RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   World Championship Acapulco 1981 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/10736002-world-championship-acapulco-1981-a.html)

macro-RCU 09-26-2011 11:27 PM

World Championship Acapulco 1981

1 Attachment(s)
Hi friends,

This week is the 30th anniversary of World Championship Acapulco 1981 and I want to share this with you...

Feel free to download pictures and information, and of course share them...

Hope you enjoy.....

http://www.imacmexico.net/mundial_f3...ulco_1981.html

http://www.imacmexico.net/inauguraci...ulco_1981.html

http://www.imacmexico.net/competenci...ulco_1981.html

http://www.imacmexico.net/entrega_de...ulco_1981.html

All comments are welcome...

Regards

daggets 09-27-2011 01:23 AM

RE: World Championship Acapulco 1981

one of the best championship ever..... very interesting picture.... the prettner magic is.... ugly!!! the paint job is damaged and the plane not very well built!!
at this level, in 1981, there are still old kosmo 3 and mach 1.... and competitive!
a special edition of thouse time famous simprop sam had been made, the "acapulco edition"... a very nice period for competition!!!!

cllaurit 09-27-2011 02:51 AM

If that is in fact the original Magic then I wouldn't say it wasn't built well but didn't age well. Did Hanno leave the plane there after the WC or was it a backup one?

daggets 09-27-2011 04:37 AM

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...39/Qt30736.jpg

see what i mean?

bem 09-27-2011 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Which of the two planeswasHanno Prettner actually flying to1st place in Acapulco? The plane with the Kato variable pitch prop (that is what I have thought) or the Magicwith the fixed pitch prop in the pictures above?

I wonder if there was any videos taken of the flying? I do not know what video formats was used back in 1981 but I suppose it could be converted to a Youtube file today. It is so few officially available videos of older WC F3A (that I'm aware of) ...

/Bo

JeffH 09-27-2011 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: daggets

one of the best championship ever..... very interesting picture.... the prettner magic is.... ugly!!! the paint job is damaged and the plane not very well built!!
at this level, in 1981, there are still old kosmo 3 and mach 1.... and competitive!
a special edition of thouse time famous simprop sam had been made, the ''acapulco edition''... a very nice period for competition!!!!
Pics of the plane on the table without a spinner are modern day, check out the EFlite foamie in the background!

daggets 09-27-2011 10:33 AM

my god!!! you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!! this return to the future!!!!!!! normal for classic pattern!!!!!

macro-RCU 09-27-2011 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: cllaurit

If that is in fact the original Magic then I wouldn't say it wasn't built well but didn't age well. Did Hanno leave the plane there after the WC or was it a backup one?

Hi cllaurit,

On September 16, 17 and 18, a celebration was held in honor of the 30th anniversary of World Aerobatic Championship Acapulco 1981, and a pilot took the plane: Magic

This aircraft was a participant in 1981, and never meant to leave Acapulco... the plane no longer has the original motor and is not even flying, but it was a very pleasant surprise to have him there. If anyone knows more about this plane would be interesting to know its history...

By the way, the first 3 photos posted were taken in 1981, the last 4 were taken 10 days ago in the celebration days...

Regards

Free Bird 09-27-2011 11:14 AM

Pics of the plane on the table without a spinner are modern day, check out the EFlite foamie in the background!
Nice catch on the foamie! So can we assume that Prettner left this one behind?

FB

macro-RCU 09-27-2011 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: JeffH

a special edition of thouse time famous simprop sam had been made, the ''acapulco edition''... a very nice period for competition!!!!

Hi JeffH,

You are right.... that pic was taken 10 days a go.....

Here is a picture of Hanno and the Magic, the trophy of the left is the one that won in Acapulco.... look at the motor, Is that a Super Tigre and Kato variable pitch prop?... original motor is no longer in the plane....

Regards

macro-RCU 09-27-2011 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: cllaurit
Did Hanno leave the plane there after the WC or was it a backup one?
Hi cllaurit, not yet know, but we would like to know that part of the history of this aircraft... should be interesting...

