Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

hi fellows

I was wondering if someone might help me out with this HUGE thread ...

I have tried ( to no avail ) to find the following information in this thread :

will an Os 61 FX fit in the narrow nose of this airplane ?

will an Os 55 AX be adequate ( easier fit for sure , but enough power ? )

pros and cons of each option ?

any help is welcome

if there are pertinent postings please indicate the #

best regards

François

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have a rossi 61 in mine, its the same bolt pattern as all of the OS 60-61 variants no big deal....go for it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I'm using the full length Mac's long header and the Macs 7.5 pipe as recommended by Horizon for this model. Sorry, I have no idea of length to baffle. I'm using 15% Coolpower fuel. No idea on the bore of the Perry pump carb but it is quite a bit bigger then the stock carb. That is a filter on the carb. It cuts the choke area down a bit on the carb and seems to steady the run a bit.

This pump set-up is not ideal. There is still some difference between upright and inverted, but it is manageable. The power is great! I won the "Old School Masters" class at the recent Bakersfield contest with this model. It's flying great!
    TonyF - Team Horizon, Team BJ Craft, Team Contra Drive, Neu Motors
    2010,2009 US Masters Champion,2011 Masters Also-Ran

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: superocket

hi fellows

any help is welcome

best regards

François

I think the .55FX may be too small for any performance. I used an O.S. .65AX in both my Phoenix 7 #1 and Phoenix 7 #2. I believe the newer .65AX has the same external dimensions as the older .61FX.

My older .61FX's have more power than my new .65AX's. I tried the EVO .60 on my Phoenix 7 #1, and when it did run, it ran with a lot of power, but it required way too much constant putzing for my tastes.

Like always, my O.S. powerplants have been very dependable. Plus, my club also has a maximum noise requirement, so my muffled O.S. works out fine ! The .65AX is not as fast as the EVO, but at least it's quieter and much more dependable.

Joe M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ol31602.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	1761229  
    Joe Mamma

There\'s no such thing as gravity.........the earth sucks !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: superocket

hi fellows

any help is welcome

best regards

François
    Francois,
    The OS 61 FX fits with no problem. I'm running the FX in my P-7 fitted with the Macs long header (cut to just under 5") and a Macs #1062 long stroke quiet pipe with 1/2" cut from it. I use a home brewed 10% nitro and I'm seeing 13,000 RPM static.
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know when the Robart electric retracts will be available?

I remember Rusty showed some photos of it at Toledo and I've heard they will be available early May. I'm assuming it's a drop in fit? The P7 was designed around the Robart pneumatic, and the electrics use the same gear. Anyone have more info?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I called Robart and answered my own question.

The good news is the new electric tricycle retracts will be available next week. It called the 590 Series PRS electric and is already on Robart's website. http://www.robart.com/store/retracts...590-series-prs

The not so good news is the cost. The mains costs $224.95 and the nose gear another $89.95. And this is without wire struts and axles. The nose wire is $16.95 and the recommended Robostrut mains are at $52.05. So all up $383.90 excluding shipping [X(]. I think we can get away without the Robostruts and use regular wire to make it cheaper... at around $350 a set. [:'(]

So the retracts costs more than the plane. I can see this for a scale aircraft, but not for a classic pattern plane... Robarts are great but I don't know how many sets they plan to sell at this price. It is double the E-flite and about 10x the generic electric retracts on eBay (I call them "chinatracts" ) .

Is it worth it to spend the $$ for Robarts over e-flite? or just get the e-flites and silicon the wires and be done with? How are your e-flites holding up?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I called Robart and answered my own question.

The good news is the new electric tricycle retracts will be available next week. It called the 590 Series PRS electric and is already on Robart's website. http://www.robart.com/store/retracts...590-series-prs

The not so good news is the cost. The mains costs $224.95 and the nose gear another $89.95. And this is without wire struts and axles. The nose wire is $16.95 and the recommended Robostrut mains are at $52.05. So all up $383.90 excluding shipping . I think we can get away without the Robostruts and use regular wire to make it cheaper... at around $350 a set.

So the retracts costs more than the plane. I can see this for a scale aircraft, but not for a classic pattern plane... Robarts are great but I don't know how many sets they plan to sell at this price. It is double the E-flite and about 10x the generic electric retracts on eBay (I call them "chinatracts" ) .

