Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Magic

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Rube Goldberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magic

ORIGINAL: doxilia

P.S. Used to live down your ways for a few years - loved it. I miss those Sunday morning brunches at the various eateries in and around Narragansett. I attended GSO/URI for several years. Hey! do you happen to know if the Narragansett restaurant Spain is still around? The food was excellent! Rick (Free Bird) on this forum is helping us take care of the canopy aspect of these classics. He's down in CT. Maybe we could organize a RI summer 2010 MK 20 size fly in! I can't wait to have a couple of these pups on my work bench...

Hehe....of course my real name is not Rube Goldberg but rather Dave, and the Whale Tail Rhode Island came from this: many many many years ago, 'bout 10th grade or so, I had a friend that considered himself the MASTER at the board game "Risk". If you'll notice on the Risk board, there is a depiction of a whale tail off the coast of RI. So my buddy decided to get a fake ID and you got it, Whale Tail RI. I'm in Mississippi.

Will take some photos for that conservation thread. As for props, I'm running a Master Airscrew 8X6, the same one that has been on it for a long time. Performance is great, the plane is plenty fast and the vertical lines for a stall turn are somewhere between unlimited and limited to my eyesight. It really is a joy to fly-all these years it has been one of my "hangar queens" that was never flown much. I flew it 4 times this afternoon. Of course radios have come a long way since I built it, having exponential is a wonderful thing!

Rube, er, Dave
Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave,

nice tale...

Naturally, I assumed you lived somewhere in the vicinity of what's know as Point Judith, the turning point of the Eastern RI coastline to face South and run along the Long Island Northern Coast. There are several "Whale Tail" related businesses in the area but I'm not familiar with the history of the name. Undoubtedly that's where the Risk whale tail comes from. The castle below, among other things, might have something to do with it. Curious... I had a friend who lived in RI who's name was Dave. He was from St. Louis, MO however. Then again, if you don't live in RI though.

I look forward to some pictures of your hangar queen in the MK thread.

Thanks, David.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57623.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1253617  
Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
doxilia

Hey Ghost,

I was wondering what happened to your M20 build. Is it still on the bench or did you get it finished?

Please post some pictures if you've made progress.

David.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting rid of my 40 size Magic, German kit, glass fuse foam wings....
Too much volume for my shipping container. So it goes. Its on the auction site.

DM
Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM
doxilia

Saw that David...

Feel free to ship the volume to me ahead of time...

BTW, does that kit have an airfoiled foam core stab or is it sheet balsa? Just curious.

David.