Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Very nice pic Duane, thanks for posting it. I have to ask though, is the base color white??? If so, was there 2 models of the TBX1, or was it originally white and repainted the typical light blue? Perhaps Helen can shed some light on this picture.

FB
FB..

This was an old photograph supplied as an e-mail attachment. I did the best I could to restore the best color I could, but it isn't perfect. This is the same plane shown in the modern photos early in the thread. The light blue appears VERY LIGHT, but it is the same light blue none-the-less.

There was only ONE TBX.

Duane
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...and there's only ONE light blue. Likely, the scanning software did its best to map the colors of the photo to the limited digital color range. It failed only in the bright parts where brightness exceeds the limits of what can be rendered digitally, and what remains is white - merely an artefact. The true light blue can still be found in the darker parts like on the edges of dark blue or in shadow areas.

Even more interesting is the color of Nimbus II. Wasn't it said here that no color photo exists? Can't remember, but anyway if it was said I could swear I saw another one just in this forum. []
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK guys, thanks for confirming the base color. I just was surprised to see the TBX with a white base.

FB
Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: UStik
Even more interesting is the color of Nimbus II. Wasn't it said here that no color photo exists? Can't remember, but anyway if it was said I could swear I saw another one just in this forum. []

From FB...thanks for confirming the base color. I just was surprised to see the TBX with a white base.
UStik...You are so richtig,(correct). Earlier on in the thread we were lamenting that there were no color pictures of Nimbus II, and until this photo surfaced I still don't remember any. It's funny how one thing tends to lead to another, and questions tend to get answered over time. Now we can see the exact colors as it seems that with less highlights the color was more accurately displayed.

FB...At least you can see how the plane would look with two different color schemes

Duane
Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I was googling for info on Tom Brett last night and came across this link, which some may find interesting (about mid-way down).

http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/beaver.htm

Andy
Old 12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Free Bird

I was googling for info on Tom Brett last night and came across this link, which some may find interesting (about mid-way down).

http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/beaver.htm

Andy
A while back, WEDJ did a build thread from the short kit in that link, and it went together fairly well. Being the short kit had to be bought in lots of three, I bought one from WEDJ and I believe that he sold the other one to another member here on RCU. BTW - WEDJ let me fly his Perigee a couple of months ago, and it was one sweet flyer! Better than some of the newer models on the market today. I hope that my restored Perigee flies half as well!

FB
Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM
kingaltair

A while back, WEDJ did a build thread from the short kit in that link, and it went together fairly well. Being the short kit had to be bought in lots of three, I bought one from WEDJ and I believe that he sold the other one to another member here on RCU. BTW - WEDJ let me fly his Perigee a couple of months ago, and it was one sweet flyer! Better than some of the newer models on the market today. I hope that my restored Perigee flies half as well!

FB
When I was e-mailing William a couple years back enquiring about the possibility of getting a Perigee short kit, we simply didn't hit it off personally. We never even got to the point where he told me the price for three kits, (obviously he must have told WEDJ), so I gave up on him and instead was able to get a prototype of Bob Harris's kit produced for Early RC, (taken over by Wing Mfg). However, due do costs and the amount of work involved in kit production, (producing instructions etc), plus other pressing classic pattern projects projects, (such as the Phoenix 5), and finally, the real possibility the kit would not sell enough to break even, Wing decided not to produce the Perigee kit. Personally I'm sorry it didn't get produced, though I coimpletely understand the reasons for not doing so.

FB...Please post your flight reports of your Perigee when it takes to the skies, and contact me by e-mail or phone about plans you may be interested in.

Duane
Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Free Bird

When I was e-mailing William a couple years back enquiring about the possibility of getting a Perigee short kit, we simply didn't hit it off personally. We never even got to the point where he told me the price for three kits, (obviously he must have told WEDJ), so I gave up on him and instead was able to get a prototype of Bob Harris's kit produced for Early RC, (taken over by Wing Mfg). However, due do costs and the amount of work involved in kit production, (producing instructions etc), plus other pressing classic pattern projects projects, (such as the Phoenix 5), and finally, the real possibility the kit would not sell enough to break even, Wing decided not to produce the Perigee kit. Personally I'm sorry it didn't get produced, though I coimpletely understand the reasons for not doing so.

FB...Please post your flight reports of your Perigee when it takes to the skies, and contact me by e-mail or phone about plans you may be interested in.
WEDJ also had a "difficult" time with him. It's very unfortunate that Wing decided against the Perigee kit, I too understand all of the issues involved bringing a kit to market. Even a short kit with no instructions would have been good. After all, anyone that would buy it would know how to scratch build. As is stands, William or scratching a Perigee is the only game in town, that is unless you have an original kit.

