Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build

Hi All,

I've been lurking around RCU for quite awhile now and thought that it's about time I came out of the shadows and participate a bit!

I'd been looking for a new project for a few months when I came across [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4017336/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]rainedave's great UFO build[/link]. I've always wanted a UFO, I even had a glass & foam kit back in the early 80's. Ended up selling the kit instead of building it, BIG MISTAKE! I've always regretted that decision. Rainedave's thread renewed my interest in the UFO. If my build comes even remotely closed to the quality of rainedave's UFO I'll be a Happy Camper!

So I ordered a set of plans from [link=http://www.rcmplans.com/]RCM Plans[/link] which I received last week. In the interest of saving time(I'm a really slow builder) I'm going to go with a foam wing and stab. I ordered the cores last night from Don at [link=http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/]Eureka Aircraft[/link]. This was the first time I've dealt with Eureka and I was impressed with the service I received from Don. I had emailed him late Sunday night about pricing and wasn't expecting a reply until least Monday. About an hour later I received his reply and I ordered the cores. Today I received an email, with a tracking number, stating that the cores were shipped! Hopefully the foam cores will be as high quality as Don's service! Has anyone else had any experience with Eureka cores?

While I wait for the cores to arrive I'll clear the bench and setup a new building board. I'm looking forward to this project. It's been several years since I actually built a "real" model, other than ARF's! Yes, I admit it, I have "assembled" an ARF or two, or three! What can I say, I'm weak!

Feel free to heckle, cajole, harass, boo, applaud and just comment in general as this build progresses!

Ralph
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46586.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1434154  
Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build

excellent! what engine are you planning on using?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ralph,

welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your build.

David.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Don custom cut a set of cores for me a while and they're of excellent quality. You shouldn't have any issues with your UFO cores.

FB
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: dhal22

excellent! what engine are you planning on using?
David,

I've been thinking a lot about the engine but I haven't decided on one yet. I'd like to go with a current production engine. I'd prefer an OS but the FX .61 seems to be a bit porky at almost 20 oz. Plus I'm not crazy about the rear mounted needle valve. The Webra Speed .61 is a possibility as is the HP .61 Gold Cup. These engines are 3-5 oz lighter than the OS. I'm open to suggestions/recommendations!

RG
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Ralph,

welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your build.

David.
Thanks David! I hope I don't disappoint!

RG
Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

I had Don custom cut a set of cores for me a while and they're of excellent quality. You shouldn't have any issues with your UFO cores.

FB
Thanks Free Bird, that's good to hear! The tracking info says my cores should be delivered tomorrow.

RG
Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good going Ralph. We'll ride along.

Crank
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 AM
crankpin

My opinion only. If it fit's, find an OS 61 SF. Ringed or ABC, I prefer the ringed. It will haul the mail.

Crank

Name:	Ki18698.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1434776  
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

or try an OS 75AX
Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

looking forward to the build....

if your into classic pattern you might want to check out www.classicpatternassociation.com

scott
Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
R_G

Hey Crank, how attached are you to that NIB OS .61 SF?

Flywilly, I'm thinking the .75AX might be a tad too much motor! Nice looking engine though!

Thanks for the link Scott. I'll have to peruse that site.

RG
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 PM
dhal22

there's at least 2 for sale right now in the marketplace here. the nib is well priced too.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
R_G

The foam cores arrived today! Overall they look pretty good. UPS managed to squash the box a little on one end which resulted in the leading edge of one of the wing tips to be compressed a bit. I don't think this will be an issue, worst case I might have to fill a small cavity after the sheeting and leading edge are applied.

I checked the cores against the plans and the airfoil shape for the wing and the stab are right on, both at the root and tip. The plan form of the stab is right on, the wing however is off a little. The sweep cut into the cores will put the wing tip about 1/2" further back than the plans show. You can see the difference in one of the attached photos. I don't think this will be a problem. Any thoughts?

Looks like this build will officially begin this weekend!

RG

Name:	Bz79355.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1435227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73694.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1435228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99717.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1435229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78710.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1435230  
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: dhal22

there's at least 2 for sale right now in the marketplace here. the nib is well priced too.
Thanks David! I submitted a bid! It's not current production but I couldn't pass it up! Those are great engines!

