Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Elev / in-flight mixture coupling - solution to phoenix 7 tank position problem

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Elev / in-flight mixture coupling - solution to phoenix 7 tank position problem

Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Elev / in-flight mixture coupling - solution to phoenix 7 tank position problem

Tried the Perry Pump system on my O.S. 61-SF in the Phoenix 7 like Tony F suggested. It helped some, but seemed finicky and not very reliable from one flying session to another. Then I remembered O.S. sells an In-Flight needle valve control for a number of carbs including the one on the SF. My plan was to richen the mixture prior to outside loops, etc., then "the light went on". Why not couple the mixture control with elevator? I now have it set up so that the mixture servo is controlled by a lever control on the tx and the coupling can be turned on/off with one of the toggle switches. When coupling is ON, and DOWN ELEV is applied, the mixture is RICHENED, and is LEANED a bit with UP ELEV. With some tweaking, I found it was possible to make the plane perform just like a normal non-pumper engine with a PROPERLY PLACED fuel tank. I've now said "goodbye" to the pump. Worked so well, I wonder why hasn't anyone used it before. I actually doubt I'm the first to try this, but haven't heard or read of anyone else using a similar setup.http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...51&P=MLI'm not sure what other manufacturers offer a similar fitting, but might be worth checking out. The In-flight mixture control has a very coarse thread to allow more adjustment range from the roughly 1/4 turn that the servo can provide. It's also nice to be able to set the mixture without being anywhere near the prop, and tweak it during flight without having to land. Hope this helps someone else. The P7 is a great-flying bird once you get the engine running consistently.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:57 AM
sehlers

Hey Mr, Dent ,
We have been flying the P-7 for over 3 years and figured out that problem in the beginning . Due to the issue of not being able to put the tank on carb center-line because of fuse
shape , the Answer was to go to a "Bubble-less" tank . Tetra or Jet are being used by Everybody in our region to cure this issue .The problem in High G outside maneuvers is Not an
issue anymore .We also run Ultra Thrust and Jett tuned mufflers and can set the mixure witout any change in flight . The Pylon Racers learned this Years Ago . You can even run a tank on the CG without using a Hopper tank ,or Pump engine or setup . You have to learn how to get ALL the air out when filling ,but after that experience , you will not have issues .
Steve
Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Wish I had known about those tanks earlier! Sounds like a good and simple solution if it works like you say. I've always liked in-flight mixture control for being able to tweak the setting while the plane is airborne and not having to kneel down and reach close to the prop while setting the mixture on the ground. Electronic coupling seems to have solved the tank location problem for me, and has the other benefits as well. Thanks for posting this info to give myself and others more options. The P7 is a great bird with the fuel draw situation corrected. Wish they hadn't stopped production.