RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Custom Woodcraft Flight Box (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/10976720-custom-woodcraft-flight-box.html)

Patrick F 02-26-2012 10:38 AM

Custom Woodcraft Flight Box

Hi Guy's Does anybody have one of these boxes, if so can you take some pictures of it especially the bottom where the folding legs are, i may want to reproduce something like it.

Thanks Pat
Lasercut USA

doxilia 02-26-2012 11:22 AM

RE: Custom Woodcraft Flight Box

Good idea Pat! I was just thinking that a good laser cut toolbox would be useful.

Also, how about a smart model stand that can be adjusted in width and has a tool tray. I've seen some around but none that quite fit my needs.

David

flywilly 02-26-2012 11:51 AM

The Japanese had some really nice adjustable model stands which I've seen photos of here in the pattern forum (with airplanes) which looked pretty easy to replicate. I could use a couple! I haven't seen a Woodcraft field box in ages, but they are really nice!!

Patrick F 02-26-2012 12:06 PM

My idea is to try to replicate the old Custom Flight Box i had one back in the day and boy you were cool if you had one, i started one this week end but need to see the bottom for the legs, the fact that i am a Lasercutter does not mean the box will all be Lasercut just the front will be the rest will be hand done. So anybody with one i would appreciate the pictures.

Thanks Pat
Lasercut USA

dhal22 02-26-2012 12:21 PM

I have one. Would you like photos? Or I could mail you a leg and folding assembly to copy.

Patrick F 02-26-2012 12:24 PM

Hi David, I think photos should do if you can get me with the legs folded and then another with the legs down that should work fine. I do appreciate it.

Thanks Pat
Lasercut USA

dhal22 02-26-2012 02:47 PM

Just ordered a new battery charger for my camera. Don't let it slip my mind.

pitstop000 02-26-2012 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Pat here is a quick pic of the bottom; left side is broken as you can see.

Roguedog 02-26-2012 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Someone was making them in 2008 as I bought a brand new one from him. See pics. The number I called then 530-336-6990.</p>

I had him make a long drawer on top so that I could have room for up to 15 inch props and 3 side drawers of different sizes the right hand side. The original Custom Woodcraft Flight Box would not hold props bigger then 8 or 9 inches.</p>

He did an excellant job but forgot to add the ball catches on the legs. This had to be one of the best parts of the Flight Box as the legs would latch in the folded up position and latch when extended for use. You can see the extra long top drawer and side drawers.</p>

Also here's the ad that I got the number from.</p>

Skylane 02-26-2012 07:54 PM

Custom Woodcraft is still making flight boxes according to a post elsewhere on RCU. There is no web site, but the phone number is 530-336-6990. According to the post it was still working as of 12/5/2008.

Jeff

Roguedog 02-26-2012 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The original owner sold the business and templates. The new owner does not make them year round. He has a long turn around but won't charge your credit card until the order is finished.

The ball catches or bullet catchesare hard to find but are still available. If the Flight Box is left without them you will be tightening the legs just about ever other time out.

thomas.crown 03-31-2012 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I remembered these flight boxes from 30 years ago. I didn't think to look around on the web for info and built my own with the features I remembered like the fold up stand on top, wing cradle etc. Mine is a bit bigger than the CW box, but it gets everything I need to the field. I've had it for 5 years and it's holding up nicely.

Roguedog 03-31-2012 10:10 PM

TC,

Nice custom built flight box. At first I loaded mineup withabunchtools and spares. I'm finally got to the point where I had to limit what I put in mine cause it was getiin to heavy and yours looks huge compared to mine. I had two batteries various wrenches, tools, props, spare accessories,etc. Finally got it slim enough so it wasn't hard to hold it with one hand and open the legs with the other.

Regards

thomas.crown 04-03-2012 02:24 PM

I still don't know why I never searched the web when I built it. I don't think I remembered the name until I saw it in Model Aviation a year or so ago.

Yes it is heavy, but can still be carried. I ran across a small dolly (intended for luggage?) and I use that to get from the truck to the pit area. Makes a huge difference. I've got about a 20 mile drive to the field and if I was missing a critical tool or partit meant either doing a 40 mile round trip or giving up for the day.

I now keep my fuel and starting equipment, 2 radios, hand tools and a small electric screwdriver, repair materials and props in the box. I usually bring another large plastic bin with all the stuff I might need but don't want to lug to the pit. Works for me.

Also, I made a couple of dowels tipped with silicon that attach to my fold-up cradle. I attach them and have an easy CG checker. I also attached some of those large flat magnets in key places to keep screws and small parts from getting away.

I wish that I had put the power panel in a removable caddy (that's what the original ones I saw had) but I didn't want to make it any harder to build since I didn't have plans. I never thought to make a wide drawer for large props. Since my box is oversized, I can get 11" props inside. At this point I don't see myself making another.

I've been working on a scratch build of the first model that MA published (F5 pattern job from July 1975). It looked so cool I couldn't resist. Very light on information and the plans are not up to current standards. It has been close to totally building from scratch without plans. I have it all framed and am doing the final sanding/fitting prior to glass and paint. I had never built anything with a totally rounded fuse with curves everywhere. Very strong and it really looks nice. Sure hope it flies after all of the effort!

brown2x2 09-07-2012 01:53 PM

I have one for sale....... $100 shipped in Con US

Patrick F 09-08-2012 10:21 AM

sent you a PM

Pat

seflyer 10-21-2012 09:01 AM

Custom Woodcraft is still there, spoke with him this morning. box runs 200.00 and there is 4 optional drawers available for 40.00 lead time is 4-6 weeks. shipping not included. will be placing my order shortly. phone is still correct at 530-336-6990

Kevin

Roguedog 10-21-2012 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Kevin,

Good to here. If I may make a suggestion ask for a large top drawer for props as that was a major drawback to the 2 or 3 small drawers in the middle.

This is the one I had him build thatI use every time out. I had him make a large prop drawer plus the 3 side drawersinstead of 4. One other thing you might have him do if u decide to got one is add the ball or bulletcatches on the legs. Seems this feature has been forgotten. The ball or bullet catch lock the legs up or down.

Bryan.

jog0723 10-25-2012 09:45 AM

if the box is still avail do you have any pics to see condition

Thanks
Jim Graham