Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Tips for the SPA newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tips for the SPA newbie

I just spent 40 oz of fuel today doing straight and level passes and procedure turns. Man, that is hard! I don't think one pass was the same altitude, or distance from the runway.
I'm noticing the model disappears when it's tail to, and the bottom is all white so that's no help either. I'm working out some more color trim to help.
I am slowing the controls, and adding expo, which is advice from this little thread so thanks to all. It's helping.
My instructor, caller, coach is getting more into the precision aerobatics thing too, he spent all day on slow rolls. With a 20 yo 61SF powered EZ FW-190!
Another couple of hours flying tomorrow and hopefully a little more progress.
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62139.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1380011  
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing after all the years of "boring holes in the sky" how hard it is to fly a straight line!! Factor in a little wind and maybe some bumpy air and it gets even harder...

I was hoping someone would eventually do a video of the SPA Novice and Sportsman sequences but so far I can't find any...I agree with the whole "practicing wrong" theory and feel it would be very beneficial to have some video's for reference...

There is however some good information on the SPA website labeled "Improve your flying skills"...You may wanna read through this info which is very informative...All the maneuvers are described as well as their judging criteria...Choose the links on the left of the page which maneuvers you wish to see explained:
http://www.seniorpattern.com/improve/

You can use the call card list to see what maneuvers you need to work on for which ever class you plan to fly:
http://www.seniorpattern.com/pdf/SPA...DS09-10pdf.pdf

I'm currently practicing individual maneuvers...I'll spend a flight practicing flying straight line's and procedure turn's...Then I may practice Immelman turns (upwind) for a whole flight...Then the Double Stall Turn (upwind) for a flight...I'm trying to concentrate on symmetry and centering...I have not really begun to link maneuvers together to fly the whole sequence yet...Once I feel comfortable flying each maneuver individually I will begin to link the maneuvers together one at a time...I will progressively work my way up to flying the whole sequence in sort of a building block manner...(I learned that from some IMAC guys at my field...That's how they practice)

If your having trouble with a particular maneuver don't keep trying till you get frustrated..Just move on and practice something else for a while and come back to it later...

I learned how to fly without exponential...I am "resisting" adding any expo or mixing and am currently wanting to hand fly the airplane...I think most folks however would recommend a little expo...I don't personally like to have to flip switches when I'm flying because I fear I'll forget...I have my High and Low rates set very close together and may switch to high rates if it's a little windy or something...My control throws are set up mechanically so that they are pretty soft...I'm actually still working on the set up...Trimming and set-up are important (and time consuming)...There are several trimming/set-up guides out there...Having your plane trimmed and set-up properly is advantageous to consistent flying...The wind and other atmospheric conditions are enough to deal with so why would you wanna have to chase your plane around too??
http://nsrca.org/trimA.htm
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1194

I think everyone agrees that it's all about practice...Having your plane set up right is important...Establishing good preflight/postflight procedures are important...Extra eyes watching your flight are defiantly a good thing...

Most of all have some fun!!

Chuck
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering about the SPA rules for novice, or perhaps the enforcement.  I seemed to recall that they did not require SPA legal aircraft and engine size for novice.  But the rules don't say that.  Will the CD usually allow, for example, a .75 two stroke  engine in a SPA legal plane, or say a plane that is not on the approved list?  I thought those rules were only for the advanced, senior, and master catagories, but apparently the rules include this for novice as well.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
fcomer84

You are welcome to fly anything in Novice. However, you will not be scored as the Novice pilots with legal planes. You will receive a certificate of participation for your efforts. At the next contest you attend, YOU WILL have a legal plane because you will be HOOKED!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 AM
ChiefK

OK Mark.... I'm starting that "practice" thing..... as soon as I can get this darn engine to idle correctly#@%$&

ChiefK
Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

We're stuck in the 60's and early 70's and we like it that way.

ChiefK
That is an interesting thought, but I’m not sure SPA is stuck in the 60s and 70s. If they were stuck in the 60s and 70s the aircraft would be more true to the era. They would be built close to the plan, have retracts if the original design had them, two strokes with pipes, etc. I think it is all about fun competition with a certain set of rules and not so much about the 60s and 70s. They are having much fun!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:33 PM
ChiefK

OK... maybe the original intent was to be stuck in the 60's and 70's. Don't try to confuse me with facts.

Greg
Old 07-15-2010, 05:04 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OK... maybe the original intent was to be stuck in the 60's and 70's. Don't try to confuse me with facts.

Greg
I know, the facts always mess stuff up!!! It is a bit of a mind buster though, until you figure out what is really all about.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the late 70's, I was competing in masters class pattern.  I would fly either 3 or 4 days a week after work, and at least one day on the weekend, plus about 8-10 contests a season.  That's after going up through the classes, which for me started with class "A" circa 1973, then novice, advanced, etc.

After all that, I went to the Westover Nats in MA in 1983.  Dave Brown was the pattern CD, and I ended up placing in the middle of the class (I think 27th)

Practice alone doesn't cut it - GOOD practice is what is needed.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 AM
ChiefK

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

Practice alone doesn't cut it - GOOD practice is what is needed.
Makes sense to me, but please tell us what you mean by "good" practice.

