Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ed Kecks pattern planes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ed Kecks pattern planes

Vince, Ron,
I'll see what I can dig up. I do recall Jimmy's green and black ship. For some reason I always thought it was a Vertigo (don't know why). I know he was a member of the Radio Control Club of Chicago (RC3, my old club) but I'm pretty sure he was also a member of the Chicago Model Masters, which is still active at our old field (Kickapoo Woods in Harvey, IL). I have a bunch of old photos that I had scanned some time back so I'll have to dig those up. I'm finding stuff every time I open a box from the attic (like the NIB Goldberg field box just the other day and my Rossi 60 last month). I'm pretty sure that Jerry Worth actually painted a few ships for him too; I'm pretty sure Jimmy flew a Mach1 in the early seventies. I see you're from Joliet Ron, I was in the south burbs but I've been up by the Fox Valley area for 14 years now. I recall how jovial Jimmy was, a real gentleman who always smiled and had something nice to say to you.
On another note, I see someone got himself a really nice P-7 at a really nice price. I was tempted until I saw the note regarding the shipping, I had hoped you'd get it Vince. I'm thinking of getting myself a Tiger Tail short kit from Eureka, just to have 3 in the barn. Any idea if the EAC kits are good value?
Mark
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark - I am not sure of the Eureka kits. A guy called me this week, wants to get together down in the W. Palm area, an old pattern flyer, he just bought an Eureka short kit, I think Cruare, dunno. Thanks for the digging on Jimmy. I worked at World Engine's with Dave Brown back in those days. Jimmy would come to the Manufacturer's Invitational, put on by WE. We would get Craig Asher, the engine guy from WE out there, to help Jimmy with the RV ST's he was running, they could never get a good idle with the RV carb's.

The P-7. Yes, I won it, nice kit, and epoxy fuse. I have never heard that Bridi was kitting that plane ? Skyglas or Airborne Associate's was all I knew. A week ago, an RCU member, JPal, put up an epoxy P-8 on classified, RCU, $125.00. I had auctiioned an epoxy P-8 last year, and Gary Courtney from Huntsville won it. Now the P-8 came up, I hesitated, asked for a picture, it looked good, I backed out. I had talked to the guy that put the P-7 up, and the shipping issue was exposed in the ad. If you looked at the bottom of the ad, there was the question's about the shipping and answered by the lister, right there. He said yes, with proper fund's.

I was concerned, because now, the whole world saw the city and zip code for shipping, and of course, it was me. Now, I figured, I will have to be quick to bid, and bid to win. Got lucky.

Vince
Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stripes

Duane, who took that photo? It is the backs of all the major subjects (at least those whose heads aren't cut off) and obscures each of the planes. I do particularly like his underpants peeking out though.
My Dad took the picture...we were behind the spectator's barricade, so he had to take a picture of what was there to take. If those guys wanted to be immortalized in this photo, they should have turned around. Admittedly he was not a great photographer, but you know what, at least we HAVE this picture and several others some 44 years later.

The picture at least shows shows that the orange and white plane was Ed Keck's...maybe the orange/blue one, I don't know.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
rcrmel

Duane I NEED YOUR ADDRESS TO SEND YOU MORE PHOTOS. E MAIL ME MEL. [email protected]
Old 12-13-2009, 05:39 PM
rcrmel

Duane. I am sorry but I just do not know how to navigate much here. I did notice your reply but it came up as your profile and no address. Please e mail me then I will know how to do this. its [email protected]
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Fred Keck

[/quote]

OK Here is th picture I was talking about. You can see the sign with his name on it, unless someone else was sitting on his tool box.
We are talking about 1965 here, and this is a very slick looking plane for that year. I don't know what passes for "Kecky", but I think this plane was "Kecky" enough for '65. Note the blue and orange plane next to him? What is that?

Duane
[/quote]

Sorry to bump and old post, that picture is indeed Ed Keck and that plane is indeed Kecky looking. My dad passed 6 years ago this week and we all miss him dearly, but it's very comforting to know that he's still remember and well thought of by his fellow modelers. Just reading over this thread brought back a lot of memories. Thanks!

Fred Keck
Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM
dave pattern
My Feedback: (3)

Fred,
we too miss your Dad.
The first F1C free flight contest I flew in a number of years ago was at lost hills and someone (George Batiuk)decided that i should fly with the "team" on there flight pole. Ed Keck ,Gill Moriss and Randy Archer.
I was elated to do so and your Dad was very helpfull and a great guy to get to know.
I didn.t realize at the time he was the revered pattern flyer from times past or we would have had that to talk about between rounds.
Dave Shirley jr.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see this thread back. Looks like we sat on it for about a year. Thanks !.

Crankpin (Vince)
Hobe Sound, FL
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 AM
RFJ

Ron.

Came across this shot of Jimmy. Not sure if it has been posted before. From a Midwest ad in August 1972 RCM.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27040.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1495534  
Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Great shot of Jimmy and the Anonymous , thanks a lot Ray.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM

What is that white with orange plane he's holding?

[/quote]
OK Here is th picture I was talking about. You can see the sign with his name on it, unless someone else was sitting on his tool box.
We are talking about 1965 here, and this is a very slick looking plane for that year. I don't know what passes for ''Kecky'', but I think this plane was ''Kecky'' enough for '65. Note the blue and orange plane next to him? What is that?
Duane
[/quote]
Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM
casniffer
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,
Does anyone have plans for the Starfire? I'll be happy to digitze.

Thanks
casniffer