Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Scoop! Too early to release information.

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Scoop! Too early to release information.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 AM
gkaraolides

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scoop! Too early to release information.

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

Is it just me or does the horizontal stab on the ''original'' look a lot bigger than on the reproduction? The distance from the leading edge of the stab to the leading edge of the fin is very different.
The leading edge of the stab on the original is indeed closer to the leading edge of the fin, but that's because the stab root is set higher on the fuselage on the original, not because the stab is bigger.

You can see this in that side view pic. Extend the line of the fuse top deck past the stab on both models, and compare.

Also check out that three quarters rear view pic. You can see that the original has more anhedral on the stab and the stab root is set higher.

The actual size of the stab seems to me to be about the same.

I guess that keeps the centre of the side area of the stab at about the same height on original and reproduction Curare, which makes sense if they wanted to reduce stab anhedral without affecting other qualities.

They seem to have kept the wing dihedral the same, so all they have done is reduce the effect of the stab anhedral without affecting much else.

The effect of the stab anhedral is to provide a roll-in moment with top rudder in knife edge, to counter the roll-out moment from the wing anhedral, without transmitter mixers which didn't exist when the original was designed. So if the reproduction requires less roll-in from the stab in knife edge, all else being kept pretty much equal, this means the reproduction has a higher centre of gravity than the original. This might be because the original was designed and set up with a tuned pipe weighing about 200 grammes hung under the fuselage, while the reproduction is designed for electric power or i/c power without a tuned pipe.

Best regards,

G.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bo,
Wife's home now, she can guide me through the German.
Chris...
Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: gkaraolides
...They seem to have kept the wing dihedral the same, so all they have done is reduce the effect of the stab anhedral without affecting much else.

The effect of the stab anhedral is to provide a roll-in moment with top rudder in knife edge, to counter the roll-out moment from the wing anhedral, without transmitter mixers which didn't exist when the original was designed. So if the reproduction requires less roll-in from the stab in knife edge, all else being kept pretty much equal, this means the reproduction has a higher centre of gravity than the original. This might be because the original was designed and set up with a tuned pipe weighing about 200 grammes hung under the fuselage, while the reproduction is designed for electric power or i/c power without a tuned pipe.
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a few tweaks made.

I used to fly mine with a .75 turning an 11x9 or 11x10 prop and it flew great. Fit a 12x6 and it'd grunt around a knife edge loop, but apart from pulling huge verticals it was pretty much a dog to fly so I'd expect the type of props the electric crowd like to run might require some airframe tweaking. Have just fitted a Scorpion HK-4035-400 running 10S on an 11x10 prop and happy with the initial performance (only 1 flight) but very unhappy with the vibration from the motor. I sent it back to them and have just received it back so I'll put it back in tonight and see if the vibes are still there.

Mine's 20yo now, full of oil and I'd love to build another as they're a beautiful plane to fly.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wanted to a Curare to have a unique plane at the field. Sure looks lighther than the 1/4" sides and blocks in the original plans.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25393.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1814031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42167.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1814032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34538.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1814033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86443.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1814034  
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
countilaw

Look at all those Curare's that all look just alike.

Frank
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Look at all those Curare's that all look just alike. [img][/img]

Frank
Agreed.... [&o]

Brian
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
hrdflite

i want a set of wings of the bottom of the stack ,should be nice and straight.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: hrdflite

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM
alcarafa

ORIGINAL: hrdflite

Thats not the best way to stock'em.... that is for sure
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM
countilaw

Does this company have a license to build and distribute the Curare? If not, I don't think I would be buying one. If you can't download music from the internet without paying the royalty, why should this company sell Curare's without paying the royalty?

Any comments?

Frank
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Frank,

Hanno and the developers are intimately involved. They live close to each other in Austria (if not in the same town). I believe Hanno shopped often at the developers store - hence the project.

This ARF is fully blessed by him. Check out the Facebook () pages - a lot of the project background is (or at least, was) there.

I wonder if this ARF is successful if they'll follow suit with a Magic or better yet, a Mystic or Sensation!

I'd buy a Hanno approved Mystic 60 ARF... I have the perfect engine and pipe for it, the Hanno RF-P, waiting downstairs for it's wings!

David
Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM
ShinySteelRobot

If sales take off, I'd love to see someone on this side of the Atlantic remake the Tiporare or Illusion pattern plane as an ARF.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Does this company have a license to build and distribute the Curare? If not, I don't think I would be buying one. If you can't download music from the internet without paying the royalty, why should this company sell Curare's without paying the royalty?

Any comments?

Frank
After looking at a photo on page 6 of this thread of some old dude named Hanno with his original Curare holding the reproduction with a grin on his face, I probably would have left that question unasked and the assumptions unmade.