Is it worth it to spend the $$ for Robarts over e-flite? or just get the e-flites and silicon the wires and be done with? How are your e-flites holding up?
    Thanks for the info. I will not buy them at that price, far too expensive. Jason Schulman is coming out with 60-120 size electric retracts soon, they might be worth looking into.

FB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really think Robart has priced these WAY too high. I gulped a little when I forked out $190 for the E-Flights but $350 is totally beyond reason. It's unfortunate because I do think that Robart has made some good design decisions which should allow these to be used in our glow classic pattern planes. I would have payed a premium but not 2X. I have not had an E-Flight nose gear last more than 7 flights (the shortest was 1 flight on a new nose gear!) I am now putting mechanical retracts in my Phoenix 7.
    Jon Carter
    NSRCA #2354
    NSRCA VP
    Chairman - NSRCA Judging Committee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah the Robarts are way too much! [:'(] One idea is just get Robart's nose gear unit since many had issues with the e-flite on the nose. Wonder if you can mix and match the units from different brands.

Thanks for the info on Jason's retracts. They look very similar to the generic electric retracts on the big auction site, so I'm hoping it's priced more competitively. Jason's looks like it has a metal trunnion like the newer ones coming out. Not sure about the steering mechanism for the nose.

I did send Jason a PM two days ago asking for price and more info, but have not yet heard back. Great that he's coming out with something for classic pattern. I read on the other thread he's looking at getting them in June. Any idea how much they would cost?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Surefire

I really think Robart has priced these WAY too high. I gulped a little when I forked out $190 for the E-Flights but $350 is totally beyond reason. It's unfortunate because I do think that Robart has made some good design decisions which should allow these to be used in our glow classic pattern planes. I would have payed a premium but not 2X. I have not had an E-Flight nose gear last more than 7 flights (the shortest was 1 flight on a new nose gear!) I am now putting mechanical retracts in my Phoenix 7.

Hi Jon,
    Be sure to land on the back wheels on these Classics, OK?
    Miss you guys, hope to see you later in the year.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought new set of spring airs for my new dirty birdy arf based on the postings here, I have the E-flights too for my P-7, and am going to order another set of spring airs for it.., not sure what to do with the E-flites other than eBay them..... spring air is going to release their electric retracts as well....should be interesting!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Spring Air electrics would be great too but I hope the price point is not like the Robarts! Probably all retract manufacturers will have to release electrics to survive - plug n play is hard to beat. And prices will come down. Heck they are pretty much standard equipment on the foamies now. The "Chinatracks" are under $10 each and work fine... New ones come with metal mounting plate and trunnion too.

lfinney is your probelm with eflites also with the nose gear?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On another topic, what servos is everyone using?

DS821s or something better/faster?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine flies just great on the 821's.
    TonyF - Team Horizon, Team BJ Craft, Team Contra Drive, Neu Motors
    2010,2009 US Masters Champion,2011 Masters Also-Ran

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those 821's are the best bang for the buck! Tight geartrain, decent speed and torque, and excellent centering.
    Don\'\'t just stand there, go get some glue!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i havent installed the E-Flites, based on the complaints from this forum on the P-7 they are sitting on my bench. my prior experience has been with spring-airs, and Mk mechanical retracts which have been very good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys! I also like the 821's. Very tight gear train and excellent centering. They had problems with vibration shearing the output shaft for larger helis. So no issues with it in P7?

I thought of using s9650s for ailerons and maybe single elevator. They are lighter and faster, and decent torque on 6V. Worked great in the ail/elev in my 62" Osiris (much bigger surfaces), and of course for elevator halves in 2Ms. They don't cost much more than DS821s but I have to shim the servo mount. Worth the effort?

On the build, finally had cowl cut and the YS-60FS mounted in the P7. Had to make a small opening for the regulator on the other side but all came out great. The rest is just deciding and mounting the gear and radio components. Should be quick!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

First..........go back to page 25 and read post #616.

With the Dub Jett style muffler, everythings OK, but can't use it due to our clubs' noise restrictions.

Using the supplied EVO NX muffler, I just couldn't get any performance. It's like the supplied muffler is strangling any performance. I could not tune out a leaning condition on any outside maneuver and was constantly popping plugs even with the use of the head shim gasket kit. I saw some fuel foaming at the carb line so I installed a smaller tank completely covered in foam.......same annoying lean-out !

