Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

best way to loosen stuck motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:38 PM
rabbid fly
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best way to loosen stuck motor

Put some antifreeze in a crokpot and cook overnight with the back plate and head off. Salt and pepper to taste
Phil
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: ShineyObject

Jason - Try to avoid the oven and if you must use it, keep it at 200 degrees or less. Also, just use any good grade of 2 stroke oil since some of the other things will damage your pump diaphragm. Just be patient and it will come apart. Sounds like it is new, but needs a little ''encouragement'' to get loosened up.
I use the oven method all the time, considering operating temps are similar. It won't hurt the engine, just preheat the oven before sticking in the engine.
Castor is the reason it's stuck, so any rubbing alcohol will work as a fast solvent, just oil it immediately afterwards. I've done this for years with never any negative consequences.
I search for seized engines online to bring them back to life, cheap.
Also, you can feel the castor rumble when turning it over, still sticky on the bearings. Mount it to a bench, fuel it, and run it. Then check to see if your bearings are smooth from there.
The pump diaphragm may not clear up. Oven baking shouldn't take more than 5 minutes at 200 degrees.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Dan M
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rabbid fly

Put some antifreeze in a crokpot and cook overnight with the back plate and head off. Salt and pepper to taste
Phil
i have used this method on over 30 engines !

you have to use "real" coolant (the green stuff) and not the pre-diluted kind either

try not to go over 200 degrees or so , and DO NOT ever use the crock pot for cooking food again .

beware of your pets drinking the stuff , it will kill them and it tastes sweet to them so the will drink it , and absolutely do not do it indoors .

i have had some really nasty engines that took 20 - 24 hours to clean , but they came clean ! , looked damn near new too !

one other method is the one gallon can of Berrymans B-12 chemtool with the "dip basket" , this stuff is hell on the skin and is very aggressive , i have used it and it works in a short amount of time , it comes in a heavy duty one gallon paint can that can be resealed well , if you keep a lid on it the can will last for years .

if you are not 100 % sure that the bearings are perfect replace them , they are fairly cheap , and if they fail during running , the engine is toast .

Dan

Old 12-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Gungadin

Jason-Go to Home Depot and buy a quart of Acetone. Take of the pump, rear cover, carb and the head. Soak it covered up completely with acetone in a very clean container for about 10 hrs. After you take it out of the acetone bath it should be OK unless there is some internal damage. Make sure you drain all the acetone out and let the residual evaporate. You may be surprised to see all the crud that is now in your former "clean" container. Then make sure you oil up both bearings before you start turning it over or flipin the compellor.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Ok, so what oil do I use and where do I get it?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

My bad.

Get this instead, it's made for the job.

http://www.pspec.com/results.asp?key...l&Submit=Go%3E
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

I would not recommend petroleum based products for that engine as they will wreak havoc on the silicone parts in the pump and the carb...I'd handle it just like a YS engine...

I'd recommend:

Mobil 1 Synthetic engine oil...5W-40 or whatever the lowest viscosity Mobile 1 you can find at your local auto parts store...

-Or better yet-

Ultra Oil:
http://www.pspec.com/details.asp?ProdID=40&category=7

Have Fun

Chuck
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Dan M

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I believe you can still buy actual carburetor cleaner in gallon cans at an automotive parts store. These things come with a metal basket in them because the solution is caustic. You do NOT want to stick your hands in the stuff. You already said the carburetor was free, so remove it and the back plate/pump assembly from the engine and set aside to clean separately. Then remove/disassemble anything else that will come loose. Dump the engine, less carburetor and pump, in the basket and immerse in the solution. Put the lid on. At this point, there is nothing in the solution except metal parts. Let it soak overnight, then pull the basket from the solution and thoroughly wash entire mess with tap water or a hose. The carburetor cleaner is water soluble so the basket with the carburetor parts in it will become squeaky clean. Turn the parts several times while flushing with water to ensure getting all the carburetor cleaner out that you possibly can. Having the head removed will help here. When the parts are as clean as they are ever going to be, use air from a compressor or shop vacuum or whatever source of air that you have to thoroughly dry the metal pieces. When they are totally clean and absolutely dry, generously lube with light oil, transmission fluid, or even RC fuel, ensuring that you get the bearings fully lubed and as much as you can on both sides of the piston. At this point you can bolt a prop on it and gently try to turn it. If there is any movement at all, it will eventually come free. If not, the engine is junk. Send it to me and I will dispose of it as necessary.

i replied before i read this post , sorry .
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

SUBMERGE THE ENGINE IN COCA COLA FOR A COUPLE DAYS, YOU'LL BE SURPRISED !!!
DID IT ONCE AND WORKS OK .

