Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

ORIGINAL: Paternguy

I fly mine almost exclusively at full throttle, with down lines being the exception. I just love how fast and smooth it is, I’m addicted.
Mike Paternguy
It is just like using a formula one car to win the Indy 500.
Cees
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

Well, that's you. Are you saying all planes should be built the way you'd build them? Is there no room for diversity in your world?
I suppose I could just knuckle under to your opinion and pop in a glow motor in my plane but why?.... to please someone on a discussion board that I've never met? I think not. I also think I'm not the lone ranger here. Other people would like to power their P7 with a modern electric power system. I'm not interested in having it be a tail dragger and I definitely want retracts. I just don't want to drag out all that old glow stuff for the one plane in my hangar that would need it.

ORIGINAL: dhal22

Dave, i wouldn't even put electric power on a senorita.
Mike,

the comments are in jest. we (mostly) like screaming piped 2 strokes with retractable tricycle landing gear planes in this forum. tail draggers and electrics are usually found in the modern pattern forum. power your plane any way you wish, we will be glad to hear of your efforts and successes. good luck.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just flew my first electric this last weekend. I converted my trusty Hangar 9 P-51 .60 from glow with O.S. .61 2S to electric power. Got to say, I'm impressed by certain aspects of it. At least makes me think about converting the P7, if you could get enough rpm on and 11x7 or 11x8 prop out of an electric setup. I'm very new to the electric game, though and have no idea if this is possible. I would definitely want tricycle retract gear. But then, "I like smoke and lightning - heavy metal thunder" Steppenwolf 1969.

Overall, I'm a ProLine/Southern/Dave Brown retract fan. I know they're a bit more of a pain to install initially, but they have always worked very well for me. In the past, I always used a separate servo in the fuse for the nose gear. A little more weight, but you can partially compensate by using a mini/micro servo for the throttle. Really simplifies assembly out at the flying field. Yeah, the mechanism parts wear from vibration, but you can get spare parts from Dave Brown. Would require some work to install in the Hangar 9 P7 because the DB nosegear is firewall-mounted. They don't sell a belly-mount nose gear.

Just recently, I visited Dave Brown's web site, and it indicated that the retract system is "temporarily out of stock". Hope this really is "temporary". Would hate to see this classic, Ron Chidgey-designed system disappear.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:11 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Well, that's you. Are you saying all planes should be built the way you'd build them? Is there no room for diversity in your world?
I suppose I could just knuckle under to your opinion and pop in a glow motor in my plane but why?.... to please someone on a discussion board that I've never met? I think not. I also think I'm not the lone ranger here. Other people would like to power their P7 with a modern electric power system. I'm not interested in having it be a tail dragger and I definitely want retracts. I just don't want to drag out all that old glow stuff for the one plane in my hangar that would need it.

Dave, i wouldn't even put electric power on a senorita.
Mike,

the comments are in jest. we (mostly) like screaming piped 2 strokes with retractable tricycle landing gear planes in this forum. tail draggers and electrics are usually found in the modern pattern forum. power your plane any way you wish, we will be glad to hear of your efforts and successes. good luck.
David,

"I'm still looking for that pound can of Pirelli"

After seeing Dave Brown hand launch pattern planes in the mid seventies at our local contest I might even eliminate the retracts/landing gear all together.......

Dave "living in the past" Rigotti
Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave - I was there with the hand launching of our Phoenix'. Wasn't that in the little town of Chardon, OH. ? Still have a picture holding my P-5, and mud everywhere. We retracted the gear's, engine full power, hold under the front gear opening and behind the wing, run like hell, and pitch it, slightly nose high. Alan Dupler, Slater, fromm Slater's Hardware, Mike Schafer from W. Va. with his dad, Mark Radcliff was probably there, Jerry Lucke, from Lima, OH. I was probably still employed at World Engine's with Dave at the time. We alway's had a couple of Stroh's right after breakfast.

Vince
Hobe Sound, FL
Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

I've never flown a plane like the P7 but I imagine that it's flown nearly full bore all the time. Am I right?
Wrong, many patterns require part or even no throttle at times. That is why pattern flyers are critical of engines that have poor midrange or idle.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would think that the biggest drawback with electric (other than cost) is the lack of prop breaking on the down lines. Maybe if it recharges the battery when diving it would have more breaking effect?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I would think that the biggest drawback with electric (other than cost) is the lack of prop breaking on the down lines. Maybe if it recharges the battery when diving it would have more breaking effect?
Most electrics now have the breaking feature on the motor built into the ESC, so this isn't an issue.

