Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New / Old Rossi .60 ABC, side exhaust (with the inflite carb adjust) ??

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New / Old Rossi .60 ABC, side exhaust (with the inflite carb adjust) ??

I got a dreadful longing for my old favorite patternship.....The Dirty (Bridi) Birdy so I got the plans out and started to gather up the goodies...

I went to the engine closet to see what was there.. Well way back in the corner I found an old engine wrapped in oiled cloth and in a plastic bag. So covered with dust I couldn't read the writing on the bag.
Back in the shop I carefully opened the bag and found to my surprise my new/old Rossi .60 side exhaust and the OE muffler and a tuned pipe fitting and the 90 degree adapter pipe. All the instructions along with the box were missing.

Had bought this a long time ago maybe 15 - 18 years ago, don't exactly remember it's been so long.
I do remember trying to start it a few times in the test stand. As I think back it didn't want to run and would start up run for a couple mins. then quit. After a bunch of attemts I flushed it out and used some after run oil and packed it up. Guess it has been packed up loong enough so will build a new Dirty Birdy and have another go at it. Can always put in my last Kraft .61 if need be.
It has maybe 20 mins on it at the most.... duhhh..... after a tear down and relube I still can't rotate the crank over the top by hand ! ABC and it does have one head shim in place so would tolerate 5% Nitro ?

Can anyone fill in the blanks for me ?

1. Set the needle valve to where 2 1/2 turns ?
2. Set the inflite arm valve to (For break in ) off - mid - full......?
3A. Can I disable the inflite feature to just fly normal 2 stroke natures way?
3. Break in Prop on the muffler ?
4. Can go 5 % or 10 % fuel..... Omega ?
5. In flight prop suggestion for the DB......?
6. Suggest a tuned pipe for when I decide to go that way ? (if I do ?)
7. Suggest a glo plug too?
Am thinking I bought this one to go into my Phenix way back when..

Any help is appreciated...

Cheers

GSNUT
Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New / Old Rossi .60 ABC, side exhaust (with the inflite carb adjust) ??

I'm currently running an 11x7 with tuned pipe on my Tiger Tail. I would recommend 5% nitro with a pipe and 5-10% with the muffler. These engines were made to wind up. You could lock the in flight mixuture control about midway, but I would use it personally. You could get a Rossi or Mac's pipe when ready. Good luck and enjoy the scream!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 AM
GSNut

Default RE: New / Old Rossi .60 ABC, side exhaust (with the inflite carb adjust) ??

Thanks for the information RCDent !

Have been looking in the Pattern Section for information and plans on The Tiger Tail by Southern R/C and the A6 Intruder so far the pickins are rather slim..

Thanks Again !

Cheers

GSNUT
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GS - I don't know if this will help. This Rossi was purchased about 8 months to a year ago, latest production at the time, as far as I know. Included is the part numbers from Mac's Product's, and excellent service from them. The adapter plate says .61. It bolted up to this .60 with no problems.

Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17439.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1059102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33536.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1059103  
Old 10-26-2008, 04:42 PM
GSNut

Yes, That does help very much, Crankpin !!

Seems that I read somewhere that you should " break em in with the pipe " or maybe heard it from a pattern flyer of old. Don't know if that is the truth though, naugh that couldn't be right could it ?

The pipe adapter that I have is not to my favor as it is the round socket type using a white silicon O-Ring and a washer type fastener using a spring that goes around the cylinder at the exhaust site.... I do prefer the bolt on type that you have showing in the picture.

Ok, went back out to the shop and came up with four tuned pipes.... 2 are Mac's and for my K&B 7.5 DF Engines... but the two most important right now are both 13 7/8 in. long including the stingers with 3/4 in. O.D at the input end and 7/16 in. O.D. at the stinger end.

One of these is or looks to be from Mac's but the other looks to be an orginial Rossi pipe as it is of heavier construction, riveted end and dip painted black. Weight is 5 oz where the Mac's weighs in at 2 3/4 oz.

But both fit into the Mac's chart as being part nr. 6011 of the unmuffled (unbaffled style) which of course is for .60 - 2 stroke engines.

I do remember running the Mac's pipe on one of my Kraft .60s with some success although I soon returned to the stock muffler as it was just easier to set up and run as in sport flying.

Seems that I did purchase a complete Rossi (fire) .60 Package as once sold by Byron's Orginials as I did do some of his kits and such... some time in the 70's maybe ?? Will look at my Byron's catalog and see what I got from them !

Thanks Crankpin !

Cheers

GSNUT

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GS - I did not like the stock muffler and round connector to it. It also left the muffler down too low, almost dragging the ground. Retracts in the Phoenix. This is my first Rossi, and I was tempted to get more, as this one only has one flight on it, not enough to see what it does. I was told to seek out the OS 61SF's, preferably ringed. I did, and now have several, NIB. Put two of them in my Intruder's, 15% fuel, 12 X 8 APC's, and talk about haulin' butt, these baby's put the plane where you want it and more.
I will acquire a few more, and that's it, let some of the other flyer's get some. Mac's Products are very good on service and knowledge about the Rossi adapter's and muffler's. Good luck.
Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46243.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1059488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59737.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1059489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48468.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1059490  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
GSNut

Am off to look up the SF's an Many Thanks for your help !!

Cheers

GSNUT