After a lot of frustration, and wasted time, I finally got rid of the EVO NX and installed an O.S. 65AX.

Now I've got a nice dependable quiet engine and plenty of power...........not screaming power......but dependable power !

Only downside is I had to re-butch the cowl for the O.S.[:'(]

Total weight not too bad at 8.5 pounds.

Put a couple of break-in flights on the new engine today. So far so good..........

Bottom line is now I'm a happy camper !

I've also got a Hangar 9 Jackal and will probably use the same powerplant.

Joe M.
    Hi Joe,
    What prop size u have with the 65AX? did you have to modify the engine mount location at the level of the firewall?
    Thanks
    Fadi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lfinney

i havent installed the E-Flites, based on the complaints from this forum on the P-7 they are sitting on my bench. my prior experience has been with spring-airs, and Mk mechanical retracts which have been very good.
    Good idea, I got exactly one flight on mine before they quit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fadi6149

Hi Joe,
    What prop size u have with the 65AX? did you have to modify the engine mount location at the level of the firewall?
    Thanks
    Fadi
    [/quote]

Hi fadi,

I started off with a 12x7 APC and then a 12x6 APC. The 12x6 APC worked the best of the two, but due to its length, it was constantly cutting the grass.

Then I tried a shorter 11x8 APC. This has worked out the best.

As far as the engine mount, the supplied mount was used. Yes, the orginal location on the firewall was slightly changed.

I can't really see it now or photograph it, but from what I remember, I CA'd a pair of hardwood dowls into two of the original engine mount holes on the firewall. They were then re-drilled and blind nuts were installed. No big deal.

The EFlite electric retracts ? Yeah, for me it's been either a love or hate relationship with them. I had to look around the shop and I counted 6 sets of them. On three of my planes they have worked flawlessly, but on the other three planes they have been very undependable........they seem to work when they want to.

I can't remember how many times I have either returned a set of them back to my local hobby shop, or returned them to Horizon Hobby for repair.[:'(]

Every one I've met using these retracts seems to have had a problem with them. They all tell me usually they stop working for no apparent reason ??[:'(] I smile and say "I know what you mean".

For my next set of retracts I'll probably try out the new Robarts electrics.

Joe M.
    Joe Mamma

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe, what RPM are you getting from your .65AX on the 11x8?
    Don\'\'t just stand there, go get some glue!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Joe, what RPM are you getting from your .65AX on the 11x8?

12,300-12,400 on an APC 11x8 using an O.S. #8 plug.

That's with a bone stock engine with the supplied (quiet-type) muffler. Due to our clubs DB noise rule, the internal muffler baffle is also still installed.

I'm jealous of you fellahs with no maximum noise requirements. You should all be counting your blessings.

Joe M.
    Joe Mamma

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: fadi6149

Hi Joe,
    Thanks
    Fadi
    Hi fadi,

I started off with a 12x7 APC and then a 12x6 APC. The 12x6 APC worked the best of the two, but due to its length, it was constantly cutting the grass.

Then I tried a shorter 11x8 APC. This has worked out the best.

As far as the engine mount, the supplied mount was used. Yes, the orginal location on the firewall was slightly changed.

I can't really see it now or photograph it, but from what I remember, I CA'd a pair of hardwood dowls into two of the original engine mount holes on the firewall. They were then re-drilled and blind nuts were installed. No big deal.

The EFlite electric retracts ? Yeah, for me it's been either a love or hate relationship with them. I had to look around the shop and I counted 6 sets of them. On three of my planes they have worked flawlessly, but on the other three planes they have been very undependable........they seem to work when they want to.

I can't remember how many times I have either returned a set of them back to my local hobby shop, or returned them to Horizon Hobby for repair.[:'(]

Every one I've met using these retracts seems to have had a problem with them. They all tell me usually they stop working for no apparent reason ??[:'(] I smile and say ''I know what you mean''.

For my next set of retracts I'll probably try out the new Robarts electrics.

Joe M.
    [/quote]

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your answer! you must have used a long drill bit to reach the firewall cause it's a tight space where the engine fits.
    you must have added weights at the tail right?
    Thanks
    Fadi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How is this for stopped working?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61875.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	1765105  
    Ed Peel AMA 2680 NECPO#58
    Wayne County R/C Club
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #139

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast