Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Where is the BPA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 PM
KLXMASTER14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the BPA?

I am an SPA member, and even though there is no SPA activity (yet) out here on the west coast, I belong so I can support the cause. I think that the SPA is a really great deal, and agree with the concept.

That being said, my heart really belongs in BPA territory. I grew up in the era of blistering fast pattern planes with retracts as standard, and pipes, and often Perry pumps with the accompanying large bore carbs. Add a Pro-Line or Kraft Signature Series radio, and you were not a poser. It is my aim to personally re-visit this era, and also my sincere hope that it makes a comeback.

So, where is the BPA? It doesn't seem to actually exist, but at this time is only a concept. If I am wrong, would someone please point me to where I can send in my dues? There is a one page website that has not changed for a long time, and that seems to be it.

Seriously, I don't think that (at this time anyway) that there is a large enough population of Ballistic enthusiasts to form an actual organization or support the activities (running contests, etc). Or is there? Am I wrong on this? Has the time come?

I know that it has been proposed by some to incorporate BPA in to maybe the SPA (most logical) or maybe NSRCA (o.k. like that's going to happen), and some have said "well no because.....", but it is a well known fact that there is strength in numbers.

Right now there is nothing. Maybe there will never be a standalone type of BPA organization. Would it not be wise to consider an existing organization to take BPA "under it's wing" either temporarily until it could stand on it's own, or permanently as another class?

What say you?

Please note that the intent of this thread is to initiate thinking and discussion of this subject (BPA), and is not to be construed as an attempt to "alter" an existing association, such as SPA, or be otherwise inflammatory.

-Robert

(Edited for spelling.)
Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Where is the BPA?

the BPA website leaves a lot to be desired, that's for sure.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:49 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about the 45 size and under class of BPA like association that was being formed? I forget it's name but anyone know what I'm talking about? How's that group doing?

David.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Robert,
As a few fine gentlemen suggested a few months back when this type of talk was bantered about, we may as well attempt something on our own in SoCal. Having never been to a Pattern contest I have no knowledge of how it works, but I think a few guys around our Pomona Valley club that are F3A guys might help out. How about some of the guys in the Valley?
There were a couple of Tipo flyers in the Valley, an Arrow flying airline pilot in our club, a bunch of Kaos flyers too. Might be able to get some contestants. Probably could do something if we tried.
I'll ask our club guys...all we need is a CD, some judges and lead time for advertising I guess...maybe a fall thing with an "all designs 50's to prior to turnaround" separated by skill classes?
Chris...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

Only one contest a year BPA wise. Not much need for a website but we still have it up. If you desire something to be added to the site email Tony, He probably would add it. I do know he is very busy running the online rc report and holdin down a real job. More action on this forum anyway bpa wise. There will be a change to the masters pattern for the Huntsville contest this year and it will be updated on the website as soon as the schedule is decided on...

gary
Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

I have sent a email thru the website for a new forum that is out their with all the classic organizations out there all under one roof to use .. There has been no reply.. The have there own section right now..

scott
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Is that the MPA you're referring to Dox? The Mini Pattern Association? It's at http://www.minipattern.com/
I'm somewhat interested in it if only to get more contest experience over the next few years. The site appears to be active.
hook57
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM
KLXMASTER14

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Hi Robert,
As a few fine gentlemen suggested a few months back when this type of talk was bantered about, we may as well attempt something on our own in SoCal. Having never been to a Pattern contest I have no knowledge of how it works, but I think a few guys around our Pomona Valley club that are F3A guys might help out. How about some of the guys in the Valley?
There were a couple of Tipo flyers in the Valley, an Arrow flying airline pilot in our club, a bunch of Kaos flyers too. Might be able to get some contestants. Probably could do something if we tried.
I'll ask our club guys...all we need is a CD, some judges and lead time for advertising I guess...maybe a fall thing with an ''all designs 50's to prior to turnaround'' separated by skill classes?
Chris...

