Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Best Performance 2-stroke For .60 Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Best Performance 2-stroke For .60 Plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Performance 2-stroke For .60 Plane

I know theres a range of opinion on the subject of 2-stroke engines an I'd like to hear them all. My flying tastes are gravitating toward fast precision aerobatics. I am currently flying a Kaos with a Supertigre .61 but plan to move onto a Dirty Birdy and/or Tiporare. Tuned pipe, rear exhaust, expensive nitro, durability, reliability, are some of the questions I don't yet have answers to.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
martenson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Performance 2-stroke For .60 Plane

Now I'm in deep water, but i'll bite.

One of my best running 2 strokes is my K&B 61 PDP by Clarence Lee.
I will personaly order a couple of K&B's for my coming vintage pattern ships.

And would you not suport a US manufacture tese day's.

Take care.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:20 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Cratecruncher,

I'v recently learned something about some of the older high performance engines I thought I'd share with you. I recently bought a NIB Rossi Fire 61RE with a new header and tuned pipe and according to the literature that came with the motor, it will turn an 11x8 APC at over 18,000 RPM on only 5% nitro. Which is good new to me, especially with the price of fuel these days.

I also have a pumped K&B61 that I haven't run yet. I did replace the bearings though. This is the motor I'm going to put in my Dirty Birdy 60 if I ever get the time to build it. Routine maintenance on high performance 2-strokes is a must, if you want them to last. I'll let the experts here on RCU elaborate on this topic so I can learn along with you.

I'm going to keep checking back on your thread. I'm always eager to learn more about older high performance engines myself.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
TFF

Rossi or OPS have been the strongest in the past. The ST X-61 is not bad either. The big thing is finding one not worn out. For a new motor, I would see what Jett has.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:33 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

CrateCruncher,

American made engines include those from MECOA (K&B, HP, RJL/Kraft) and Jett engines are well made and powerful. Old stock (new or used) engines are not that hard to find, such as Webra Speeds, OS FSR and SF/RF, HB, HP, Moki/Mark, Super Tigre and YS. All good running reliable engines. Several developing their ample power with low nitro fuels.

Terry in LP
Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 PM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

double post
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
edp

Mine is a Enya 60X Mk IV AAC. I turns a APC 11x9 at 16,000 on 15% w/o a pipe. It pulled my 8.25 GP Tipo very well. Notice I said pulled. May it RIP. ( hit a tree at an unfamiliar field during a knife edge to knife edge pass [])
Old 10-13-2008, 05:36 PM
CrateCruncher

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have an OS .40SF ABC I bought in the '80s that still makes impressive power and never "needs" messing with. I recently bought another.40SF NOS to pair up with my original in a twin I'm building. I love that engine but the .60 size NOS SF's are kinda rare now. There must be a good .60-.75 2-stroke currently in production right now I could be happy with. My 3 year old SuperTigre.61 ringed has been nothing but a dissapointment. I think I got a friday engine and its time to move on.

I'm also thinking of an internal tuned pipe so that may drastically limit my choices.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:27 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Maybe you are trying to run too much nitro in the ST.61? Carb adjustment issues some people have can be solved with some reading/research.

OS and ST both, as well as others, make a current .75. The .61 OS SFs, FSRs and Webra Speeds are all over the www classifieds and a big auction site right now. Often I see RFs, HBs, HPs, etc. too. You gotta be on the lookout to catch one. Can't just visit every week or so unless you are Irish.

Almost any engine can be made to work with a faired/internal pipe. You might have to improvise in the construction phase instead of following the plan precisely. Custom headers can be obtained or self made for side exhaust engines as well as rear exhaust engines. Mousse can mufflers that have a wide boosted rpm band and are shorter than standard tuned pipes can be made or bought. There are some mini pipes available (MVVS) too.