AFTER LOOKING AT RESULTS, IM SURE YOU'LL THINK TWICE BEFORE DRINKING ONE EVER AGAIN !
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Please do not soak your engine in Coca Cola! You'll definitely be suprised alright.

I was a Calibration Technicianfor several years and during the Calibration of PH Meters would use Coca Cola as the Low Buffer Solution, in a pinch, when out of the regular 4.0 PH Buffer Solution.

Coca Cola has a perfect PH of 2.5, which is an acid.It will definitely etch an ABC piston and liner. It might be good for cleaning the Aluminum Case of the engine, but only if completely disassembled, e.g. don't use on the steel, nickle, or chrome parts.

I have used the oven method, my heat gun, even a blow dryer once to loosen the engine up.After thatI usecarburator cleaner to finish up. Definitely remove the Carb and pump before attempting any of these cleaning techniques. I think the best cleaner for the pump and Carb is the fuel your going to use for it. It has Methyl Alcohol for cleaning andCastor or syn oil for lube.

Bryan
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

So Chuck, should I send you the engine after the holiday's for a lil lovin?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 AM
James c harrell

I have been working with Two-strokes of all kinds for a long time and have recently found a OLD product that is safe for seals rubber, can be used as a after run, and will free up almost anything stuck. Marvel Mystery Oil. Try it and I think you will be as amazed as I was at how good it works!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I keep Marvel Mystery Oil on hand at all times. I used to use it to clean metal fuel tanks used in outboard boats. A tank that has been sitting outside for some time with fuel in it will get a scaley layer of crap on the inside walls of the tank. I would just dump six or so ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in a partially filled tank, put the cap on, and let it bounce around in the back of my truck for a week or so. Dump the crap out, flush the tank good and blow dry and you will have a clean tank. Never thought about using it on RC engines as I have used the crock pot method on most and on the really bad ones, the carburetor cleaner in the gallon bucket, so I never had the need to try anything else. I'll bet it would work though. Always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 AM
James c harrell

Always amazing how the oldest stuff on the market turns out to be a diamond in the ruff ain't it!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send to H&R Engines(Rich Blatt) in Greenbrook,NJ. Fast ,experienced, reasonable service. Will clean, polish, replace bearings and anything else if necessary. PM if interested.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 AM
kestrel0222

ORIGINAL: rabbid fly

Put some antifreeze in a crokpot and cook overnight with the back plate and head off......
This is the method that I have used a couple of times. It works GREAT!!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Gungadin

Jason-Marvel Air Tool Oil is one. Or 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF, Or Rislone (in the yellow bottle). All of these should be available at most auto parts supply stores. Been using them for years. If you know the name George Aldrich. He was a big fan of the Rislone. Any of the above will be fine. Whatever is easier for you to get hold of. Good Luck
Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 AM
tony0707

hi any time you use water to flush your engine after any cleaning solution is usedyou can use WD40 to absorb any water after that i lube my glo engines with my after run oil -that is 1/2 mystery oil and 1/2 trans fluid a mix
i use to use after run oil after every days flyingi have stopped doing that as i find the engine has to burn off the oil the next daynow i only use after run oil when i am finished flying a given plane and want to retire it for a short timemakes for better engine performance as i see it-the MORGAN OMEGA fuel i use indicates you do not need to use after runbut i do choose to for storage ENJOY REGARDS TONY 'the omega man " think pink ! !
Old 12-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Jason just pull the plug and put some normal glow fuel in the engine through the plug hole,exhaust port and carb. Let it sit awhile, possibly overnight and then slowly work the prop and it'll free up nicely. Don't use automotive carb cleaner on this engine, if any gets into the pump it'll ruin it. Fine for cleaning hard parts however. You can't pull the engine apart if it won't turn, getting it to turn is the first step. Then feel how bad if at all the bearings are.

Tim
Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 PM
grcourtney

Jay

BMFH!!!!LOL

gary