Hi Chris,
My buddy that I fly (pattern practice) with here at the Camarillo field was a CD back in the 80's. He may well be interested in helping to put something together. There are some active IMAC fliers in my club, plus a few others that have spoken with interest in some kind of pattern event, perhaps informal.
let's aim at getting an informal "gathering" together at one of the club fields we belong to sometime in the first half of the year. I think that would be a good first step toward future Classic Pattern activity. The south and the east seem to have it going on, it is time to get it going out west as well. It's got to start somewhere. Why not with us. I like the "all designs" concept, separated by skill classes that you propose. This inclusive approach would promote participation.

-Robert

P.S. Check out the Mini Pattern site. They have the right idea.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 AM
grcourtney

Robert,

The inclusive approach has worked quite well for our contest in Huntsville. This type of event brings out the fun more than the competitive nature of pattern.

gary
Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 PM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

Hi Robert,
I'll ask our club guys...all we need is a CD, some judges and lead time for advertising I guess...maybe a fall thing with an ''all designs 50's to prior to turnaround'' separated by skill classes?
Chris...

Hi Chris,
My buddy that I fly (pattern practice) with here at the Camarillo field was a CD back in the 80's. He may well be interested in helping to put something together. There are some active IMAC fliers in my club, plus a few others that have spoken with interest in some kind of pattern event, perhaps informal.
let's aim at getting an informal ''gathering'' together at one of the club fields we belong to sometime in the first half of the year. I think that would be a good first step toward future Classic Pattern activity. The south and the east seem to have it going on, it is time to get it going out west as well. It's got to start somewhere. Why not with us. I like the ''all designs'' concept, separated by skill classes that you propose. This inclusive approach would promote participation.

-Robert

P.S. Check out the Mini Pattern site. They have the right idea.

Hi Robert,
I agree that the main idea will be to get some people interested. Though my desires lie in flying the older designs, we have to get some guys to show up. Flying anything at an informal gathering would be a great start, I'm sure.
I looked at the Mini Pattern site, good to see enthusiastic participation. (Is this the Huntsville meet you are refering to, Gary. Looks like fun.) Now to get some here in SoCal.
Robert, I'll be in touch.
Chris...

Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 PM
KLXMASTER14

OK Chris, I'll be looking forward to it. If the Vertigo isn't finished by then, I'll fly what I've got (Venus II). I'll be talking with others in my local to get some interest as well.

-Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42606.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1330292  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM
grcourtney

The Huntsville contest is not the mini if thats your ?. Its a straight up bpa contest with no one turned away, we have even had a 2m plane fly novice he didn't win but he now is working on a BPA style aircraft. In my eyes proof of the inclusive approach works...

gary
Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
stuntflyr

Thanks for the input, Gary. Getting all the players put together through a forum thread is hard for me, CRS and all!

Speaking of BPA, SPA and Mini Pattern reminds me a bit of C/L Stunt as it is today, or the difference between R/C Aerobatic contests and C/L contests I should say. At a typical C/L Aerobatic contest, there will be several Stunt events during the contest, Old Time (up to "53 designs and pattern), Classic (up to 1970 designs and pattern) and AMA using skill classes rather than age classes. Along with that there is Profile and 1 CC. This gets all of the sub-groups together flying all events at one contest.

When I got into R/C last year I kind of assumed the same would be happening, but there are just F3A and IMAC contests here in SoCal and nothing else for aerobatics. I guess there is a more closed-club thought process in R/C across the country.

Gotta go fly to SFO, more later...

Chris...
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 AM
ShineyObject
My Feedback: (4)

Tell you what I will do. If southern CA wants an SPA'ish contest and you want someone to CD it I will come from Georgia and run it for you. All you have to do is schedule it in our winter months (Jan - Feb) or in between the scheduled SPA events for 2010. You will need to pick me up at the airport and haul me around. Provide a place to stay (somebody's house would be ok) and I'll do the rest. I have a lot of information I can send to you in advance. Even if you don't need me to come I would be more than happy to send information your way.

