Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

Wow, I can't believe they're really going to make it. I think with this plane, my Tiporare, and my Kwik Fli, I'll be set on pattern planes. Now all I need is a wood-paneled 70's County Squire wagon with some Todd Rundgren in the 8-track player to take them all to the field.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll take a wood paneled 1971 Chevrolet wagon with the clam shell rear door.

Vince
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Tommygun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Vince
Yeah, actually, I would too, being a hardcore GM fan. My grandfather had a huge white 1973 Impala clamshell wagon, smallblock 400- still wish I took it off his hands when he was offering. Would've been a heck of a plane hauler for sure. I referenced the Squire in the scenario since they were more iconic- hence more familiar to everyone than the GM Estate wagons of the day. I'm half tempted to pick up a clamshell if I run across a good deal. Anyone know what equipment I'd need to replicate an early 1970's era field box to set on the tailgate? Already have an old Kraft Gold box- gotta go for the whole effect ya know.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Vince
Yeah, actually, I would too, being a hardcore GM fan. My grandfather had a huge white 1973 Impala clamshell wagon, smallblock 400- still wish I took it off his hands when he was offering. Would've been a heck of a plane hauler for sure. I referenced the Squire in the scenario since they were more iconic- hence more familiar to everyone than the GM Estate wagons of the day. I'm half tempted to pick up a clamshell if I run across a good deal. Anyone know what equipment I'd need to replicate an early 1970's era field box to set on the tailgate? Already have an old Kraft Gold box- gotta go for the whole effect ya know.
What could be more American than that, a GM clamshell wagon, Kraft radio and an American designed Phoenix 7 that was hand crafted by the Horizon Hobbies’ craftsmen out on Fieldstone Road in Champaign, IL USA. It would be interesting to see some pictures of the Phoenix 7s being built.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:47 PM
crankpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remember that. Wife and I were in our first house, 1973, paid $18K for it. Dave Brown lived 5 minutes from our home. He and Sally had a 1971 blue Chevrolet station wagon, he had 2 children, we had our first daughter. He affixed two aluminum, looked like TV antenna tube's, from L to R rear inside top, wrapped with wing sealing tape foam. This is where the Phoenix wing's would ride. My evening's were spent in Dave's basement, building Phoenix', drinking Stroh's, not always, but usual thirst quencher.
Good education on glass fuselage's and foam wing's. The Chevy had a 400 small block, not the big block, but the punched out small block, maybe stroked a little. Wife and I could not afford two cars, so the Chevy was used for everything.

The clamshell rear door. The best for RC, I built rack's for the fuselage's. Go to a contest, took daughter, wife, cooler, off we went. Can't believe we were always doing 75-80, on belted tire's. No such thing as radial's, but disc brake's were standard on most vehicle's then, drums on the rear. Phoenix', Super Tigre Bluehead's, or G61ABC's, Harry Roe 25% Ucon oil fuel, Top Flite 11X7.5" Super M's, cut down to 10.5". I used the WE Expert series then, never a problem, but eventually went to Pro-Line and Kraft, as not being a WE employee anymore, I could use any radio, if I could afford it. Kraft and ProLine were big stuff back then.

Crank
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We chose the P7 for a few reasons. First, it was quite popular in the mid-late 70's and is as likely to succeed as any of the top classic designs from that era.
Its a personal project for myself as well. Watching Dave Brown, Mark Radcliff and Don Lowe as a kid is probably the biggest reason I do what I do today. They were my childhood heros and in the days when they flew the P5 through the P7 I would watch and dream of flying with them one day.
Fortunately Don Lowe is as much of a gentleman as he is a famous airplane designer and very graciously worked with us to do the P-7.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM
alcarafa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

We chose the P7 for a few reasons. First, it was quite popular in the mid-late 70's and is as likely to succeed as any of the top classic designs from that era.
Its a personal project for myself as well. Watching Dave Brown, Mark Radcliff and Don Lowe as a kid is probably the biggest reason I do what I do today. They were my childhood heros and in the days when they flew the P5 through the P7 I would watch and dream of flying with them one day.
Fortunately Don Lowe is as much of a gentleman as he is a famous airplane designer and very graciously worked with us to do the P-7.
Mike thanks for your reply, I thought main reason was : it's an american design and great flier.

Hope P7 becomes a succesful seller and in the near future H9 may consider developing other CPP's like CURARE, AURORA, BLUE ANGEL etc ......so many to choose out.