To our knowledge, Hanno brought 2 aircraft to Acapulco...

Regards

pimmnz 09-27-2011 03:25 PM

Different (replaced) canopy too? Flaps missing? Hasn't flown for some time I would guess, and the fuel lifting the paint, but still, after 30 years of neglect, pretty good condition for an old model...Someone could tidy it up a bit, put a spinner on it the matches and it could still be flown..
Evan, WB #12.

doxilia 09-27-2011 05:47 PM

The Magic certainly hasn't enjoyed the same reputation as the Curare primarily because it wasn't considered to be as good a flyer and also because the Curare was the quintessential '70's pattern model while the Magic was a transition '80's pattern design with Hanno (and the FAI) changing design philosophy shortly thereafter with the Calypso and all subsequent models for the '80's during which he won first place consistently. Having said that, Hanno's models, from what I've been able to see from pictures such as the ones above were always well built and well engineered with his father being the support mechanic and also behind the engineering that they brought to Hanno's models.

The Magic was also Hanno's most complex model in terms of controls, features and systems. Based on this, and some careful examination of the "replica" model in the modern photos above it was clear at first glance that this wasn't Hanno's original model. I suppose anything is possible and that he might have left a model there and the new owner(s) might have mistreated it over the years and left it looking like the replica that we see. What I think is a more likely scenario is that someone in Mexico, probably around the time of the worlds during the '80's, built a replica of Hanno's model to the best of their abilities and it resulted with a newer version of the model we see. I grew up in Mexico during the '80's and there were pattern (now classic) models in every club and many were not very well built. The ones that were special, were also quite rare and you knew that model from far and away - you could even "feel" it coming as the cars drove into the club. I remember Mr. Luis Castaneda from those days as I used to fly in one of the same clubs as he did - he always had all the cool toys which I drooled over as a teenager. The formula one guys were another matter - their models were always painted to perfection and were a sight to behold. Those were the hard core guys. I guess they still are (but so are the pattern guys these days).

ORIGINAL: JeffH
Not only that is a clue but if you look at the logos and decals closely you see that they are not in the same place nor are the same ones in the model Hanno is shown with. The lines don't flow as they should and the canopy looks like it has been replaced several times thereby not fitting as well.

Roberto is right in saying that Hanno took two Magic's (at least) to Acapulco. I think taking a backup model was in general the norm in F3A but more than that I recall reading in an English model magazine an article where Hanno discussed the issue he had with the early Magic prototype which had an upright engine. The engine overheated and so did the pipe. The final configuration, as we know it, had the ST X61 TST (as shown by Bo in the pictures above with the MK varioprop) mounted inverted with an S-shape header that rose to the pipe and then the pipe muffler in the top deck of the model. That article might be the same as the primary Magic article (RCMB I believe) where the plans were published and Hanno discussed his engine issues. He also talks about the inverted configuration and the "engine flooding" issue which he describes as being absent despite the inverted carb. With the carb at a lower position than the crank intake to the cylinder, it is understandable why the engine didn't flood.

I believe that Hanno's backup Magic might have had a slightly different power configuration from the primary model but I can't recall clearly. I seem to also recall that his engine had in flight fuel mixture control - a feature I've never seen on a ST carb but common on Webra carbs (e.g., Dynamix) which he was using on the Curare and Super Sicroly (except for Italy '73 when he apparently used a Rossi 60) before that.

The Acapulco meet must have been a fun event to attend. Wish I had been there. Would have loved to take a "fresh" Magic or a Mystic 60 to the event...

Thanks for posting this thread Roberto - bien hecho y saludos desde Montreal!

David.

alcarafa 09-28-2011 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the opportunity of attending the world championship in Acapulco , great memories from the event.

Here is the promo poster of the Acapulco 1981 world championship, autographed by Hanno P.

daggets 09-28-2011 12:22 PM

the rolls of thouse days.... hanno s radio for the championship...
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/attac...1&d=1316875322