Arch
Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Mike Wiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not actually. I've flown in one pattern contest and a hand full of IMAC contests. I perfer pattern and so I've kind of gone whole hog and sold off everything I had to fund that endvour. At this point I have an electric powered Wind 110. When the P7 was new I was a kid flying C/L planes.

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

Mike,

Do you know what is classic pattern flying?
I ask this because I read : I've never flown a plane like the P7 but I imagine that it's flown nearly full bore all the time. Am I right?

Give me your answer.

Cees
Old 09-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Mike Wiz

Well, my intent wasn't to start a debate. I've been flying all electric power for about 6 years now and I don't want to go back. I think the P7 has some cool lines to it and I would like to give a plane like that a try. I suppose if my only option is glow then I'll just have to settle for admiring other people's plane..... but I'm not giving up just yet. You guys hand pipes off the bottom of the fuselage. I might hang a long slender battery down there.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Mike Wiz

Don't worry about it.... and thanks!

Mike,

Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I'd like to know where you'd load the batteries? Going to take the wing off every flight?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Mike Wiz

ORIGINAL: RCDENT

Just flew my first electric this last weekend. I converted my trusty Hangar 9 P-51 .60 from glow with O.S. .61 2S to electric power. Got to say, I'm impressed by certain aspects of it. At least makes me think about converting the P7, if you could get enough rpm on and 11x7 or 11x8 prop out of an electric setup. I'm very new to the electric game, though and have no idea if this is possible. I would definitely want tricycle retract gear. But then, "I like smoke and lightning - heavy metal thunder" Steppenwolf 1969.
People that have never experienced the instant torque of a well designed electric power system have no idea how addicting that kind of power can be. Of course, it lacks the visceral experince one gets opperating a screaming 2-stroke glow motor. I just traded my loud, messy powerful planes for quiet, clean more powerful ones. It's all a matter of what you like to play with.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Well, my intent wasn't to start a debate. I've been flying all electric power for about 6 years now and I don't want to go back. I think the P7 has some cool lines to it and I would like to give a plane like that a try. I suppose if my only option is glow then I'll just have to settle for admiring other people's plane..... but I'm not giving up just yet. You guys hand pipes off the bottom of the fuselage. I might hang a long slender battery down there.
I like your commitment to the project,
‘You guys hand pipes off the bottom of the fuselage. I might hang a long slender battery down there.”
Even though I’m a 2 stroke on the pipe type, I have to say build it and fly it like you want. Just the fact that there will be one more flying is a plus just for the exposure of these types of “Classic Pattern Ships”.
Someday I’ll probably build an old classic on E- power, I can see some of the pluses but for now it’s High Nitro.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Mike Wiz

If you saw above, that's one of my concerns. I'm hoping one shows up at my LHS so I can get a good look at it. If I can't get an accpetable battery location then the deal is off. If I can make a a hatch with a slide in battery tray, then I'll do one electric powered. It's that simple....

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

I'd like to know where you'd load the batteries? Going to take the wing off every flight?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Taurus Flyer

Not actually. I've flown in one pattern contest and a hand full of IMAC contests. I perfer pattern and so I've kind of gone whole hog and sold off everything I had to fund that endvour. At this point I have an electric powered Wind 110. When the P7 was new I was a kid flying C/L planes.

Mike,

Do you know what is classic pattern flying?
I ask this because I read : I've never flown a plane like the P7 but I imagine that it's flown nearly full bore all the time. Am I right?

Give me your answer.

Cees
Mike,
I am a control engineer so my job is design systems also with the use of industrial variable speed drives not only for electrical traction/populsion but also for braking functions. (four quadrant)
It is this function, braking, in which the electrical drive will beat the two stroke, especially when using a contra rotating propeller, and propulsion and braking of the propeller is with constant (controlled) RPM. Speed differences can be reduced within the range of AOA of the prop rotating with constant RPM.

For me a reason to ask if you have experience in pattern flying because you did write: I imagine that it's flown nearly full bore all the time. Am I right?

If I was still flying pattern these days I would not accept the use of electrical propulsion (braking) in the same class as internal combustion. In classic pattern flying I would not accept it either because the result is a complete different plane when compare with the original of the past.

