Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe,

How is your Taurus going?

Cees
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Taurus Flyer

Originally Posted by RCDENT
I was taught to fly pattern by a fellow who moved to Texas in the late 1960's from LA. He said he built all his planes exactly the same way as PK (I have no particular reason to doubt him). Covering was silk and dope with International Orange as the base, silver, and Aerogloss Metallic Blue as the trim. Even used cloth hinges (I still remember the hinge technique). You first painted the plane silver all over. Next mask the trim outlines and spray the whole thing orange. Prior to removing the tape, painted the blue with a brush. Finally, remove the trim tape, and spray a few coats of clear, and you're done. Simple, fast, and pretty! The World Championship wing was supposedly from an earlier Mark II with a new fuse to create the Mark III. I think the Mark II was likely the one pictured on the box label of the old Jensen Mark II kit. It's possible that the one pictured in the M.A.N. construction article is the one Mr. Kraft talks about crashing in his later article on the Flea Fli. I never knew Phil Kraft personally, but was a real fan for many years. I still have copies of the Dragon Fli and Fire Fli plans that were sent to me personally by PK. An interesting and attractive variation of the paint scheme is to prime the whole plane white, mask, and spray red with Aerogloss Blue in the center of the stripes. Back in the day, I used a DuBro 14 in. canopy with light blue tint on my Mark III which looked identical to the World Championship plane. Again, I was told that's what PK used. If anyone has more inside knowledge, I would love to hear from them. I have a Home and Hobby kit of the Mark III that I've been intending to build for the last few years, and have even gathered the necessary silk and dope for the job. Having more info just might give me the spark to really get going on the project!
Well, In the thread I already show the comparison with several oher pattern ships and in that case the history of the Blue Angel, a second example did show up for the Kwik Fly MKIII. The World Championship wing used by Phil was supposedly from an earlier Mark II. How about that!!
Nice to have this fact in the thread to have all important information clustered!
Proved by me was the wing Ed used during the worldchampionships in 1963 Genk Belgium also was from an older ship, in this case the first (succesful) Taurus he constructed early 1961 after the Flop failed. The Taurus this thread is about.
I am busy to have a better original photograph of that moment!
This combination as was used in Genk, 1963 is visible in Muncie, the AMA museum.

Thanks RCDENT, I hope it's not a problem I quoted your post!!
Cees

Last edited by Taurus Flyer; 03-26-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:28 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi Cees

had a few health problems recently and working on the plane took second place.
getting slowly back to normal pace and have plane ready to cover. control surfaces temporily
hinged in place and ordered some barsarite from hobby shop for covering.
will post pictures of progress as I go along.
hope I can now devote more time to the building process. can't wait for that first nervous flight.

thanks for all your help and advice on this, really appreciated.

thanks
joe
Old 03-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Taurus Flyer

Joe, hello,
''getting slowly back to normal pace'', glad to hear and modeling can be a catalyser but only when you take your time.
Good luck!

TF
Old 11-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Taurus Flyer

Interesting sign, Eureka Aircraft Company, a Simla delivered as shortkit, revised by ...................?
In the past a lot is written about copyright, what can happen with the effort we put in our (re)design work.

Maybe people remember the last page, this note, see the picture, of UStik. © May 2009 – June 2010May 2009 – June 2010, ''One-of-a-kind 1965 aerobatic competition model Ed Kazmirski's Simla''
See the red square,

Cees Wester (Taurus Flyer) from the Netherlands chose not to help but second-guess and reconstruct his own Simla, so there's nothing to thank him for.

but also the copyright sign at the bottom, left in the red oval.

What is wrong by not helping, was it a payed job, a task, and Why? my name in that document? Wheren't you enough with 6 people?

Well at least it's clear why I didn't cooperate, my personnal investment in money and hundreds of hours in time would have been evaporated. An example see the picture 2, the result of one of the compare pictures that I made of the finished computer model before the state "ready for construction".

Taurus Flyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ustik Simla note.png
Views:	112
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	2130261   Click image for larger version

Name:	combifoto data kleur publicatie.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	2130262  
Old 11-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Taurus Flyer

In the thread Ed Kazmirsi's Taurus, there was a question from George;

Originally Posted by George Buzel
In this series there is a plan and design called a "Western" Taurus is this plan available?

George
This thread is a better place for the question about the Wester(n) Taurus, so I also show it here.
This was my answer, and endeed, still waiting for the jury:

Originally Posted by Taurus Flyer
Hello George,

My project about the reconstruction of the earliest succesfull Taurus Ed Kazmirski build in spring 1961 and we later saw in the crate he take with im to Rhodesia was to show the world this model.
I never get positive responses from these people that cooperated in the thread about Ed Kazmirski's Taurus so I let it for what it was and didn't show further results of my research. All I documented and stored in my own archive.
The Taurus is finished and is a good pattern ship as we could expect from the designer Ed Kazmirski. Even the shorter tailcone of this earliest succesfull Taurus is a big pro for modern proportional pattern flying. Yes the commercial Top Flite Taurus later was shortened too to make the model better responding to proportional flying.
Ed enlarged the earliest Taurus 150 % to design the Simla so it was also a successful job for me to redesign the Simla too within the smallest discrepanties with modern computer technics. The Simla was proportional controlled too.(1965)

The 'Wester' Taurus, ( Wester is my backname) was called that way to wait for responses and what I wrote the jury is still out. see the first page of my thread, so still is the Wester Taurus.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...rus-earth.html

Drawings are made and the plane is flying for several years now so just as in the past also this Taurus will be a personal ship of which no plans will be publiced

Cees
Taurus Flyer
Old 11-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents, remarcable for the Ed Kazmirki's thread;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...l#post12126860
Originally Posted by kingaltair
This thread has been perking along for the past 7 years or so, (sometimes with long pauses), but it's nice to see that it is still the number one viewed thread on the Classic Pattern forum. A (very much) condensed version of this forum was the basis of my article KAZ in 2010 for Model Aviation.

