Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Rhom air retracts leaks and o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rhom air retracts leaks and o-rings

I posted the following questions in the "Questions and Answers" forum but thought this forum might be a better place to find the answer from one of the Classic Pattern flyers from the 70's.

I am re-storing my classic Saturn pattern plane and plan to use the original Rhom air retracts. I plan on replacing all the o-rings. When I remove the cylinder the two large o-rings are obvious. What I can't figure out is what keeps air from leaking out around the plunger rod where it exits the cylinder when the retracts are in the down position. Does the threaded fitting the cylinder screws onto (and the rod goes thru) have an o-ring in it? If so how do you get to it?
Thanks,
Ralph White
Neoga, IL

After posting this question, I believe I can see an o-ring down in the hole. But how do you get it out and a new one in? I don't see how to unscrew the threaded fitting the cylinder screws onto without damaging the threads on the outside dia.
Thanks again,
Ralph White
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18996.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	1316194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11454.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	1316195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28932.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	1316196  
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rhom air retracts leaks and o-rings

Ralph,

Do a search, earlier this year there was a thread detailing the questions you're asking. BTW - good choice to bring your Saturn back to life.

BTW - I came across a partial build earlier this year and picked it up. It sure is a nice looking pattern ship!

FB
Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harbor freight has a set of dental picks that i use to extract o-rings with, i have had good luck with using compressed air to blow them out as well
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I restored my P7 with Rohm Airs after it sat for over 30 years. My first intention was to rebuild them but after cleaning and new valve and lines they held 100 psi overnite! I would try that first and only repair what leaks.