Mike Robinson, SPA 70
Sec./Treasurer, The Senior Pattern Association

Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 PM
KLXMASTER14

Mike,
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Your offer of support is awesome to say the least. If all goes well, we may very well take you up on your offer, at whatever level. Your knowledge and experience would be key to success. Even hosting a local club fun-fly can be a daunting experience. I believe that a well run event here in So. Cal would be a giant springboard for classic pattern in the region.

Best regards,
Robert
Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM
ShineyObject
My Feedback: (4)

The SPA has pockets of interest and membership in several areas of the country and even a following in Canada. One of the things I would like to see is new and active groups all over the U.S. It just takes a couple of dedicated individuals to get something going, so if I can help you get kick started then I am in.
I'm hopeful that the scheduling in 2010 will allow me to go to Ft. Worth, TX this year! They have a small dedicated crew out there and I'd sure like to go visit them.
I was the CD of the Chattanooga contest this year and we had fourty one pilots there! I anticipate a similar gathering in 2010 and plan on using three flight lines! most all of our contest in 2009 had more than thirty pilots attending.
In 2010 we will have contest from Texas to the Carolinas and from Tennesse to south Florida. I hope to see contests all over the U.S someday and California would be a great place to start a new hot bed of classic pattern flying. Please DO let me know if we - the SPA - can help.
Mike Robinson SPA 70

(BTW - I keep wanting to go over to Huntsville, AL to the BPA contest, but scheduling conflicts have prevented it so far. Maybe this year!)
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert,

You ask a very good question in "Where is the BPA?" I have a few ideas on the subject I'd like to post here.

I believe there are a lot of guys out there that truly have a fond rememberance of what Pattern flying used to be. In a lot of clubs, the pattern flyers were the guys that flew the latest, greatest planes, had the most skill and contributed a lot to the club membership. We remember the piped engines, retracts, and the beautiful, smooth flying airframes that made up the total experience. I bring all this back to light because that was the incentive to start a group like the Ballistic Pattern Association. Like a lot of excellent ideas, this one just didn't get off the runway yet.

Gary Courtney and the Huntsville group have twice provided a contest geared to and for BPA flyers. A Florida club I believe has done the same. Here in North Carolina, to be quite honest, I feel like nothing was done and the main reason I know that is that I should have been the one doing something. 2009 hasn't been a stellar year for me and for reasons I will not get into many things just didn't get done. Getting something done just simply is not as simple as it sounds. Rather than dwell on why wasn't something done for BPA I'd rather discuss what I personally plan on doing for the 2010 year.

I am going to discuss having a BPA contest with at least 2 of the major R/C clubs here in central NC. This has to take place in January to give enough lead time to any prospective pilots. I am also going to find out what clubs here in NC have a paved runway which is VERY helpful for low prop clearance, tricycle geared BPA planes. Carolina Custom Aircraft is going to have a website up very soon which will carry all information as it becomes available. Scott Anderson has a classic pattern site current running which I'm sure will also contain any new information.

The key for BPA getting off of the ground is you, the guy who is reading this thread. If you have an idea, please send me an email at [email protected] and I'll be happy to work on it with you. Talk to your local club president and see if you can't have a contest at your club field. A lot of guys shy away from being a CD mostly because that they haven't done it before. Everyone has a first time but don't forget there are people with years of experience that will help you. I really dislike saying this, but if somebody doesn't do something, NOTHING will happen. I'm going to put my best efforts forward this year to get this group flying.

You'll notice that there is no mention of other groups in my post. The reason for that is that we have to make the BPA what we want it to be without concern for other groups rules or positions.