What I particularly liked about this thread was that it contained just about every bit of solid documentation about Ed and his planes during his modeling career, (in addition to a lot of "stuff" that didn't really stand the test of time). A lot of that documentation was in the form of rare pictures. While reading something about the 1960 FIRST FAI CHAMPIONSHIP won by Ed Kazmirski, I came across a picture of Ed and the Orion I didn't remember seeing before. Please excuse the duplication if it was already placed in here somewhere, but it might be nice to see the picture again anyway.

Duane
The USA member Wilson shows up with a photograph, see below. Ed and the Orion? What I particularly liked about this thread was that it contained just about every bit of solid documentation.1960 FIRST FAI CHAMPIONSHIP won by Ed Kazmirski ?

For a long time I do have this photograph and some more of the serie in my archive. Two of these already did show up somewhere else.

After several posts, included members PIMMZ and Ustik , Kingaltair shows up with this post:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...l#post12127478
Originally Posted by kingaltair
A little information: The picture came from Dieter Hornig from Germany who is presently kitting the Marabu ARF. He has a great interest in vintage pattern planes. He told me he received the picture from Urs Leodolter, (Swiss champion pilot), as part of a collection. I am still inquiring who the people are. Here is what Dieter says in his first e-mail:

I got from Urs Leodolter the „StreilCollection“. About Mr.Streil: Mr. Streils was a Swiss business man and runs a Hobby Shop inSwitzerland. ...... Mr.Streil was a closelyfriend and fan of the Giezendanner`s and he followed them to many competitions.He was at this time an excellent photographer and took a lot of pictures. Ursgot the complete collection from Mr.Streil`s heritage, (i.e.estate?), but the pictures were in miserablecondition. The pictures were kept many years in a cellar and they arealmost (stuck) together “together glued” and “rolled”.
Kingaltair, first wrote see the first QUOTE?

While reading something about the 1960 FIRST FAI CHAMPIONSHIP won by Ed Kazmirski, I came across a picture of Ed and the Orion I didn't remember seeing before.

And a few post later he writes,

The picture came from Dieter Hornig from Germany who is presently kitting the Marabu ARF.

Well time to show some light!

No-one knows there is an importent person in the photograph, not even after several posts?
It’s characteristic and because more of these situations did happen in that thread and often my explanation contradicted, this also this was a reason in the past I did start my own thread.

Detail of this photograph,

World Champion Pattern Flying, Genk 1963 Ralph Brooke (of the USA!!! gents) with the transmitter strapped on, is standing behind the Orion. More details known.

Taurus Flyer

Name:	Photograph 16 25.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	2130763  

Last edited by Taurus Flyer; 11-15-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Taurus Flyer

Double post,
Old 03-07-2016, 04:59 AM
bettsmums

Default TopFlight Kit Taurus

I recently got an original Taurus wing kit and one original fuselage side and plans. I built my model with electric power so besides adding a firewall it is basically built to the TopFlight plans. Do to my concern about balancing the model I decided to make the wing's trailing edge straight to move the CG aft. Unfortunately I actually ended up nose heavy. I couldn't find the original canopy so I cut one down from a Kaos 40. I used a Bigfoot 32 motor, 4S3000 LiPo, 70 amp speed control and a 12-8 three bladed prop. That combination runs better on a 13-10 two blade but I wanted the extra prop clearance to fly off of grass. The RTF weight is exactly 5 pounds. The maiden flight went off without a hitch and I consider this plane to be one of the best that I have ever flown. It does not bounce around in the wind and flies very smoothly. I have unlimited vertical performance and can do 400 foot diameter loops at a constant air speed because of the extra thick airfoil. The plane even glides well with the power off and touches down for landing at around 5 mph.

Name:	Taurus-1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	2151241  
Old 03-08-2016, 04:45 AM
ukengineman

How do you access the LiPo?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:28 PM
bettsmums

Default LiPo Access

I put a hatch above where the fuel tank would be. Ideally the battery would have been placed against the firewall but because I was nose heavy there is battery box built under the canopy that the battery slides into. The plywood block with the phillips head screw is used to hold the battery back in the box. The hatch is held on with wires in the front and a magnet at the rear. Cutting the hatch was easy because the top of the fuselage was carved from a large piece of 1 inch thick balsa that was hollowed out on the underside.

Name:	DSC00185.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	2151485  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:57 PM
ukengineman

I could see the hatch in the first photo but I didn't think that could be for the LiPo because of CG issues. I now see how you have been able to use the hatch in that position and maintain the correct CG.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Talking taurus

hi
I am 86 years old and a long time taurus fan. will follow along with your project with great interest. been wanting to build a taurus for many years and will follow this with great interest.
so lets do it. happy flying pt19flyer