fact I ordered a HS-475BB for the nose gear and rudder last night. I should be getting my order of wood from National Balsa beginning of the week.

Happy Sunday!
Frank
Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 PM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: SKYHI1

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time.

Frank

Frank consider it using a Magnum XLS 52 or OS 55 AX, you'll have a Bullet speed plane if you like fast ones !!! I have mine with a 55 and love it !!
You can take a look at mine here :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_74..._1/key_/tm.htm

Regards.
Rafa
Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
SKYHI1

Rafa,

Thanks, I took a look at the link. Nice mods you put on that Tower Kaos. I was actually thinking about a JBA.56. Ed Mooreman from RC Report Mag. says this is a fast ,screaming machine. First I want to see what my end weight is and go from there. If I get 5 to 5 1/2 LBS that Magnum XLs.46 will move it around pretty good I think. Then I will have to mount that new JBA.56 onto one of my Sticks.

Frank
Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
TFF

The Super Kaos has the option for taildragger with the gear in the wing. I scratch built one but put the aluminum gear on as I did not want to mess with the wing; that was a mistake as it was real squirrely on take off. I mostly fly tail wheel planes and find them easer on grass but a narrow gear is hard to control. If I built it per plans it would have been easy to handle. The gear on the plans are plenty strong.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 AM
SKYHI1

TFF,

Good deal. You helped alot. I wanted to hear the pros and cons.
I am going to build per the plans as a Tri-gear.

Thank you
Frank
Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Frank, I have a Super Kaos Jr. (AX .46) with the trike gear. My field is grass and pretty bumpy. As long as you don't do a lot of "stall and plop" landings the wing mounted gear is plenty strong. Also, ribs #2 and #3 could be cut from liteply and it wouldn't add any noticeable weight.

David

What Dave said.

I scratch built five Kaos Jrs. some years ago and all were equipped with tricycle landing gear that I bent myself on a Breitin wire bender. Never had a single problem with any of the models.

One thing really great about a tricycle low winger is how they handle high winds while taxiing. They are also nearly impossible to flip over at normal taxiing speeds. The field that I flew at when I had my Kaos Jrs. was very rough grass covered. Never a hiccup.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-12-2008, 10:02 AM
SKYHI1

Ed,

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your advice. I have definetly decided to go with the Tri Gear. I have 2 Big Sticks with tri gear and you are right. They both handle windy days on the grass very well. My Four Star 40 did flip over on me after landing, while taxing back to the pits. A gust of wind just blew it over. I fly out of Grundy County, Il it has all the high winds and gusty windy days you could possibly want.

I received my wood order from National Balsa USA this week. I should be cutting out wing ribs tomorrow ( Weather forcast calling for rain). I am looking forward to this build.

Frank
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM
SKYHI1

Ed,

You said you built five Super Koas Jr's. ? It must be a great plane to have fun with. Did Terra Firma get in your way?
Just curious.

Frank
Old 09-12-2008, 02:07 PM
NM2K

No, I ended up giving four of them to my friends, but I got to fly them all.

The only thing that got in my way was a brand new power transformer. Our field did not have power lines running down the adjacent access road until we used the field for well over five years. Then, one day there were power lines and big transformers in places where nothing had been. I was flying the Kaos Jr. in practice for a Novice pattern contest and my mind was on the maneuver schedule and what could stand improvement.

The model was powered by the then recently introduced muffled Super Tigre .40S with a Higley safety hub on the nose. I did a split S with the intention of dropping it right down onto the field for a quick refuel and return to practicing the pattern. However, at the bottom of the split S was the power transformer - that I forgot about. Whack!

The Higley safety nut put a nice dent in the side of that transformer. Unfortunately, pieces of Kaos Jr came flying around the transformer and toward the field. I gathered all the pieces while in shock. A few months later I had it resurrected. No one could tell that it had ever been apart before. I finished it the same as it was the first time. Believe me, fabricating a new left outboard wing and then attaching it so that it wasn't noticable was a somewhat challenging job, but the result was worth the effort. Needless to say, I never forgot the power lines again.

IIRC, that model is still flying today. It was built in 80 or 81 along with its siblings. Most of the others are still flyable today too. Who'd a thunk it?

Ed Cregger
Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
SKYHI1

Ed,

Thank you for telling the story. I find that I have a lot of fascination for the looks of the pattern planes from the 70's & 80's. I like the Kaos. It's long fuse and semitrical wing. Especially the power houses that were used up in the nose.

Thank you
Frank
Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 PM
NM2K

You are most welcome.

I too loved that era of patternships and still do today. While I consider myself to be quite diverse in R/C model interests, I have to admit that the patternships of the 70's are still my primary focus in the hobby.

I wish you tons of good luck and long, enjoyable flights with your Kaos Jr. They really do have a great personality and they are unique in their flying manners.

Ed Cregger