Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Benefits of 91 4S over 61 2S in SPA model

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Benefits of 91 4S over 61 2S in SPA model

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
turboomni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Benefits of 91 4S over 61 2S in SPA model

What about the Saito 91 FS?? It's cheaper than the OS and lighter. It also eats 30% nitro heli fuel with no problems. I heard thats a bad idea with the Magnum FS. Why is this motor never mentioned??
Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see it's more powerful and lighter than the OS or Magnum according to the listed specs. Looks nice.
I saw your post on another thread about the engine and I see no reason not to use the Saito.
Does anyone else have info on the Saito 91 FS out there?
I saw the lowest price on a Magnum is $169 at Abell Hobbies.
Chris...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:02 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

I see it's more powerful and lighter than the OS or Magnum according to the listed specs. Looks nice.
I saw your post on another thread about the engine and I see no reason not to use the Saito.
Does anyone else have info on the Saito 91 FS out there?
Chris...
When I was new in SPA, I asked the same questions of people I respected such as Bruce Underwood and others. Back before the new rules banishing larger engines in SPA Novice, I used a Saito 100 in my King Altair.

The bottom line between the Saito and OS 4-strokes as I understand it, (and to a certain extent have experienced it), is that the Saito is lighter but not as powerful. According to those I trust the OS is tops when it comes to reliability and consistant running. There are many SPA pilots who hardly if ever touch their needle valves once they're properly set. I've also heard OS has less mechanical problems over the long term.

If the muffler is bored out slightly, (plus maybe a couple other legal mods to the engine), an OS .91 FS will outpower a Saito 100, while being much better on fuel economy. Having both the Saito 100 and OS .91, I can tell you there is very little difference in performance,and a big difference in fuel usage.

These are the general feelings around SPA regaring these two engines......almost everyone flys O.S. Everyone is trying to coax every last RPM out of their mill for best vertical performance. They try to use the right fuel, the right prop etc to achieve that goal. With that in mind, I don't know of anyone who chooses the Saito over te O.S., in spite of the Saito being lighter.

Duane
Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM
patternflyer76

4 stroke hands down beat a 2 stroke glow engine any day. I will not fly a 2 stroke on any of my planes without a pipe, so it is 4 stroke for SPA period....[8D]
Old 10-15-2008, 05:05 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

I've run Saito and OS 91's in SPA airplanes. Kaos and DR respectively. What kingaltair says couldn't be more true. If I wanted to save money I'd try a Magnum before going back to Saito. My Saito was a great running engine, but there is no way its being lighter made up for its lack of power. I won't be surprised if a OS 75 could out pull a Saito 91.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Tell me this about these two engines;

Is the difference in performance between a free Magnum 91 4S and a 300 dollar OS 91 4S worth the payout for the OS?

Chris...
In the same context, is the difference in performance between a $100.00 Magnum .61 2S and a $180.00 O.S. 61FX worth the payout for the O.S? Your opinions please. This would be using them with mufflers per SPA usage, not piped.

-Robert

Mickey Walker has been using a TT Pro .61. I would consider that as well as the Tower, Fox, K&B, and Supertigre .61.

On the other side, if money doesn't matter. Webra, HP, and Jett have good motors.

-

Let's not forget the Rossi and Novarossi engines. With an adapter plate and a Jett or PSP performance muffler, the Rossi engine aren't that much more expensive than OS.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The AXE Rossi can be purchased with a 'tuned' muffler; it appears to be marketed for the SPA folks. Occasionally, Sahak (the AXE Rossi distributor here in the USA) will put one on ebay. I'd guess there's not a lot of weight difference between the Rossi and the OS 4-stroke.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been on an OS61 SF and OS61 FSR buying binge, and now have several, NIB. You can get these powerhouse's in the $200.00 and sometime less range, on E-Bay. They are coming out of the woodwork. Instead of spending $300.00+ for something, you can get these great 2 strokers. I did find a Rossi that Sahak put on E-Bay for a great price, and it is in Phoenix # 1.

Crank

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47785.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1053221  
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

crankpin,

is that a MACs muffler? If it is, did you make the adapter and how hard was it to make?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Astro - Yes, a Mac's, and you are in luck. I save everything. Pictures here of the part numbers. I ordered mine from Mac's Products, direct. I think I spoke with David. He called me back twice, after I sent him some mail about the adapter and muffler for this Rossi 60. He wanted to make sure that they provided the correct piece. This adapter is made special for the specified muffler, as one of the muffler mounting holes is open on one end, it does not impede mounting. Maybe this adapter will fit other muffler's, etc..

I think it took about 2 weeks to get the muffler and adapter,they may have made it special at that time. It is a stock item, so the part probably was not in stock. Great service and attitude at Mac's. I believe you can machine some stock out of the outlet of the muffler and the adapter. Whether this would make some weakness there, I don't think so. I am not a machinist.

I purchased this Rossi 60 about 8 months ago, the latest production at that time. Nice piece, and my first experience with Rossi.
Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15929.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1053676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86761.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1053678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89145.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1053679  
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: turboomni

What about the Saito 91 FS?? It's cheaper than the OS and lighter. It also eats 30% nitro heli fuel with no problems. I heard thats a bad idea with the Magnum FS. Why is this motor never mentioned??

It is a regional thing, I suspect.

I'm selling off a lot of my modeling stuff. I simply have more than I can ever use, so why tie up the capital and space? With that in mind, I sold my OS FS-91 Surpass II Pump just the other day. I'll use my Saito or Magnum .91 in its place. I have a couple Cline Regulators still NIP, so I'll use that if it turns out that I really need to do so. I doubt that I will.

The Saito .91 has a great reputation for being the strongest of the three we are talking about, while also being the lightest. Saitos are just as tough as OS four-stroke engines, so there is no downside to using the Saito in place of the OS.

Just my opinion.

Ed Cregger