RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   EU-1 vs. EU-1A Differences Help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/10068870-eu-1-vs-eu-1a-differences-help.html)

Gene Margiotti 10-14-2010 04:28 PM

EU-1 vs. EU-1A Differences Help

All right historical gurus - a few questions to help clarify things, please.

1. What are the differences between the EU-1 and the EU-1A?

2. Why does the EU-1 plan that I have show two wing roots: one is 15% and the other is 17%?

3. What are the above percentages referencing, ie. 17% of what?

4. What do you guys think of using an old Webra 90 in this plane?

Thanks for any and all comments - I am sooooo excited because Don has finished my fuse and will be sending it my way soon!!!!

The EU-1A was a dream of mine from the first time I saw its' picture on the cover of a magazine.

Gene

stuntflyr 10-14-2010 07:48 PM

RE: EU-1 vs. EU-1A Differences Help

Generally the % of root was the wing's root thickness to root chord measurement. Possibly there were two wing thicknesses envisioned by the designer.
Chris...

TonyF 10-14-2010 09:51 PM

There are lots of differences. The EU-1 was mostly foam and was larger then the EU-1A. I do seem to remember two different wing sections depending on how much power you think you could get out of a .60. I don't believe anything would interchange between an EU-1 and an EU-1A.

CRAPTECH 10-15-2010 08:02 AM

I am very interested in building a EU1-A, It looks like a good flying plane, for someone like me that just wants to play at pattern, and have nice looking plane this might be the one. I see several people are making fuselage but do not post the wing span and area, does anyone know what it is. The other thing I like about the EU!-A is the up right engine, make a great weekend flyer, but I would like to use a modern engine. Like a OS120AX with a rap around header. Think that would work? Back in the 80’s we had a Eu1 or EU1-A fuse, a friend made the stabs angle down and we cut a big set of wings put a ST2500 in it and he painted it like the F-4, he flew. Real fun plane. T Green

rcguy! 10-15-2010 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: CRAPTECH

I am very interested in building a EU1-A, It looks like a good flying plane, for someone like me that just wants to play at pattern, and have nice looking plane this might be the one. I see several people are making fuselage but do not post the wing span and area, does anyone know what it is. The other thing I like about the EU!-A is the up right engine, make a great weekend flyer, but I would like to use a modern engine. Like a OS120AX with a rap around header. Think that would work? Back in the 80’s we had a Eu1 or EU1-A fuse, a friend made the stabs angle down and we cut a big set of wings put a ST2500 in it and he painted it like the F-4, he flew. Real fun plane. T Green
Really only one is making them at this time. Do a search and you'll find the guy in California is actually shipping fuses, pipe and belly pans. He'll cut wings and stabs too.
Don't hold your breath wainting on the East Coast guy......

Dave

CRAPTECH 10-15-2010 08:43 AM

Thanks Dave, That's one of the plane I am looking at to build this winter, just want a good running, crank everytime motor in it. TMG

Gene Margiotti 10-15-2010 08:48 AM

Tony,

Thanks for your input. I didn't realize that the differences would be that vast - when I receive my fuse for the EU-1A I'll compare it to the plans and post my thoughts for people to evaluate.

Gene

RFJ 10-15-2010 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

2. Why does the EU-1 plan that I have show two wing roots: one is 15% and the other is 17%?

This from the original EU1 article by designer Wayne Ulery. Not quite sure how he quantifies "improvement" and "slight edge".

Ray

Gene Margiotti 10-15-2010 02:44 PM

RFJ,

That is some great info, but not very conclusive. Thanks for your response.

Gene

pitstop000 10-15-2010 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: TonyF

There are lots of differences. The EU-1 was mostly foam and was larger then the EU-1A. I do seem to remember two different wing sections depending on how much power you think you could get out of a .60. I don't believe anything would interchange between an EU-1 and an EU-1A.
It’s Very interesting about the use of 2 different wings depending on power.

TonyF 10-15-2010 08:17 PM

When the original big EU-1 came out, it was really asking a lot from the current .61 powerplants. So the thinner wing was considered to reduce the drag and perhaps the weight a bit. I think that was what Wayne was saying in his article. I don't know what the wing thickness percentage is on the EU-1A, although I did have one. Used it as my back-up to a Tiporare at the 1980 Nats.

RFJ 10-16-2010 04:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gene,

A shot showing both versions. The Project Pattern articles mentioned were written by Bob Hunt(R) and Dean Pappas(L) and described the building and trimming of this EU-1A from the Dave Scully Aero Composites kit. A most interesting series, it ran from May 1984 until September 1986 in Flying Models magazine.

Ray

stuntflyr 10-16-2010 08:23 AM

If you closely at the Bobby Hunt model it's got about a million rivets and panel lines on that flawless finish. Cool looking jet style model. I hope that this becomes a popular build soon.
Chris...

Gene Margiotti 10-16-2010 09:04 AM

RFJ,

From looking at the pictures you provided, the turtledeck and the canopy area are quite different from the 1 to the 1A. The nose area on the 1A looks to be a bit sleeker, not as wide or tall. The engine head on the EU-1 picture looks lost inside the cowl area while on the 1A more of the cylinder and head are showing.

Thanks for your pictures.

Gene

dhal22 10-16-2010 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

If you closely at the Bobby Hunt model it's got about a million rivets and panel lines on that flawless finish. Cool looking jet style model. I hope that this becomes a popular build soon.
Chris...
chris, thx for the heads up. that is indeed a beautiful finish. maybe a lot of us will be assembling this plane soon.

RFJ 10-16-2010 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

If you closely at the Bobby Hunt model it's got about a million rivets and panel lines
I guess as a result of his background in control line stunt since those models received points for quality and detail of finish. If a similar rule had ever been applied to F3A, the Japanese would probably have won a lot of WCs :)

The panel lines, access hatches, inspection plates, rivet dots and screw heads were added using a #2 Rapidograph pen just before the final clear coat.

Ray

flywilly 10-16-2010 07:53 PM

Too bad the project pattern EU1-A met an untimely demise [:o]

stuntflyr 10-16-2010 10:56 PM

I haven't gotten all of those back issues; What DID happen to that model?
Chris...

RFJ 10-17-2010 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

What DID happen to that model?
This [:o]

Ray

bem 10-17-2010 06:01 AM

Hi Ray,
You are a living encyclopedia - I can not understand how you can remember where all info from the past is. Amazing.

/Bo

RFJ 10-17-2010 07:08 AM

Bo,

It seems to be a strange phenomenon associated with getting older - I can recall stuff from years ago but can't remember what I did yesterday [&o]

Ray

Gene Margiotti 10-17-2010 09:59 AM

RFJ,

Fantastic history :D:D Thanks.

Gene

stuntflyr 10-17-2010 11:27 AM

Thanks Ray. They must have had that thing trimmed out very well!
Chris...

edwarda10pilot 10-22-2010 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post a photo of an EU-1A flown by Jerry Budd in the 1987 Lancaster contest.

Ed

Gene Margiotti 10-22-2010 02:25 PM

Ed,

Thanks for the great pic!! I love the clean crisp lines of his paint scheme. A direct contrast to the rounded lines of today's modern pattern planes. This view of his plane also shows the canopy and turtle deck lines that I have found to be quite different from the EU-1 plans that I have. I like the sleeker lines of the EU-1A. Hope to have mine soon to work on this winter.

Gene