I'll advise when my restored Perigee makes it first flight. Right now it won't be until spring. []

FB
Old 12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
kingaltair

WEDJ also had a ''difficult'' time with him. It's very unfortunate that Wing decided against the Perigee kit, I too understand all of the issues involved bringing a kit to market. Even a short kit with no instructions would have been good. After all, anyone that would buy it would know how to scratch build. As is stands, William or scratching a Perigee is the only game in town, that is unless you have an original kit.

I'll advise when my restored Perigee makes it first flight. Right now it won't be until spring. []

FB
Dan at Wing Mfg did this as a favor to me as I've known him for a long time. Wing Mfg. is only a few miles away from where our family in Michigan live, so I've been there a number of times. The kit components/templates etc were in preliminary, undeveloped form just as he received them from Dan, and he wasn't sure whether or not everything was exactly correct. Due to other projects, I haven't even had it out of the box yet to test it and verify accuracy, but it sure would be a whole lot easier/better than scratch building one. Now that I think about it, I don't think he wanted people to know about the kit he did for me, (but it looks like it might be a little late for that now).[8D] I can take it out and look it over if you'd like me to.

Anyway, perhaps Dan could be persuaded to produce a few of the rough kits, (for experienced builders as you suggest), if he doesn't have to put any more work into production, but at the same time, he may not feel comfortable putting anything out that isn't 100% checked, and the best it can be because he wants all his products to be worthy of the Wing Mfg name. It would be interesting to know just what kind of "market" there might be for such a kit, and how many people would commit to buying one if he would consider doing it?

Just a little thinking out loud between the two of us, (and anyone else out there who happens to "overhear"). There have only been 10,000 "hits" so far, so maybe nobody else will find out. [8D] What have I done?

Duane
Old 12-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Free Bird

Dan at Wing Mfg did this as a favor to me as I've known him for a long time. Wing Mfg. is only a few miles away from where our family in Michigan live, so I've been there a number of times. The kit components/templates etc were in preliminary, undeveloped form just as he received them from Dan, and he wasn't sure whether or not everything was exactly correct. Due to other projects, I haven't even had it out of the box yet to test it and verify accuracy, but it sure would be a lot better than scratch building one. Now that I think about it, I don't think he wanted people to know about the kit he did for me,
If I'm not mistaken, Bobh (RCU ID, I think I got that right), posted back several months ago about a beta kit he was going to build for Wing. It's nice to know it ended up in good hands. If Wing ever does anything with it, I'd be interested in getting one.

FB
Old 12-05-2009, 05:52 PM
kingaltair

Yes you are exactly right. I meant to say in the quote above that the templates etc were received from BOB H.. It was indeed a beta-kit, and that's what I got. It would take time and effort to get it to finished form.

Who, (beside FB), would actually BUY a beta-kit version of the Perigee as described above if offered...I'd like a "show of hands"

Duane
Old 01-17-2010, 12:54 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: kingaltair

Yes you are exactly right. I meant to say in the quote above that the templates etc were received from BOB H.. It was indeed a beta-kit, and that's what I got. It would take time and effort to get it to finished form.

Who, (beside FB), would actually BUY a beta-kit version of the Perigee as described above if offered...I'd like a ''show of hands''

Duane
Looks like under the circumstances, Dan at Wing Mfg made a wise decision, and that Perigee is not a plane that has enough diehard followers for a new kit to be released. It's been a long time, (a full 48 years...hard to believe...where did the time go?), and the market for vintage pattern planes is small...only large enough to support the very best known, such as the Taurus. Still, for those that know about her, she is a beautiful ship, and now the plans are available once more.

Since my last post, Helen Brett has again sent me new pictures, including one of the Nimbus 1, the only major design of Tom's that hasn't been seen yet in this thread. We'll see Nimbus 1 a little later, but first I'd like to show you another color photo of Nimbus II. At first we didn't think there were any, then we saw a ground shot of her. Now we see a very nice picture of Tom posing with Nimbus II. The picture is undated, and comes from a large negative sent by Helen. This is a rare photo; thanks for sending it to us. I'm including a black and white for comparison.