However if sombody is worried that the designers from other countries that ripped off the Curare (or at least some of it's features) and sold it under different but similiar sounding names back in the 70's aren't getting their "cut" then by all means, ask the questions
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: ShinySteelRobot

If sales take off, I'd love to see someone on this side of the Atlantic remake the Tiporare or Illusion pattern plane as an ARF.
I don't think that's going to happen. Personally, I don't think it makes any sense to produce wood fuse Tipo's as ARF's. The whole concept of the Tipo was to finesse and simplify some of the construction of the original Curare (among other things). The wood fuse Tipo is simpler to build yet hard to reproduce time and time again in wood reason for which the glass versions were made. The tuck lines in particular along with how the "canopy" portion of the Tipo is constructed are tricky to deal with as ARF's. Omitting these details tends to loose the character of the Tipo and Illusion.

Also, covering a Tipo or Illusion wood fuse is a bad proposition. I discovered this from doing it on a little one.

Having said that, glass Tipo's and Illusions exist as ARF's..., they just need a little paint before flying...

David
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM
countilaw

Hey , I was just asking the question. If Hanno is involved, then it's great. I just get concerned that so many people have put so much into this hobby, and then someone comes along and rips off thier ideas or takes advantage of the original designer's hard work.

I didn't mean to appear petulent.

Frank
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM
doxilia

Frank,

I see where you're coming from. For these Austrian developers to go ahead with a Curare ARF and not involve Hanno would have been adding insult to injury. One thing's for sure, there have been and continue to be so many iterations and kits of the Curare in different forms that I've lost count. I wouldn't be surprised if Hanno also had.

Stopping "kitters" of the Curare is like trying to stop the DVD movie replication business - it's everywhere. The good news is that we don't want it stopped...

David
Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM
hrdflite

QUALITY LINE KITS CURARE , IS ALICENCED PRODUCT.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

Got tired of waiting so I scratched one out !!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62680.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1814862  
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 PM
countilaw

[quote]ORIGINAL: hrdflite

QUALITY LINE KITS CURARE , IS ALICENCED PRODUCT.

[/quote

Hrdflite, I can't wait to get my hands on another Majic from Quality Line Kits. I was able to get an original Header from Singapore with the help of another member here on RCU. Picked up a pipe for $15 from a LHS and retracts from Ebay. Now I'm just saving money for the plane. The first Majic I got from QLK was fantastic, take that back, it was Majic.

Frank

Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Rendegade

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Frank,

I see where you're coming from. For these Austrian developers to go ahead with a Curare ARF and not involve Hanno would have been adding insult to injury. One thing's for sure, there have been and continue to be so many iterations and kits of the Curare in different forms that I've lost count. I wouldn't be surprised if Hanno also had.

Stopping ''kitters'' of the Curare is like trying to stop the DVD movie replication business - it's everywhere. The good news is that we don't want it stopped...

David

What a wonderful problem to have. I wonder if he's astounded that 36 years later the curare would still have a cult following? Never in his wildest dreams I'll bet.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Jon Wold

Hi, I have test flown the Curare ARF in Austria a few weeks ago. I can confirm it is not only endorsed by Hanno, he is the mastermind behind the project. Both Hanno and Schweighofer have tested the pre-production models extensively, with glow and electric power, and the delay (should have hit the shops a year ago) is in part due to the testing and subsequent change orders. The ARF model is based on the MK Curare 60 drawings.
Hanno has spent a lot of time with setting up his electric version, and plans to publish his own settings for all control surfaces including the flap/elevator mixes, dual rates, expos, CG and so on, so everyone can start with a perfect setup. One thing that was only recently discovered was that there is a difference in knife edge mix between electric and glow setups. Due to the battery position above the centerline, a slight increase in dihedral is recommended for electric setup.

The ARF has a very nice battery tray/hatch functionality, and also accepts glow engines with or without pipe with no modifications. It has a fully sheeted wing and stab, and it's beautifully built and covered. It is reported to weigh half a kilo less than the original.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Which one is the original prototype? The photo indicates the bluetrimed oneis, but your e-mail said it yellowed, but the green trimed one appears yellowed.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Which one is the original prototype? The photo indicates the blue trimed one is, but your e-mail said it yellowed, but the green trimed one appears yellowed.
The photos show what appears to be a ~30 year old model perhaps owned by Hanno. The paint yellowing and apparently larger stab on this model was discussed and is what was being referred to as the "original prototype". I probably should have referred to it as an "original model" instead. When you say my "e-mail" you probably mean my post.

I don't think the blue trim covered ARF would be an "original prototype" of the ARF at this stage of development. It could very well be the electric model that Hanno has been setting up and that Jon refers to in his post above.

David

Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Jon Wold

In the old/new comparison photo, the orange/green is one of the TOC Curares. The Circus Circus stickers are obvious enough, but you can also see a dark spot on the inner part of the wing where speed brakes protrude out from both top and bottom. He had lots of different version, one was for Springfield WC, one for South Africa, and the TOC versions. Differences were airfoils, brakes and spoilers. The blue/orange is Hannos electric ARF.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

dphill2...

I hope your going to buff up that spinner..

Plane looks good !

Scott cpa#2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.