Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Phantom 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:08 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phantom 1

I am very curious. I like the looks of this airplane very much. As I was researching it here on RCU, there is a lot of short references but not a whole lot on building, flying, or performance. I have read that Bruce Underwood flies one, but it pretty much ends there.

Was it competitive? How would it stack up to the ultra popular pattern ships such as the Kaos, UFO, Curare, Blue Angel, etc. ?

Brian
Old 05-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Phantom 1

I have built four of these planes. Most were modified by adding several inches aft of the trailing edge to help with the c/g due to he weight of the OS 91. I love the way they fly. Be prepared to do a lot of carving and balsa chip vacuuming. The plane is very simple to build and I made all of mine tail draggers. Bruce Underwood is a superb flier and could win with most any pattern plane. Try to keep it light with good balsa. Hope this helps. PS Eureka sells short kits. I built mine with foam wings and stabs. Skip
Old 05-22-2010, 05:53 AM
EscapeFlyer

I love the way they fly
Do you notice the airplane wanting to pitch towards the bottom in knife-edge flight? If so, would you recommend anhedral on the horizontal?

Brian
Old 05-22-2010, 07:08 AM
neilmac52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Phantom are you talking about ? Do you have any photos please or 3 view ? [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 AM
RFJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume this one from November 1973 RCM.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22056.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1440091  
Old 05-22-2010, 11:43 AM
RCPAUL

Is my memory bad or is that the Phantom 1?

Paul
Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 AM
EscapeFlyer

Yes, I am talking about the Phantom 1 from the November 1973 RCM.

I do not have any photos. I am very interrested in this ship. I am just starting a bit of research on it. I have never seen one other than the picture that has already been posted. So I thought I would try to find out what kind of "quarks" it may have.

FYI- I like the looks of the anhedral horizontal. I also know there is a reason for this, so it is functional.

If anyone has any pictures they would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Brian
Old 05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Skip

The plane has a normal stab with no anhedral. It's not the most aesthetically pretty plane ( understatement) but it sure flies well. No pitching on knife edge that I can recall.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: Skip

The plane has a normal stab with no anhedral. It's not the most aesthetically pretty plane ( understatement) but it sure flies well. No pitching on knife edge that I can recall.

It isn't very pretty, but I sure feel drawn to it. I don't know why either!

I'm glad to hear there are no pitching or coupling issues.

Now I need to decide to build one. I was wanting to build my Miss Norway again, but I found that the SPA decided to pull it off of their accepted aircraft list. It used to be there.

I would like to think that If there would ever be any contest interest near this area, like there is in Chicago in a few weeks, that I could put the effort into building one of these to good use and actually compete with it at some point.

Brian
Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Skip

There are several SPA members that compete with the Phantom. They have spent some extra time in their paint/ covering schemes and the planes are really nice looking. I believe that that ugly , large frontal outline and the mid wing make it a great airplane. If you build it pretty straight and not too heavy you will love the way it flies.