Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

The RC Aerobatic Holy Grail- Found!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The RC Aerobatic Holy Grail- Found!

As a 12 year old, Bud's Hobby Shop of Council Bluffs, IA was my favorite place to spend as much time as possible. One Saturday afternoon, while inspecting every single square inch of the shop (including opening every kit box I could reach)...I came across a book with a blue cover that looked promising and my interest in model airplanes would be forever changed...

R/C Modeler Magazine's Flight Training Course Volume II
By Ben Strasser and Tome Cone

The 173 page book is without question, the finest and complete book discussing radio control precision aerobatics ever published. When I say complete, I mean trimming, set-up, control input and background for THE elements of aerobatic manuevers, practice, contest preparation and for those interested in classic pattern...a construction article of Ernst Totland's Miss Norway and there are photographs of the 1973 (I think, maybe 1971) FAI World Championships!

I found the used copy for $4.50 on Amazon.com a few weeks ago and with $5.00 for shipping, I am just thrilled. It is exactly as I remembered. I probably read and re-read my original copy hundreds of times.

Respectful and unfamiliar with copyright laws, I present a collection of my favorite photos for your review and a few posts ahead I will share (2) projects that I have recently acquired to celebrate and bring to life unable to experience as a young R/C modeler.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Service

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68246.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1071654   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42524.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1071655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32833.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1071656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43985.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1071657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75703.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1071658  
Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM
BERUSTY

Default RE: The RC Aerobatic Holy Grail- Found!

Continued...

The 173 page book is without question, the finest and complete book discussing radio control precision aerobatics ever published. When I say complete, I mean trimming, set-up, control input and background for THE elements of aerobatic manuevers, practice, contest preparation and for those interested in classic pattern...a construction article of Ernst Totland's Miss Norway, there are photographs of the 1973 (I think, maybe 1971) FAI World Championships!

Respectful and unfamiliar with copyright laws, I present a collection of my favorite photos for your review and a few posts ahead I will share (2) projects that I have recently acquired to celebrate and bring to life unable to experience as a young R/C modeler.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

Name:	Fc90259.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1071659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53270.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1071660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92356.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1071661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83885.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1071662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl70144.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1071663  
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. I let myself get outbid on a copy a while back. I'm still sore about it. I do have the Miss Norway plans, though.

David
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
BERUSTY

As a 12 year old, Bud's Hobby Shop of Council Bluffs, IA was my favorite place to spend as much time as possible. One Saturday afternoon, while inspecting every single square inch of the shop (including opening every kit box I could reach)...

There were (2) kits which I opened every Saturday morning I visited, for many months

Sig Komet
MK Champion 60

I found the models the last (30) days on our favorite internet auction site. Additionally, I found NIB motors of the time on same site to power these nifty models.

My enthusiasm, incessant talking, above average building/covering skills, and very cheap rates allowed me to "fund" my modeling hobby as a builder. I did build a Komet as a "spec" project. Bud, the hobby shop owner, recognizing my sincere interest in the Komet because I was always opening the box, decided now one would really want a "pattern" airplane if they had to build it...came up with a great idea.

The idea: He said, "Rusty, I am going to open a charge account for you. I want you to go get the Komet kit you've had your eye on, pick out any glue, monokote and paint your going to need to finish her up. When your done, bring it down to the shop, we will sell it for enough to cover all of the parts AND I'll add $50, for you. Yep, (2) weeks later I brought in the completed yellow and orange Komet which sold before he hung it up! I paid my bill and of course left with another project.

One photo shows the boxes and the other shows the M. Kato designed Champion 60 next to an epoxy glass fuselage of Yoshioka's Blue Angel from a German kit currently available.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

Name:	Sq48179.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1071667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52645.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1071668  
Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Rendegade

Ahhhb poop!

You just reminded me that I GAVE AWAY my copy of it.

Complete with the Miss Norway plans still unmarked, in the back of it.

Auggh I could kick myself!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:07 AM
smacfe

That Champion tempted me as well. You say the Blue Angel kit is currently available, where do I look for this?
Scott
Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BERUSTY

Continued...

The 173 page book is without question, the finest and complete book discussing radio control precision aerobatics ever published. When I say complete, I mean trimming, set-up, control input and background for THE elements of aerobatic manuevers, practice, contest preparation and for those interested in classic pattern...a construction article of Ernst Totland's Miss Norway, there are photographs of the 1973 (I think, maybe 1971) FAI World Championships!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

Does the Salamander in Pic #1 have swing wings?

About what time period is that from, if you don't mind. TIA

Ed Cregger
Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice find
Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

GREAT find.
As a young boy (and RC pilot[sm=thumbs_up.gif]) in the early 70's I used to look at those pictures of my heros and their machines.
I marvelled at the technology and advanced design.
Could only drean of owning anything close to that cutting edge machinery.
I did own a webra speed 61 though... couldn't afford the pipe... but still: I was a king.
How times change!

