RE: Top Flite Taurus Build
While the spars were drying (24 hours), I added the ply reinforcements to the ribs and setup the torsion bracket. First, using 30 minute epoxy, I secured the ply parts in place with binder clamps. Do yourself a favor and get several boxes of them. They come in different sizes and are very handy to have around. There are two different ply parts, W22 & W23. W22 attaches to rib W2 and has 2 indents in it as a drill guide. Instead of blindly drilling the holes and then gluing the part onto the rib (as suggested by the plans), I wanted to align the torsion bracket and gear block with gear in place. I figured that if the holes were drilled before hand, bracket and gear block alignment later would be an issue. As it turns out, I was correct. When I lined the gear and bracket up, the holes in the ply reinforcement were off a little. Good move.
After the bracket holes are drilled, another piece of ply (W24) is epoxied to the other side of the rib and 3-48 screws and nuts are added. The nuts are glued in place to keep them from coming loose. I could have used Loctite, but I wanted to keep this build "old school" as much as possible.
More to come....