Terry in LP
Old 10-15-2008, 09:15 PM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok ! I'll bite the hook. Yeah, Iam "old school" bought a Webra Speed RE with adjustable mixture on carb. ran a OPS pipe on FAI fuel. Hauled a scratched Deception through the maneuvers.
Performed well for the pattern we flew then. Very reliable easy start ie: spinner start, good power, wouldn't "sag" in maneuvers, powered through them well.
Yes, it is "pickled" for now, The "scratched" Deception at that time, was contest balsa, with 3/4 oz cloth and polyester resin and lots of sanding, KRAFT multi cons retracts, with the hot set up of using "Imron" by Dupont, bullet proof paint, BUT, you need to use a seperate breathing air source for your body. Memory recalls that it weighed around 11lbs. ! GULP ! Getting my new shop together, heat and all and then I am going to "scratch" another Deception to my own specs and throw in the Webra. Sweeeeeet Engine. Mike
Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 PM
zeuglodon

Find a good YS 60 either on this site or the auction site. Not the long stroke YS 61, the short stroke YS 60. Brutal. Someone will need to convince me there has been a better 2 stroke 60 built ever. I have 5 .... 4 re's and 1 se and I love them all.

Rick
Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: edp

Mine is a Enya 60X Mk IV AAC. I turns a APC 11x9 at 16,000 on 15% w/o a pipe. It pulled my 8.25 GP Tipo very well. Notice I said pulled. May it RIP. ( hit a tree at an unfamiliar field during a knife edge to knife edge pass [])

The Enya chrome schneurle ported engines of the early eighties are one of the best kept secrets in modeldom. They are STRONG when understood and pampered appropriately and dogs when they are not. Were it not for a good friend named Shorty (may he rest in peace), I would never have learned "the secret" to make the Chrome Enya's run. Thanks, Shorty.

I have a couple of NIB engines such as you have described and one old, well used model (a howler). I'm ready for SPA or BPA. They also run amazingly well on a muffler.

Sorry to hear about your knife edge tree impact. Look at it this way, at least your Enya died like the warrior that it truly was.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-19-2008, 10:35 AM
CrateCruncher

ORIGINAL: anuthabubba

Maybe you are trying to run too much nitro in the ST.61? Carb adjustment issues some people have can be solved with some reading/research.

OS and ST both, as well as others, make a current .75. The .61 OS SFs, FSRs and Webra Speeds are all over the www classifieds and a big auction site right now. Often I see RFs, HBs, HPs, etc. too. You gotta be on the lookout to catch one. Can't just visit every week or so unless you are Irish.

Almost any engine can be made to work with a faired/internal pipe. You might have to improvise in the construction phase instead of following the plan precisely. Custom headers can be obtained or self made for side exhaust engines as well as rear exhaust engines. Mousse can mufflers that have a wide boosted rpm band and are shorter than standard tuned pipes can be made or bought. There are some mini pipes available (MVVS) too.

Terry in LP
Thanks for all the leads! You guys are great. I've started a double list of current and OOP engines to investigate further. I do like the O.S. stuff mainly because I have had good results in the past. As Anuthububba reminded me, some of the older OS stuff IS out there. I'd love an NOS .61FR-P abc but those may be on the rare side.

Update on my dissapointing Supertigre G61 ringed: I'm using 10% nitro in it. I was running it with a MACS Stubby "tuned" pipe. I switched back to the stock pipe a couple of days ago and immediately saw a 13% gain in RPM. Both the high and low sides are much more reliable now and the plane is obviously quieter. I still have the original packaging for the MACS and it says "fits G61 only, will cause overheating in G75". (???) With the stock pipe it will turn an APC 11-7 at 12,400ish static. I'd still like to do much better!
Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 AM
aerowoof

so what was shorty's secret to the enya?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
edp

Thanks Ed, however the engine survived. I needed to get a new case as it tore a muufler mounting lug. It is going in my new Bob Smith T2A. You can see the aftermath on my post "My T2A". I have moved since clearcoating and have yet to build a new hobby room.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:41 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: RACE 66

Ok ! I'll bite the hook. Yeah, Iam "old school" bought a Webra Speed RE with adjustable mixture on carb. ran a OPS pipe on FAI fuel. Hauled a scratched Deception through the maneuvers.
Performed well for the pattern we flew then. Very reliable easy start ie: spinner start, good power, wouldn't "sag" in maneuvers, powered through them well.
Yes, it is "pickled" for now, The "scratched" Deception at that time, was contest balsa, with 3/4 oz cloth and polyester resin and lots of sanding, KRAFT multi cons retracts, with the hot set up of using "Imron" by Dupont, bullet proof paint, BUT, you need to use a seperate breathing air source for your body. Memory recalls that it weighed around 11lbs. ! GULP ! Getting my new shop together, heat and all and then I am going to "scratch" another Deception to my own specs and throw in the Webra. Sweeeeeet Engine. Mike

All sounds good. Now I don't feel so bad about how much my Deception weighed. 8>)

Just leave that Imron crap in the closet. That is killer stuff, literally. You actually need a full body suit to spray that stuff safely.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-19-2008, 02:48 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

so what was shorty's secret to the enya?