I loved those whip antenna the Euros used... I made one... a dummy!
But it added to my regal stuatus for sure.
My pattern dreams where becoming reality... until I actually went to see a real Pattern Show and THEN realized they flew the manourvers in a STRAIGHT line.....
And not round in a CIRCLE like me!
I was 11 years old and VERY disapointed.[&o]
Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 AM
airbusdrvr

I see the post I made some weeks ago titled "Komet Anyone" and only a number in the text has been removed. I find it interesting how some discussions about that other site go on and on(California kits for sale as an example), but a heads up to a rare kit gets removed. Berusty, if that was you that got the kit, I'm very happy for you.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 AM
BERUSTY

Answers/speculation and additional inquiries to a few of the previous questions:

1. The Salamander (1972/1973) was developed by the Brothers Giezendaner (spelling) and featured a pivotable wing in flight, to optimize the planform for specific manuevers. Example: swept wings roll best, straight trailing edge loops best and a taper snaps best. I do not know how the mechanism worked, although I suspect it was a jack screw like their electric retracts which were available at the time.

2. The photos include Hanno and Hans Prettner, Wolfgang Matt, Norm Page (hey MUPS, what engine did he use) that very cool Shamrock muffler, Mr. Yoshioka.

3. The Komet was in fact a result from the RCU heads-up. SSHHHHHH, don't tell anyone but I am OliveAli426 (my wife's buy bay membership handle).

4. I am currently seeking at least one of the following:

- Miss Norway plans and wing cores
- Webra .61 Black head w/muffler NIB
- OPS .60/.61 side exhaust NIB
- Curare plans and wing/stab cores
- Modeltech Calypso ARC- Thank you kind reader of RCU!!! (No longer on the list)
- EZ Supra Fly 60 kit NIB
- Flite Glass Trion kit

All interested parties should call me directly in Chicago (312) 580-6838 for an immediate decision and competitive offer without the Buy Bay fees and effort.

5. The Blue Angel is a currently available German kit that I purchased from a local modeler who imported the manufacturer's epoxy glass Curare and Blue Angel. I posted a few questions about Blue Angel ailerons in August to find the manufacturer etc...

6. I will have a special event in Chicago in the Spring of 2009 allowing pilots to fly my stable of old school pattern planes as a fund raising activity for the 2009 USA F3A Team. I would expect to have as many as a half dozen models available including a Dirty Birdy, Intruder, Deception, Blue Angel, MK Champion 60 and a Komet. Details to follow.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Free Bird

Rusty, did you check your pm for the Calypso?

FB
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
BERUSTY

Free Bird,

Got it and just replied.

Rusty
Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The last picture in post #2 shows a Banshee being landed, so it must be Jersey Jim Martin doing the flying with his back to us.

We used to work together in the mid-1970's.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Trisquire

I had a similar looking book with a white and green cover. It was all about running glow engines, by Clarence Mather. I wish I could get that book back to.

Tom
Old 11-14-2008, 08:27 PM
zeuglodon
My Feedback: (1)

That did look interesting, so I went on the auction site this morning after reading this post to see what i could find...no luck.

Then I tried Amazon. One copy available from a seller in California. $7.00 plus postage and it's on its way.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 PM
BERUSTY

The picture of Hanno and Hans Prettner with their Super Sciroly II. I was visiting with one of my long time modeling pals this afternoon, seeking assistance locating a Webra .61 Black Head. He told me that he has TOUCHED the actual model in the photo!!!

The model is owned by a European, still in Europe. My friend said that the stab had been removed and re-installed at least three times (moved up and down) and that the motor was held in with bolts and nuts requiring holes large enough to get a nut driver through. Hanno was constantly fine-tuning trimming and not terribly worried about how the model looked just how it flew. He thought that the photos were from the 1971 World Championships.

RCU reader, contributor, 3 time USA F3A Team member Bill Cunningham has told me about a flight that he witnessed Hanno fly and he said it was just incredible.

FYI

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old School Pattern NUT

Name:	Om31767.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1072268  
Old 11-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Free Bird

Then I tried Amazon. One copy available from a seller in California. $7.00 plus postage and it's on its way.
Lucky you! I tried also but couldn't find anything. I'll keep looking though. I do have the Dave Patrick book that he put out a number of years ago through MAN, but it doesn't sound like it's as thorough as the RCM book.

FB
Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow - the Holy Grail! Glad I still have mine
Prettner was pretty amazing, but I haven't seen him fly much (last time was '89 WC at Fentress, VA.)
I saw Dave Brown fly many times from the late '70s until he stopped competing. He was amazingly consistent, too - a trademark of the top fliers. I remember one contest where he had a midaire which damaged one wing pretty severely. He landed the damaged Tipo safely, went into his camper, brought out another wing (he could have flown another airplane...), bolted it on and finished the flight like nothing happened.
Wolfgang Matt's prototype Arrow had more than 2,000 flights on it when he competed in the 1983 WC. I guess the engines will wear out before the airframe
Thanks for sharing, Rusty - good luck with your search and Congrats for acquiring the Atlanta and the Aurora!
Regards,
Will B.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM
BERUSTY

Regarding the Atlanta and the Aurora...did not get those little gems as they are not in my "radar". Those airplanes were cool when I was in college...girls and I missed them all together.