Congratulations great project.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
crankpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can see Mike's choice, very clearly. Mike grew up in the shadow's of Don Lowe, Dave Brown, and some more flyer's in that area of Ohio. It is a great testimonial to Don Lowe, to produce one of the Phoenix series, and of course Dave Brown, with his sidekick, Sally, calling the maneuver's.
The P-7 is a great choice. A lot of us flew with Don and Dave, and other's, wishing we could do the 4 and 8 point roll's like they did. We got a lot of inspiration from them, and did our best to copy their style. I never got that good, but it made my day if one of them at a contest said, "That was a nice flight". Those word's coming from them were better then any award.

Thanks Mike, you made our day, the Phoenix 7 ARF came along at the right time. Now we may see more old pattern flyer's, get out of the house and on the field. Make for happy wive's. The World Intruder helped, but it left a lot on the table. It is very capable in the hands of a good flyer, but for presentation, can't beat the Phoenix. Tom Scott's P-5 attached, along with DL's P-10, Dave & Sally at a contest.

Vince
Hobe Sound, FL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88515.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	1288713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70546.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1288714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67574.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1288715  
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Vince

I drove the wife's 73 Chevy Impala 4-door hardtop off and on for a few years. Yes, the huge vault of a trunk could handle some 1/4 scale models and anyone driving anything short of an 18 wheeler yielded the right of way, but that 350 CID engine powered land barge could truly consume mass quantities of gasoline. My Chrysler Town & Country minivan sips on gas compared to that Impala and it has enough storage capacity, thank you. I'll fly nostalgic patternships, but I say no to paying nostalgic fuel bills. Still, it's nice imagining...

Ed Cregger
Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ahh Vince and allthe rest, what sweet tales. Having left RC flying (particularly pattern) in pursuit of full scale flying for the past 27 years (except for some RC flights here and there), I never imagined that the "old" style of pattern would ever return. My last great effort was at the 1980 Nats at Wilmington, saw many of those great names fly. The balsa for the Tiger Tail has been ordered, hope to fly it next season as well as visit some of those contests. Your Phoenix' look awesome too. Keep the time machine turning and long live senior pattern.

Mark
Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 AM
crankpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Way to go Mark. Maybe the new Phoenix 7 will bring back more old pattern flyer's. I say old, maybe just "seasoned". Working on another P-6, keep us updated on the T-Tail. I just purchased 6" skin's from Balsa USA. I asked for matched sheets, and they are perfect. Good to hear from you. Tom Scott's P-5 in flight. Close up of finished P-6, and a new one being born.

Vince

Name:	Us52556.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1289393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1289394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99493.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1289395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92376.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1289396  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 AM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crank
Thats Don with my p-8. Good looking Pic though

gary
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM
crankpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Gary - My only claim to fame, that P-8 kit came from my hangar. Looks great, you did a nice job.

Crank
Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
hairy46

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes its time to bring old time pattern flying back! Lets make it happen! with this plane and more that will be sure to come, I'm in!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
grcourtney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yup!! and it flies well also!!!

gary
Old 10-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Tommygun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So you think a piped OS .91 FX would be too much engine for this plane?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes. Probably hard to physically fit too. A piped 60 gives the P7 plenty of power.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
RCBruski65
My Feedback: (44)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I first got into pattern Harry Roe was one of the elders on the circuit. I used to enjoy seeing Harry at contests and even bought a couple of brushfire kits from him. Those were the good old days.

Tim
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
grcourtney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jon Lowe has a p-6 with a 91 4c in it. Its a bit heavy up front but pulls well. Gives me the willies when he flies it ,it just sounds wrong!!!

gary
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM
crankpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: grcourtney

Jon Lowe has a p-6 with a 91 4c in it. Its a bit heavy up front but pulls well. Gives me the willies when he flies it ,
it just sounds wrong!!!
gary

A Phoenix that sounds like my John Deere ? Ouch !
Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

Guys, I'm a little embarrased nothaving RPM figures for the new engine, but I dont trust my memory and will have to get them. I remember thinking it was good when I first ran it and find the power in the P7 is be excellent.

As for the Robart Spring downs, I dont know the answer to the question of them being interchangable with the Spring Airs. Personally, in the day I always ran Southern (Dave Brown) retracts, but today, pnumatics work well and are just easier to install.
Mike, do you have those RPM figures yet. I’m interested in seeing what this motor can do.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 AM
maddog 71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im all over this Im not a competition pattern flyer But I just love the way a pattern plane flys Put in a YS 110 and now we have presision I remember when I had a sig comet that I wished I had now It was a great plane!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:33 AM
maddog 71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anybody Know when they will be available
Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 PM
crankpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A YS 110 in this Phoenix ? I think you mean a good 61 ?

Crank

Name:	Hf98786.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1296848  
Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
cllaurit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With a 110 the plane would spin and the prop would stand still.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service