When he first told me, I thought he was nuts and I was afraid to do it because those chrome Enyas are expensive. But, after flying it a while and not getting any kind of stellar results, I tried it. Tune it leaner than you would an ABC engine. That's it and it works.

Now, I'm talkiing about AAC Enya engines and nothing else. Try it with the others and you can damage them, but the AAC Enyas really honk when tuned leaner than an ABC or ringed engine. It is the metallurgy of the liner and the piston being made of the same material. They maintain their fit, even when peaked optimally.

Shorty was told by the importer who was told by someone at the Enya factory, and it worked (1984). I've bought many an Enya AAC engine for cheap since then because the owners were not aware of this and did not ever discover just how strong these engines really are when ran this way. And no sagging either. That's it.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
NM2K

Update on my dissapointing Supertigre G61 ringed: I'm using 10% nitro in it. I was running it with a MACS Stubby "tuned" pipe. I switched back to the stock pipe a couple of days ago and immediately saw a 13% gain in RPM. Both the high and low sides are much more reliable now and the plane is obviously quieter. I still have the original packaging for the MACS and it says "fits G61 only, will cause overheating in G75". (???) With the stock pipe it will turn an APC 11-7 at 12,400ish static. I'd still like to do much better!
[/quote]

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but that was not a tuned muffler. Lots of folks have discovered that even though it resembles something that would be tuned, its only asset is that it is very light and maybe less expensive than a stock muffler if the original is lost.

Buy a Jett or PSP tuned muffler and your G61 will impress you.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-19-2008, 03:34 PM
martenson

Okey, you older guy's is this good.
I just test flew my newest Kvick Fli today with a NIB K&B 61 PDP by Clarence Lee.
I ran it fat with 27% castor 5% nitro on a Robbe 11x8 and got 12500rpm, it should get 7-800 rpm more when leaned out in a couple of tanks of fuel.
It idels around 3400 rpm and it's rock steady.

I also have some of the other engines in this topic.
OPS 60 with carbon robbe pipe.
Rossi 60
Webra 60 RE
webra 90 RE
HP 61 several of them

Alot of these are NIB.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
NM2K

Hi, Martensen. Your new Lee Custom .61 is running great from your stats. I always ran an 11x7 to 11x7.5 on my, but the 11x8 is good if you are happy with it. At least you won't have to worry about losing the crank pin - I hope.

Your list of engines is also impressive. I have a few of those, but I don't have a single HP these days. I would like to obtain one of the original four-bolt head engines just for nostalgia.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that would be a cool thread. everyone posts photos of their engine collections.

david
Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 AM
martenson

Ed, I will dig true my engine stach and see if I got a spare 4 bolt headed HP, I think I have a spare blue head some were.

David I will soon start to cathaloge and take pictures of my pile of engines.

Take care.
Joakim
Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Best 2-stroke '60':
Short stroke - the YS .60FR
Long stroke - the OS .61 RF ABC-P Hanno Special MKI with a Performance Specialties piston and sleeve (I have more than 3500 flights on Hanno Specials;
so I'm a little biased , but it is my all time favorite engine regardless of displacement).
-Will B.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: flywilly

Best 2-stroke '60':
Short stroke - the YS .60FR
Long stroke - the OS .61 RF ABC-P Hanno Special MKI with a Performance Specialties piston and sleeve (I have more than 3500 flights on Hanno Specials;
so I'm a little biased , but it is my all time favorite engine regardless of displacement).
-Will B.

I know that the OS .61RF/P and the Hanno Specials are top notch engines, but I've always wondered why the YS .61 LS didn't take the number one spot.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The AR version of the YS longstroke was a terrific engine as well and it came with a stock AAC piston and sleeve. The Hanno may have had a slight edge in power, but probably not enough to impact flight performance. I give the edge to the Hanno because there are more headaches/maintenance with the YS pressurized fuel system.
Comparing the stock Hanno to the stock YS .61AR, I think the AR was a better value.
Not really a clear winner. I still have my ARs, too! Just like the Hanno a bit better
-Will