Another Dave Brown story: My first NATS was in Lincoln, NE 1979 and thanks to Steve Peck who schlepped me to and from Omaha every day was able to compete in Sportsman/Novice (forgot what it was called) with my UFO powered by a Super Tigre X-60 SE, Kraft retracts and my Kraft radio. Dave Brown, flying on the same line as me, lost an aileron servo (only one was used back then) while in a 4-point...flew knife edge pass after knife edge pass. The airplane had no perceptible roll with rudder and after serveral minutes, the wings were level, lowered the gear and landed...oops the nose gear did not come down...

After landing he looked down at his EXPERT transmitter and said "...I thought something was (odd) I was in low rudder rate...". I followed as close as I dared and watched him remove the wing, replace the EXPERT aileron servo which apparently had frozen, dust off the slightly ground chin cowl and got ready for the next flight.

He and Sally were very patient with my questions...thank you, I have a newpaper photo of me sleeping by model which I will scan and post.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old 11-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Trisquire

Wow, cool story. I met Dave at a golf dome fly-in last year. It was like talking to Michael Jordan. Dave is pretty good at helicopters too. He was doing inverted hovers and rolls with his T-Rex.

Tom
Old 11-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

My Dave Brown story is from the 1983 NATS at Westover, MA. Every year back then after the pattern event was over Dave and Sally would run 1 or both flightlines for the scale events. Being the first Nats in New England my buddies and I decided that we would fly scale. So we dusted off some scale planes and russeled up documentation and off we went. Needless to say we didn't threaten the winners but had alot of fun. When the scale event ended on Sunday afternoon we were hanging around and up comes Dave Brown with a set of keys which I had lost but didn't know it yet. After thanking him for returning them we sat down and had a "Few Beers" and he told us more about triming and flying maneuvers then all of us ever knew up to then. We didn't even think about centering and stuff like that. He always believed that there were no secrets and I cannot imagine the number of people the he has helped.

I have aquired all the early RCM Flight Training Course manuals over the years before they got to be Ebay worthy (when they were cheap).

Peace

Mark O
Old 11-16-2008, 02:28 AM
stuntflyr

I used to visit Bud's when I was a TWA FO on the 727 way back in the early 90's. It was a short walk from the short lay-over hotel for Omaha trips. Seems like a long time ago, now.
Pretty good shop.
I'm on the look out for that book...
Chris...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice comment's about Dave from everyone. He would help everybody. Maybe not (Norm Page?) We really enjoyed watching Dave go head to head with Norm and his Mach I's. I worked with Dave at World Engines, in the late 60's, early 70's, spent many evening's in his basement building Phoenix'. We would head for the practice field right after work. Dave would fly till dark, I could not see the plane, and Dave says, "Vince I will see you tomorrow, I am going up once more". Had to turn lights on to go home. I got out of the hobby about 1970, the TOC came along, and Dave built two Godfrey Laser 200's I think after the first two contest's at Las Vegas, Circus Circus.
Dave later acqured some of John Maloney's equipment, injection machine, etc., started on his own, he and Sally have done very well. I practiced with Dave a lot, but never got to his status. At a contest in Chardon, Ohio about 1970, it rained all night, we got there in the morning, grass field, no way to take off with 2.25" mains and retracts. The answer, hand launch the planes. This is after the usual couple of beers for breakfast. Super Tigre screaming, gears retracted, hold the Phoenix under fuselage front of wing area, grab it under the tail front of stab, run a few steps in the mud, give it a throw. Land best way you could, sometime, gear up. That was crazy, but we got it done. In those days, Hal Parenti, Jimmy Grier, Mark Radcliff, Don Lowe, Alan Dupler, Jim McConville, Mike Shafer, Jerry Lucke, Jim Slater, all great pattern flyer's, really a joy to see them all and learn. I am sure I left some out.

Vince
Hobe Sound, FL

Name:	Zx71753.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1073052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85064.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1073053  
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Dave must like hand launching...
Back around 1974 or 1975 I attended a demonstration at the Bridgewater, Ma. club field. Dave was there, Denis Donohue flying his El Tigre and Bob Violet was there trying to fly his ducted fan powered F-4. It was a grass field and the wheels were just too small. After a brief conference between Dave and Bob, Dave picked up the F-4 and with some assistance got it into the 'hand -launch' position (the landing gear was retracted). Dave took a few steps and gave a mighty heave. The F-4 started settling earthward with the engine screaming. About a foot off the ground, the jet had enough airspeed to start climbing. Bob provided us with a great show, but that was his only flight .
I've had the pleasure of talking with Dave and Sally many times and they are both very congenial folks!
Will B.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.