RG
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
jim52519

RG,
I built a Dirty Birdy from RCM plans 2 years ago. I do not know if there is a size difference between the UFO and Dirty Birdy. I powered my D.B with an OS55AX. I could not be happier with the airplane/engine combination. The AX55 has more power than the .60's used in the 70's. The vertical performance is excelent, but not unlimited. The UFO may be larger but if it is the same as the D.B. the .55AX is not a bad choice.
Jim

Name:	Pn35326.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	1435242  
Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 AM
dhal22

ORIGINAL: jim52519

RG,
I built a Dirty Birdy from RCM plans 2 years ago. I do not know if there is a size difference between the UFO and Dirty Birdy. I powered my D.B with an OS55AX. I could not be happier with the airplane/engine combination. The AX55 has more power than the .60's used in the 70's. The vertical performance is excelent, but not unlimited. The UFO may be larger but if it is the same as the D.B. the .55AX is not a bad choice.
Jim

more power than what 60's? are you including a ys .60? or a rossi, an ops?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David,

I think Jim might be referring to engines like the ST G60 and similar - true 70's engines. I tend to think of Rossi's, OPS's and YS's as 80's engines even though companies like Rossi have been around a long time - especially in the speed event.

A DB or UFO built to 7 lbs or under should perform quite nicely on a 55AX.

Jim,

There's is not too much difference in size between the DB and UFO. The latter has a swept wing and stab and a larger fin & rudder. The actual fuse is ever so slightly different but hard to detect at first glance. The wing construction changed slightly to a more modern building approach. I'm not sure if the airfoil of the wing also changed but I believe the chord aspect ratio changed slightly. The stab has a reduced airfoil so it is thinner and more in line with the Japanese designs of the time.

David.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
crankpin

RG - I think that one he is talking about, went yesterday, at a give away price, and it was complete, altho it was the ABC version. The ringed version's are bringing a little more dough. Price's are a little depressed riignt now, looks like some guys are holding on to them. Keep watching the auction site : the bay.

Crank

Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: crankpin

RG - I think that one he is talking about, went yesterday, at a give away price, and it was complete, altho it was the ABC version. The ringed version's are bringing a little more dough. Price's are a little depressed riignt now, looks like some guys are holding on to them. Keep watching the auction site : the bay.

Crank
Something about that carpet looks familiar... [8D]

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/13719/Ki18698.jpg[/img]
Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
crankpin

Hey Jeff - Sure does. That SF is movie star category. Carpet looks great, we used to call that Berber carpet. It is put away with the other's in a special place. If my house caught afire, or another hurricane came our way, there is a sign on the room they are in that sez: GRAB ME FIRST ! Thanks for selling it to me.

Vince (Crank)
Hobe Sound, FL
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: jim52519

RG,
Jim
Thanks for your input Jim! When I ordered the UFO plans I also got a set for the Dirty Birdy. The UFO is about 4" longer and 1" more wingspan(14 sq-in more). The ready to fly weight listed for each shows the UFO being 16oz heavier. I image the extra pound would make a difference. I suppose careful wood selection and hollowing could bring the weight down to the DB level. What does your DB weigh?

I love the paint scheme on your Dirty Birdy! Classic, simple and attractive! My favorite colors too!

RG
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 PM
R_G

ORIGINAL: crankpin

Crank

Crank,

If we are talking about the same engine I would be the one that purchased that engine!
I put the check in the mail today!

RG
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
R_G

I'm sure some of you have lost some sleep wondering what kind of builder this RG guy is! So I thought I'd post a couple of photos of the last airplane that I scratch built about 12 years ago. It's not RC but it's the same type of construction, foam wing, wood everything else. It's not perfect, but it's light, straight and flies well. If this UFO project turns out that way I think I'll be happy!

RG

Name:	Ro41721.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1435700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10689.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1435701  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

RG

That is an outstanding U control model. I only flew Cox u control planes and 2 Lil' Satans, but I've always admired planes built like yours. I loooove the UFO and Dirty Birdy and I am just waiting to watch your work unfold. If I can get my other projects finished I will begin my UFO scratch build. Keep up the good work.

Gene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.