Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Which SPA type airplane in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 04:26 PM
sps3172

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which SPA type airplane in 2021?

I'm just getting back to RC airplanes after a lengthy hiatus. I've flown off and on since 1983 and have tried just about every discipline (sport, scale, soaring, pylon, 3D) but never organized pattern. I'd like to experience pattern this time around and have done some preliminary research. First of all, I really like to build so no arf or used airplane for me. Also, I'm not willing (cha ching) to jump right to a full 2M airplane and it's also been suggested that I wouldn't need that for the more entry level classes anyway.

What seems to make the most sense is to start with a SPA type airplane. I could work on entry level AMA pattern stuff with that and if time permits, travel to some SPA events as well. For whatever reason, the 'Daddy Rabbit' seems like a popular airplane for SPA contests. It also seems like guys are going with a 90 4cycle instead of a 60 2stroke (I like 4cyc engines). I've seen pictures of these airplanes built with fixed, conventional gear (not a fan of trikes or retracts). At this point, that's what I'm after....the 'proper' version of the Daddy Rabbit, powered by a 90 4cyc, with fixed conventional gear (tail dragger). I'm hoping someone in the know can answer the following series of questions:

-Which version of the Daddy Rabbit do I want? I read that the version that was kitted by Zimpro was the one to have but it's no longer available. Is the Version 1.5 from Eureka the same airplane? I like cutting my own parts....can I get plans for the newer version somewhere?

-Which 90 sized 4 stroke is preferred for this application? I see the rules allow up to a .95 sized engine and I presume this is to allow the newer OS 95V. However, I read that this newer engine is now made in China instead of Japan and something about that doesn't excite me.

-Is there an even better choice in airplanes that still meets my goals of SPA legal with fixed conventional gear and gets along well with a 4 stroke?

Thanks for the consideration....

-Steve

Last edited by sps3172; 05-15-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:48 PM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://seniorpattern.com/DR.html
The following users liked this post:
sps3172 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 03:37 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe start with an ARF to get you going?
Old 05-19-2021, 12:34 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Outerzone has plans for the Daddy Rabbit, and many, many more!
Old 05-21-2021, 03:28 PM
sps3172

Thanks guys....I'm all sorted. 1st reply sent me to the SPA website where I found plans for the DR. I subsequently joined SPA and made contact with the webmaster Jim Johns. He's been super helpful/informative and after much discussion with him, I elected to go with a Killer Chaos/OS 65AX combo.
The following users liked this post:
dhal22 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 02:20 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sps3172
Thanks guys....I'm all sorted. 1st reply sent me to the SPA website where I found plans for the DR. I subsequently joined SPA and made contact with the webmaster Jim Johns. He's been super helpful/informative and after much discussion with him, I elected to go with a Killer Chaos/OS 65AX combo.

Is it done yet?
Old 05-25-2021, 06:47 PM
sps3172

Originally Posted by dhal22
Is it done yet?
Actually the short kit was just shipped out yesterday. I am scrambling to restore the building area in my basement after having been away from the hobby for some years.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW, we're flying the same maneuvers as the late 70's with basically the same rulebook, so the planes that competed well then are still well-suited now. Kaos, Dirty Birdy, Intruder, Curare, Tiporare, Atlas, Tiger Tail, and most others that the top pilots won a lot with are still as good as they ever were.