The Ballistic Pattern Association in my opinion represents: Pre 1985 precision aerobatic models of less than 72" wingspan AS DESIGNED. Landing gear; trike/taildragger/retracts are per builder. Power plant; whatever fits without modifying the design. Aerobatic patterns will be as flown in the 1984 patterns. Please keep in mind these are my opinions and that I believe each contest director should have the flexibility to incorporate any and all changes to my suggestions. It is going to take a few contests to shake out the rules and see what works but the main thing here is communication. Let's get these beautiful planes off the ground again in the spirit of what they really used to be. I personally think that will make the BPA a success. Only by giving this our best efforts can we make the future of BPA successful.

Let's use this forum to discuss what needs to be done and what YOU plan on doing about it. I hope my small challenge here will motivate some folks to make the BPA the type of organization that people will want to be a part in making it a success. 2010 is just around the corner. I hope we can make it a year to remember.

Dan

Dan Hines
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Rougemont, NC
[email protected]

Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i can't help but think that our club here in north atlanta isn't one of the most centrally located of clubs. there are many guys here on this forum in ga, tennessee, florida, nc, etc. i would be glad to start proceedings to evaluate whether this could occur at our field. the link to our site is gmarc.com
Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

david,

sent you a PM

scott
Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 AM
stuntflyr

Wow,
A lot of possibilities are cropping up for SoCal, Robert.
Mike Robinson; Thanks for the offer in advance. Planning to commence.
Dan Hines; I am very happy and appreciative of your delivering my T2A MKII kit as promised, so in my book you did a lot in 2009. Your plans sound great.
Scott Anderson; Thanks for your Classic pattern forum, I joined the other day.
I'm trying to procure a SPA legal airplane to be based in FL at my folks winter home so I can hit the SE contests when possible. Will try to make 2010 a big learning year.
Chris...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 AM
KLXMASTER14

Wow,
A lot of possibilities are cropping up for SoCal, Robert.
Mike Robinson; Thanks for the offer in advance. Planning to commence.
Dan Hines; I am very happy and appreciative of your delivering my T2A MKII kit as promised, so in my book you did a lot in 2009. Your plans sound great.
Scott Anderson; Thanks for your Classic pattern forum, I joined the other day.
I'm trying to procure a SPA legal airplane to be based in FL at my folks winter home so I can hit the SE contests when possible. Will try to make 2010 a big learning year.
Chris...
Chris,
Sent you a PM.

-Robert
Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 AM
stuntflyr

Hi Robert,
Got it, returned same. I have a bunch of days off after Christmas, call.
Chris...
Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 AM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

I guess I better start looking at getting the Omega flying again. I think the only thing it needs is a hopper tank so I don't have to worry about the Rossi surging.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
RMcL

BPA exists...Gary, Tony and the Huntsville crew have hosted three events now. RCACF in Orlando has hosted two. Participation has been good and there has been no formality around any of it yet. So far, this is a good thing!

Should anyone want to get serious, I suggest 72" wingspan, non-turnaround pattern and anything else goes. The type of patterns being flown and the "nostalgia movement" have done a good job so far at dictating the designs that show up.

SPA is a fine organization and would be the logical home for this activity. They do not want it so we'll just have to wait until people have the time to build planes and the motivation to come out and fly them. As Gary mentioned before, electric should always be welcome and those who have SPA electric planes (TeamVortex!) should keep them and come fly BPA.

DanNC is a looong drive, but so is Huntsville and I make that every year. I'll do my best to come support your effort.

SoCalhold a contest, call it a fun fly and see what happens. The "organization" aspect can wait until later.

Ryan

Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

We're planning on having an old-style pattern event added to our regular AMA pattern event in Lancaster, CA on April 3rd and 4th. If it goes over well we may add it to the Spring Pattern Meet in Arvin, CA on May 1st and 2nd.

Not sure what rules yet. Probably any airplane before 1984 and the old "pick your maneuvers" pattern. We'll have more details in a bit. BTW, the Tailwinds club in Lancaster is hosting the event in April. There's more info on the club at www.avti.org.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.