Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Modeltech Matt Saphir

Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 AM
CaptainBlueSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Modeltech Matt Saphir

Bo,

copyright rules, as far as I know, are: 25 years for articles, including plans when published in magazines.
It goes up to 70 years for plans published by designers or included within kits. This would also include the full size plans sold apart by some magazines like MAN, etc....
This is valid for UK, I think, and also for all countries that have agreed to apply these rules.

Greetings,
Al

ORIGINAL: bem

David,

I have the orginal constructionarticle (in german language)published in FMT (Flugmodellund Technik) May, nr 5, 1988.
If it is allowed I can post it here as PDF (not sure about the copyright).
I have also Saphir I and II drawings in PDF (and TIF) but I also hesitate to post that here. It is shown both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine mounting on the drawings.
Wolfgang Matt used at F3A WC 1987 in France his Saphir I withWebra 61 LS (long stroke) rear exhaust. He used Saphir I also in WC 1989 in USA(not sure what engine he used that year, maybe he had moved over to YS, 2- or 4-stroke).Saphir II that he used in WC 1991 in Australiahe used YS F-120 AC.

Image below from construction article showing the Webra 61 LS removed from Matt's Saphir I.

/Bo

Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM
R_G
My Feedback: (1)

From the [link=http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html#duration]U.S Copyright Web site[/link]:

"How long does a copyright last?

The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics."
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well,

I guess that pretty much dictates that all works created and/or published in the last century are right protected.

The question is, what constitutes a breach of copyright? If a plan is posted on RCU (like many are) does that breach copyright if no alterations to the original are done and the plan is not being sold without royalties being paid? Further, if one takes one design (or plan) as a basis for another modified design, does that breach copyright? If so, how is it that many of the classics came to life without breaching copyright given they are inspired or derived from their predecessors? Or is each "new" design paying royalties to its previous designer every time a kit or plan is sold? Or is the kitter paying royalties to all the predecessors or jumping the previous designer and going back to inception?

Take a classic example: Did the Tiporare design pay royalties or an agreed upon figure to HP since it was inspired by the Curare? Did DB pay DH for modding the Tipo and name the Illusion his design? Somehow, I doubt any of this transpired. When the Tipo was being designed, HP had already moved on and was working on the Magic which broke the mold in many respects - perhaps his most complex model ever from a mechanics standpoint. The he broke/reversed it again with the Calypso which I suspect was inspired by the Dalotel he flew a few years prior at the TOC.

Granted, a few convoluted questions but I think the issue of copyright boils down to whether the endeavor is lucrative and commercial as opposed to the likes of what we tend to do here: "hey, check this plan out, what do you think? Yea, I like it, I'll scratch one!"

David
Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Roguedog

Bo,

Your intent for sharing is based on educational purposes to inform, not to make a profit, so go aheadand post it.

Bryan
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

If anyone want the Saphir drawings etc in PDFjust PMme. It feels best that way, at least for plans that is commercially available from plans services.
Saphir plans are still sold byNeckar Verlag in Germany so that is why I do not want to post the plans here.
http://neckar-verlag.de/index.php?id=bauplaene&tx_edshop_pi1[obj]=prod&tx_edshop_pi1[cmd]=detail&tx_edshop_pi1[uid]=225
(copy and paste whole URL if you want to follow it)

/Bo
Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

Bo,

You intent for sharing it is based on educational purposes to inform, not to make a profit, go ahead and post it.

Bryan
Not directed at you specifically Brian but your post raised a thought.

I'd just like to comment that Bo has been extremely kind in sharing all kinds of documentation with his fellow forum mates. I would also like to comment that making a profit on any of these classic pattern endeavors is a pretty slim chance. Money's that may appear like profit readily disappear when one considers the efforts, time and expenses involved in the projects themselves.

David.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Roguedog

David,

No worries. After reading my post I noticed it was badly worded. My point is Iget a littleriled when someone starts posting crap about copyrights, patents, etc. Mainly because it detracts from the purpose of the thread, which is to inform about a certain topic. It generally ruins the thread and then a good thread gets deleted because of someones so called rights. Not that the copyright information isn't informing, but the RCUPTB might get involved, and before you know it, everones posting what happened to such and such thread?

Bo,

I would definily like to read and understand the article as I don't read or speak german. I think it would be a great addition to the Classic Pattern forum.

Bryan

Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
doxilia

Bryan,

Good points. I know what thread you are referring to as well. That was a bit bold but then again, we entrust our thoughts and knowledge sharing here and it appears we have little say in the matter. Of course, if management gets too bold, well, birds flock elsewhere. All in all though, I'd say RCU has been very good to our forum community.

David.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
doxilia

I probably already asked this before but I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the Model Tech Saphir I documentation?

I dropped Jeff a line to see if he might have kept a copy (as he sold his kit) but in case he doesn't, thought I'd post here.

I'd like to put mine together this winter and could use some info on engine location on the FW, distance of the cowl from the FW and such. If anyone has this info, it would be very much appreciated.

In the absence of that, I'll use Bo's excellent Saphir documentation.

TIA, David.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David, I'm still in contact with the buyer. I'll check with him to see what I sent with with the plane.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,

If anyone want the Saphir drawings etc in PDFjust PMme. It feels best that way, at least for plans that is commercially available from plans services.
Saphir plans are still sold byNeckar Verlag in Germany so that is why I do not want to post the plans here.
http://neckar-verlag.de/index.php?id...&tx_edshop_pi1[obj]=prod&tx_edshop_pi1[cmd]=detail&tx_edshop_pi1[uid]=225
(copy and paste whole URL if you want to follow it)

/Bo
Hi Bo,

I know this is an old thread, but would you be able to send me the PDF's for the Saphir 60 and Saphir 120 - 4T?

Cheers
Scott