Duane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31814.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	1357759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95067.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1357760  
Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 AM
pimmnz

Yep, Nimbus 2 is one sweet flying plane. For those who have flown Perigee, Nimbus is just a bit bigger and slightly less 'nervous'. Makes a really good pattern model and one that should be seen at an SPA contest one day, with a 40~46 two stroke, of course, none of this 91FS stuff (wouldn't fit in that slim nose anyway).
Evan.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM
kingaltair

Just a few more comments about Nimbus. Nimbus was designed to compete with Ed Kazmirski's Orion, and the later versions...that was the target aircraft to beat, (little did he know that Taurus was on the drawing board shortly thereafter, and would be the REAL competition).

The way I understand it, Nimbus I flew at the 1961 NATS, then was replaced by Nimbus II for the rest of the season. When you figure the timeline, Nimbus II had a very short flying life, (only part of the 1961 season), yet an article was written about it in the June '62 edition of American Modeler. In that article Tom basically refers to the Nimbus project as a single entity, then describes the difference between them. The only difference mentioned by Tom in his article were the wings...Nimbus 1 was double-tapered, and had an open, non-sheeted area. Nimbus II was single-tapered, (like Perigee), and had a fully sheeted wing. There were small differences in structure and aileron area that effected the roll rate. Tom says Kazmirski flew Nimbus 1, and considered the roll rate too fast. Tom had trouble adjusting to the slower roll rate on the new wing "...after 500 flights..." on the original wing. In the end however, Tom said he eventually came to prefer the Nimbus II wing which helped the plane fly "...a little faster and a little smoother, though the roll rate is substantially reduced." When you look at Nimbus II, the overall look is a little more modern and advanced, (at least to me).

Here is a comment from Helen about the Nimbus I and II. I had asked her if the pink silk on Nimbus I was the real color:

Yes, it really was. I guess you didn't see Nimbus at the field in 1961. You couldn't have missed it if you'd been there. Too bad Nimbus II only got to fly from August to November, what with the season ending and getting A(pogee)&P(erigee) going and in the air.

Duane
Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nimbus II was quite popular in the UK in the mid 1960s. An acquaintance of mine, Stuart Foster, used it to win the 1965 British Nationals ( Merco 61, Orbit reeds) and to place 8th at the 1965 World Champs in Sweden. A few years ago he built another as shown in the color pic.

Ray

Name:	By76298.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1358837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22694.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1358838  
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Free Bird

Looks like under the circumstances, Dan at Wing Mfg made a wise decision, and that Perigee is not a plane that has enough diehard followers for a new kit to be released. It's been a long time, (a full 48 years...hard to believe...where did the time go?), and the market for vintage pattern planes is small...only large enough to support the very best known, such as the Taurus. Still, for those that know about her, she is a beautiful ship, and now the plans are available once more.

Since my last post, Helen Brett has again sent me new pictures, including one of the Nimbus 1, the only major design of Tom's that hasn't been seen yet in this thread. We'll see Nimbus 1 a little later, but first I'd like to show you another color photo of Nimbus II. At first we didn't think there were any, then we saw a ground shot of her. Now we see a very nice picture of Tom posing with Nimbus II. The picture is undated, and comes from a large negative sent by Helen. This is a rare photo; thanks for sending it to us. I'm including a black and white for comparison.

Duane
Talk about sharp looking! Totally awesome! I wonder how it would look done up in the classic Perigee trim scheme. Hmmm....

Thanks for keeping this thread alive Duane!

Ray: Those are some neat pics! Got anymore?

FB
Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
RFJ

FB - just this one with Stu's original Orbit TX. Hope your Taurus build is going well - I'm following it with interest.

Ray

Name:	Zw69614.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1358912  
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Free Bird

Very nice Ray. I like the changes in the trim scheme, yet retaining most elements of it. Does the model still live today?

FB
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: RFJ

A few years ago he built another as shown in the color pic.

Ray
Very attractive paintscheme with Perigee-like markings up front.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
casniffer
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome thread!
Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM
kingaltair

Re: Post 315

The Nimbus II was quite popular in the UK in the mid 1960s. An acquaintance of mine, Stuart Foster, used it to win the 1965 British Nationals ( Merco 61, Orbit reeds) and to place 8th at the 1965 World Champs in Sweden. A few years ago he built another as shown in the color pic.