Cees
Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Mike Wiz

Mike,
I am a control engineer so my job is design systems also with the use of industrial variable speed drives not only for electrical traction/populsion but also for braking functions. (four quadrant)
It is this function, braking, in which the electrical drive will beat the two stroke, especially when using a contra rotating propeller, and propulsion and braking of the propeller is with constant (controlled) RPM. Speed differences can be reduced within the range of AOA of the prop rotating with constant RPM.

For me a reason to ask if you have experience in pattern flying because you did write: I imagine that it's flown nearly full bore all the time. Am I right?

If I was still flying pattern these days I would not accept the use of electrical propulsion (braking) in the same class as internal combustion. In classic pattern flying I would not accept it either because the result is a complete different plane when compare with the original of the past.

Cees
I don't plan on competing with an electric P7. I want it for fun. I don't even think there are any classic pattern contests in SE Michigan (where I live). I like the idea of having a smooth, fast and yes, quite plane. That's all....
Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Dave - I was there with the hand launching of our Phoenix'. Wasn't that in the little town of Chardon, OH. ? Still have a picture holding my P-5, and mud everywhere. We retracted the gear's, engine full power, hold under the front gear opening and behind the wing, run like hell, and pitch it, slightly nose high. Alan Dupler, Slater, fromm Slater's Hardware, Mike Schafer from W. Va. with his dad, Mark Radcliff was probably there, Jerry Lucke, from Lima, OH. I was probably still employed at World Engine's with Dave at the time. We alway's had a couple of Stroh's right after breakfast.

Vince
Hobe Sound, FL
Vince,
Correct on all points! That flying field is long gone. We have another a few miles away.

Dave
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike - A stick battery system, great idea, never thought of that. SR Batterie's, and I am sure the No BS Batterie's, Co. could make you a "stick", battery system. SR has the info in their ad's, they will make up any type needed.

Vince
Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Mike Wiz

I can solder batteries end to end myself. It's been a long time but I'm sure I can still do a good job of it. I think some A-123s could work quite well.... probably 2 sticks, though for this plane.

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Mike - A stick battery system, great idea, never thought of that. SR Batterie's, and I am sure the No BS Batterie's, Co. could make you a "stick", battery system. SR has the info in their ad's, they will make up any type needed.

Vince
Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Taurus Flyer

Mike, you write:

I don't plan on competing with an electric P7. I want it for fun. I don't even think there are any classic pattern contests in SE Michigan (where I live). I like the idea of having a smooth, fast and yes, quite plane. That's all....

Maybe now you understand why I did make this comparison:

It is just like using a formula one car to win the Indy 500.

Of course it is not a problem you can fly the plane however you want , only pattern planes are normally designed to fly a pattern program, the maneuvers, and for that maneuverability and also adjustment over a wide range of speed is most important.
That’s the reason this forum is named “Classic RC Pattern Flying”.

I do the same you do with an Orion, just for fun and learn.
Good luck with the plane.

Cees
Old 09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Mike Wiz

Of course it is not a problem you can fly the plane however you want , only pattern planes are normally designed to fly a pattern program, the maneuvers, and for that maneuverability and also adjustment over a wide range of speed is most important.
That’s the reason this forum is named “Classic RC Pattern Flying”.

I do the same you do with an Orion, just for fun and learn.
Good luck with the plane.

Cees
I'm leaving the competition part of my flying to be done at the local pattern contests with my Wind 110.
I also think for a plane like this to be electric powered, my best bet is to build and modify one of these.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Taurus Flyer

Mike,

Why Tiporare?
I would look for a mid winger, batterypac in the belly pan.
Maybe fixed in the belly pan and have more of them.

Cees
Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Mike Wiz

I just picked a wood classic pattern plane kit that 1) was available and 2) that I thought I could modify for a battery hatch while building it.
Do you have a recomendation of a kit that fits your description?

Mike,

Why Tiporare?
I would look for a mid winger, batterypac in the belly pan.
Maybe fixed in the belly pan and have more of them.

Cees
Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Taurus Flyer

Mike,

Take a look in our collection and say "Thank you casniffer":

http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/pattern/patterna.htm

I think about radio and servo's in top of fuselage and battery pack in belly pan cooled down by diffuser cooling,

Example "Atlanta, Atlas, Aurora"

Cees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.