Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Performance Specialties/YS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Specialties/YS

Does anyone have info on the Performance Specialties AAC Cylinder/Pistonassywith conrod and Bearings Kit for the YS ?

Can this be used in the 61AR and 61F.R Long Stroke? Is it timed higher than the original? was it designed for runninglarger props? Did anyone run this kit in their motor?

What can I expect?

<o></o>

Old 06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Performance Specialties/YS

I suggest you call Richard at YS Parts & Service. He should have the best answers for you.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

I've seen a kit similar to that listed on "the bay" a while back...Looks nice!!

If he hasn't retired by now you could call Dave Shadel at [link=http://www.pspec.com/]Performance Specialties[/link], it's his stuff.

I'm about 99.999999999% sure it's going to be the same design piston & liner that we all got with our orders within the last few years. I'm also sure Henry Nelson made the piston, liner and conrod for those kits too.

If you get the scoop please pass it along!! When you tear stuff apart if you can do some comparison that would be really kewl... [8D]

Unless you have a damaged AR I wouldn't think you would necessarily wanna run that kit in an AR...The AR has a really nice AAC piston/liner set-up from the factory. The porting actually looks very similar to Dave Shadel's YS liners. I haven't really sat down and done a head to head comparison but they are both radically different from the stock .61 LS...

Please keep us posted with your findings!!

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
pitstop000

I took both your advices and sent a couple of e-mails.

<o></o>

Chuck, at the time that the group buy was being put together I had no YS 61’s only 60 roundheads.

I just recently was able to buy a NIB 61AR, header and Hatori pipe combo from one of the members here for my Summit III, that's been waiting for the right motor for a couple of years now.
At the same time this Performance Specialties kit came to my attention.

I was just hoping that I could use the internals for a rebuild down the road.

For the little over a hundred dollars for the kit, it would let me run gallons of fuel thru the motor without worrying about it.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i was one of the group that bought into the piston/liner deal. i know i bought a hanno combo, what engine was the other set i bought for? a ys 61?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:12 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

YS 61AR and the 'ABC' version of the Hanno special (MKI or MKII)

I believe you could put the AR version in the earlier Longstroke, but I'd check the porting in the case to make sure, of course a little work with a Dremel tool would work, too

FYI - the stock YS piston/sleeve is listed as AAC, however the 'C' is not chrome, but does last longer than the Nickasil used by OS. If you have a new OS/YS and a new replacement piston/sleeve from Performance Specialties or me (both built by Henry Nelson) then I'd replace the stock with the Nelson parts and save the originals for a rebuild later (maybe never) or to rebuild another engine. The stock OS liner typically lasts 300-500 flights (sometimes longer if the engine isn't run too hard) before performance degrades due to 'peeling'.

-Flywilly
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: flywilly

YS 61AR and the 'ABC' version of the Hanno special (MKI or MKII)

I believe you could put the AR version in the earlier Longstroke, but I'd check the porting in the case to make sure, of course a little work with a Dremel tool would work, too

FYI - the stock YS piston/sleeve is listed as AAC, however the 'C' is not chrome, but does last longer than the Nickasil used by OS. If you have a new OS/YS and a new replacement piston/sleeve from Performance Specialties or me (both built by Henry Nelson) then I'd replace the stock with the Nelson parts and save the originals for a rebuild later (maybe never) or to rebuild another engine. The stock OS liner typically lasts 300-500 flights (sometimes longer if the engine isn't run too hard) before performance degrades due to 'peeling'.

-Flywilly
thx, i thought is was the AR engine i bought the set for.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Congrats Paul on the NIB AR purchase!! And the Summit III!! What a really nice combo that will be!! I know you'll love the engine, they are fantastic... [8D]

I like Will's suggestion of swapping to the Shadel kit now and keeping the original as a spare, that may be the way to go. I'm re-thinking my position for my engines too.

Unlike my OS Hanno liners, I trust the factory AR liners...but in both instances I trust the Shadel liners more...

Here is a link to a post I made about the liner swap in the AR engine:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9054234/tm.htm]Note: Shadel/Nelson YS Piston & Liner Installation..[/link]

Not sure if you will run into that situation but wanted to give you the heads-up just in case...

My Opinion:
You mentioned your kit comes with bearings...good. I was going to recommend swapping the bearings out from the start because the YS factory bearings are...ummm...junk in my opinion. I've decided I'm not going to run any of my engines (OS or YS) with the factory bearings anymore. They are all getting swapped out for stainless/ceramics prior to use. I have already changed several engines but still have a more to go. The majority of my acquired engines have been used so changing bearings was sorta expected. However after running a NIB AR once, finding "mud" (rusty oil) in it the next day, I made the decision to change the bearings before running. I also had that same thing occur on a YS-60 short stroke and a standard .61 LS. This occurred while using Powermaster YS 20/20 fuel which is suppose to be good stuff. YS 20/20 is no longer available so I'm changing to Cool Power MVS. I haven't run many engines with that fuel so we'll see how that goes. It doesn't really matter because I'm now hooked on the stainless/ceramic bearings. They are soooo smooth and with such good tolerances. I have zero running time with any of the ceramic bearings engines thus far but expect them to be good. I'm almost ready to get an LA-2 in the air which has my old Pink Head Hanno in it which will be my first engine with the bearing mod put into service. Hopefully it will be good...

Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

I took both your advices and sent a couple of e-mails.

<o> </o>

Chuck, at the time that the group buy was being put together I had no YS 61’s only 60 roundheads.

I just recently was able to buy a NIB 61AR, header and Hatori pipe combo from one of the members here for my Summit III, that's been waiting for the right motor for a couple of years now.
At the same time this Performance Specialties kit came to my attention.

I was just hoping that I could use the internals for a rebuild down the road.

For the little over a hundred dollars for the kit, it would let me run gallons of fuel thru the motor without worrying about it.

Paul,

I know Richard at YS rarely checks his email. The best way is to give him a call between 9 and 5 pacific.

Arch
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM
pitstop000

Arch, Thanks for the heads up.

<o></o>

Motor arrived, Now waiting on the Performance Specialties Kit, decided just to get it and make it work for a rebuild.

<o></o>

Looks like The AR case was clearanced for a mount, The raised letters “made in Japan” were removed from the case.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57199.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1462420