Ray

Ray-This e-mail from Helen is especially for you. I just received it a few minutes ago:

Duane, Imagine my excitement when I checked the thread and found Stuart Foster and his Nimbus II. Stuart and his father have been in the scrapbook since 1961 when they built the original Nimbus from plans taken back to England by Ed Johnson. Leonard sent a letter and pictures of Stuart holding his plane. In January of 1964, a letter came from Leonard with news of each building Nimbus II. We had sent films back and forth a couple times. Leonard mentioned in the letter that Stuart was a good flier, and was expecting him to do well that year. So he was a year off. He mentioned that Stuart was very good on touch and go's and could probably do them with "a cardboard landing gear". How great that he won the British Nationals in 1965, and did well in the World Champs in Sweden as well.

By the way, we got to meet them and Mick Elmer at Kenley for the 1962 World Champs. They arrived just after Tom flew on Saturday, but because of car trouble never made it back for Sunday, so they missed seeing Tom fly Perigee. At least we got to have a brief visit with them.

The newest Nimbus II looks great, too. Again, it is great to go back in time. I know Tom would be proud to know so many people still fly his designs.

Helen

Name:	Lj22910.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1360430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39684.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	1360431  
Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 AM
RFJ

Helen - good to hear my little post brought back some memories - enjoyed reading them. I dug out an old letter from Stuart and found this - "As a matter of interest I still have some old cine film and audio reel recording that Tom Brett sent me and my father when we were building our first Nimbus of him practising for his World Champs at Kenley"

We haven't been in contact for many years now so I don't know if he still has the tapes and film or indeed if his Nimbus is still around.

Here are a couple of shots of Stuart and his Dad with their Equaliser design from 1969.

Ray

Name:	Li21289.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1360649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44000.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	1360650  
Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 AM
kingaltair

Ray;

Helen responded to your e-mail....I'll post it later on. Small world...
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: RFJ

Helen - good to hear my little post brought back some memories - enjoyed reading them. I dug out an old letter from Stuart and found this - ''As a matter of interest I still have some old cine film and audio reel recording that Tom Brett sent me and my father when we were building our first Nimbus of him practising for his World Champs at Kenley''

We haven't been in contact for many years now so I don't know if he still has the tapes and film or indeed if his Nimbus is still around.

Here are a couple of shots of Stuart and his Dad with their Equaliser design from 1969.

Ray
Ray....Thanks for your post....I received a response from Helen I'd like to share:

[b]"....I was delighted to read the response from Ray, and it is great to see Nimbus in Perigee like paint scheme. The 1969 photos of Stuart, Leonard and their Equaliser are great. Did they design this plane? If Ray corresponds with Stuart again, please have him send my regards and wish Happy Landings.[/b]

Duane

Old 01-27-2010, 06:42 PM
kingaltair

Hi everyone...

Finally the day has come when I think I'll be posting my final photos for this thread, (always looking for more though), so here they come:

The one plane we haven't talked much about is Nimbus 1, Tom's first real pattern job if I remember correctly. Nimbus 1 flew during the 1961 contest season. The major difference between it and its successor Nimbus II is the wing. Nimbus 1 is double tapered, while Nimbus II is single tapered like Perigee as mentioned earlier.

Nimbus 1 flew at the 1961 NATS and was damaged by a runaway rudder-only job. Here are some quotes from Helen on the story of the first Nimbus:

"...Tom and Russ were in the ready circle waiting to move to the flight line when a rudder only plane went berserk and ran into Nimbus, barely missing Russ, and taking out part of the wing and aileron. As I noted in the scrapbook, Tom packed "everything but the lathe and Band saw" when we left home. It looked like repairs were possible, so with help from several people we retired to a hangar. One man built the aileron while Tom put Humpty Dumpty back together againas I said, he had plans, silk, balsa, pins dope, glue etc. packed in the car. It was very hot and humid and the glue didn't want to dry, but after four hours and only 15 minutes left in the day to qualify, he told the judges he was ready to try. He took off, flew away from the crowd and did all maneuvers. When the flight was tallied he had the high score for the day. There were a lot of anxious moments and flights involved, but in the end he placed third for the team...."

We had a lot of shots of Nimbus, black and white and a couple of Tom with the plane. By the time the color shots were taken the sun had faded the pink silk quite a bit. I have two taken just before we went to the Nats.

You notice in the picture how the pink silk used for the repair was a lot darker than the rest of the plane. Helen says that a few days after returning from the NATS, it crashed. Soon afterward, Nimbus II was born. This was the plane featured in Tom's first article for American Modeler in June 1962 where the differences between the two were discussed. In that article Tom seemed to refer to Nimbus as a single entity with differences in the wings.

About the pictures, one was taken from a slide, and the other from a photo dated AUGUST 1961.

Duane

Name:	Mk27181.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1365971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58899.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1365972  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.