ChiefK
Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good practise,Chiefy, is when you take someone else out with you to call the pattern, then sit down after the flight an go through with you tearing your flight, self confidence and ego apart bit by bit. Needless to say, this pillar of wisdom needs to be someone you know, trust and has flown/judged pattern before. Then you go back out and fly each segment over and over until he is satisfied, then start stringing them back together. This burns lots of fuel, is really difficult to do as you unlearn old bad habits, and totally exhausting, mentally. After a month or so you will not recognise your flying, even your landings happen when and where you want them, regardless of the weather conditions. The trick is finding that other person...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:09 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

As a SPA newbie myself, I have learned a few things... such as: don't try to remake the organization. They have a very specific mission statement and they tend to resist suggestions for changes to the ''rules''. SPA is not looking to ''evolve'' with the times. We're stuck in the 60's and early 70's and we like it that way. SPA members are a very friendly and social group, but don't ''flame'' the email group with off topic issues or inflammatory topics such as politics or religion. They will needle each other endlessly, but politics and\or religion, or arguments about changing the rules really frost some members. Go to as many SPA contests as you can. That's where the organization really shines.... I'm currently building a SPA legal model for the up-coming contest season (my first). Go to the website... they have lots to good stuff there. As I make more mistakes with SPA, I'll update my advice.

ChiefK

Contrary to popular belief and contrary to the opinion of some other forum inhabitants, this forum on RC Universe is NOT officially an SPA forum. Am I correct, Mr. Moderator?

There are other classic pattern organizations in the world. Also, some folks that belong to no organization concerning classic pattern, but who just enjoy flying old pattern ships (me) are also known to post here. If one seeks a forum that is biased in favor of the SPA, may I suggest going to the SPA website and using their forum. I'm sure that you will feel all warm and fuzzy in that venue.

Ed Cregger

Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Ed,

I think there is enough in common among the various factions of pattern flyers to share relevant information in this forum. If someone has specific questions regarding SPA and our forum members have enough experience to answers those questions, why would we need to get the forum moderator involved? It's all relevant to "classic" pattern flying isn't it? It's not about advocating one faction over the other... it is about having fun flying "classic" pattern models and sharing our knowledge and experiences in this small niche of the hobby.

TX
Old 07-18-2010, 03:07 PM
ChiefK

Ed,

Official or not, isn't this forum title "Tips for the SPA newbie"? What did I say that is inappropriate?

ChiefK
Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Good practise,Chiefy, is when you take someone else out with you to call the pattern, then sit down after the flight an go through with you tearing your flight, self confidence and ego apart bit by bit. Needless to say, this pillar of wisdom needs to be someone you know, trust and has flown/judged pattern before. Then you go back out and fly each segment over and over until he is satisfied, then start stringing them back together. This burns lots of fuel, is really difficult to do as you unlearn old bad habits, and totally exhausting, mentally. After a month or so you will not recognise your flying, even your landings happen when and where you want them, regardless of the weather conditions. The trick is finding that other person...
Evan, WB #12.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks, Evan. Back in the day at Rocky Hill CT, it was me, Jeff Urcan, Art Fressola, Lance Murphy, Bill Commerford, and a few others that used to look at each other's flights. Oh yes, Mark O'Connel was there, too, along with Scott (forgot his last name) who is now the AMA District 1 patttern co-ordinator.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Texan

Hi Ed,

I think there is enough in common among the various factions of pattern flyers to share relevant information in this forum. If someone has specific questions regarding SPA and our forum members have enough experience to answers those questions, why would we need to get the forum moderator involved? It's all relevant to ''classic'' pattern flying isn't it? It's not about advocating one faction over the other... it is about having fun flying ''classic'' pattern models and sharing our knowledge and experiences in this small niche of the hobby.

TX

Because this is not the official SPA forum. It is a classic pattern forum on RCU. To expect folks not to speak critically of the SPA on a non SPA forum is ridiculous, IMHO.

I happen to like the SPA and I tend to go along with the "leave it as it is" group, but I just wanted it made clear that someone (SPA supporters) wishes that no one would talk about the SPA here, unless it followed the party line, was expecting too much. If one does not wish to read such postings - don't! But let the rest of the folks have the freedom to express their opinions in their own way.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 PM
NM2K

Ed,

Official or not, isn't this forum title ''Tips for the SPA newbie''? What did I say that is inappropriate?

ChiefK

No, this thread is entitled "Tips for the SPA newbie". The forum is the classic pattern forum. A single thread is not what I am talking about.

The folks complaining about/with the SPA were not talking in terms of this thread either.

I'm not yelling at anyone. I want everyone to be able to express their point of view as long as it is within the posting regs of RCU. Now, I'm going back to sleep. Night all.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Hadn't checked in here for awhile sothought I would, but ouch..............................
hook
Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM
NM2K

Don't run off. It's just a temporary ripple in the force.

Ed Cregger