RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Dirty Birdy ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11032339-dirty-birdy-arf.html)

ChiefK 05-30-2012 09:10 AM

RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

Thwarted again..... took the DB out for it's maiden flight today, but NO-GO due to a problem with fuel tank. Taking it out - putting it back in. Try again soon. Flew my Kaos 60 instead.

ChiefK
Finally got the DB into the air. First did some fuel run testing, then with 7-8 mph crosswind, taxied it out. Outstanding first flight. Very smooth, did everything I know how to do in this first flight. Slowed down for landing nicely and softly touched down right in front of me.

Balance: used 3/4oz to offset sidemounted engine, and three oz in the tail to hit the cg right on.

I love it!

ChiefK
The 3/4oz weight to counteract the side mounted engine was too much. Took 1/4oz out. Will test again tomorrow (I hope). Also adjusted the tail weight to 2oz. Actually that was self adjusted since some of the weight fell off in flight.... and I didn't notice. This airplane also made its first deadstick landing yesterday (on the runway), but I'm sure liking the way it flys.

ChiefK

Free Bird 06-01-2012 03:23 AM

Free Bird,
In your flight report, you said you have the Hobbico mechanical retract in your DB, may I ask how did you get rid of the side play in the main gear?? My first flight was off of a pave runway that my club can use only two times a year, but at our grass field the plane would not taix out of the pit to the run up box. Now when the gears is down, they are lock, but still have the side play. I have check all the screws on the case to make sure they are tight and they was, but still have side play. Any info will be a big help!!
Thanks you!!!

Sonny
Sonny,

After about 20 flights from a grass field, my main gear doesn't really have any side play. All I did before installing them was to adjust both set screws so there wasn't any play. That made them a little on the tight side when actuated by hand. After cycling them about a dozen times, they worked pretty smooth. No issues to date, they have worked very well.

FB

jet22b 06-01-2012 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Free Bird,
In your flight report, you said you have the Hobbico mechanical retract in your DB, may I ask how did you get rid of the side play in the main gear?? My first flight was off of a pave runway that my club can use only two times a year, but at our grass field the plane would not taix out of the pit to the run up box. Now when the gears is down, they are lock, but still have the side play. I have check all the screws on the case to make sure they are tight and they was, but still have side play. Any info will be a big help!!
Thanks you!!!

Sonny
Sonny,

After about 20 flights from a grass field, my main gear doesn't really have any side play. All I did before installing them was to adjust both set screws so there wasn't any play. That made them a little on the tight side when actuated by hand. After cycling them about a dozen times, they worked pretty smooth. No issues to date, they have worked very well.

FB
Thanks FB.
Last night I pull the gears and check the sets screws and use thread lock to keep them tight. Like you said, they are on the tight side, but, I can live with that. Flying her tomorrow and see what will happen. Thanks again, for you help and info. Thinking of picking two more when Tower have them back in-stock!!
Have a great weekend of flying!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

patternflyer76 06-01-2012 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a little trick I like to use to get epoxy deep in there. I use a child's liquid cold medicine applicator and bendy straws. It makes a great vacuum to suck up the epoxy and shoot it into where I need it. I only suck up enough to fill the straw and not the applicator so I do not waste the applicator.

Kevin

edp 06-01-2012 12:22 PM

Now that is a COOL trick:D I'll keep that idea in the back of my mind (if it doesn't get lost back there)

ChiefK 06-01-2012 02:33 PM

Thwarted again..... took the DB out for it's maiden flight today, but NO-GO due to a problem with fuel tank. Taking it out - putting it back in. Try again soon. Flew my Kaos 60 instead.

ChiefK
Finally got the DB into the air. First did some fuel run testing, then with 7-8 mph crosswind, taxied it out. Outstanding first flight. Very smooth, did everything I know how to do in this first flight. Slowed down for landing nicely and softly touched down right in front of me.

Balance: used 3/4oz to offset sidemounted engine, and three oz in the tail to hit the cg right on.

I love it!

ChiefK
The 3/4oz weight to counteract the side mounted engine was too much. Took 1/4oz out. Will test again tomorrow (I hope). Also adjusted the tail weight to 2oz. Actually that was self adjusted since some of the weight fell off in flight.... and I didn't notice. This airplane also made its first deadstick landing yesterday (on the runway), but I'm sure liking the way it flys.

ChiefK
1/4oz may have been a little too much to remove. The right wing seemed to move down just a little... will leave it as is for a few more flights to make sure. Plan to take the DB out again over the weekend.. Hopefully someone will be at the flying field to get some in-flight photos. Anybody else doing flight trim work?

ChiefK

EscapeFlyer 06-01-2012 06:14 PM

ChiefK

I love it!

ChiefK

Hey Chief!

Now THAT looks like a true classic pattern Dirty Birdy! VERY NICE decal work!

Brian

ChiefK 06-02-2012 03:30 AM

Thanks Brian,

I have always enjoyed finding or making context appropriate decals (mostly "making") to make my airplanes stand out.

Greg

ChiefK 06-03-2012 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

1/4oz may have been a little too much to remove. The right wing seemed to move down just a little... will leave it as is for a few more flights to make sure. Plan to take the DB out again over the weekend.. Hopefully someone will be at the flying field to get some in-flight photos. Anybody else doing flight trim work?

ChiefK
[/quote]

Trim seems to be getting real close... here are some photos from the flying field taken today.

ChiefK

vasek 06-03-2012 11:48 AM

Looking good Chief! Like in good old days :)

Cheers, V.

ChiefK 06-03-2012 12:37 PM

Thanks Vasek - it was a fun morning!

ChiefK

jet22b 06-03-2012 01:05 PM

Chiefk;
I think I will do like you did, put the fix gears in my DB!!! I have had it with the Hobbico retract. The mains are great, but, the nose gear is a pain in the "A"!! The steering pin is so weak, it let the nose gear turn side-ways even against the rudder servo. I don't want to wait one more year to fly her off the pavement!! Back in the 70's I did not have retract, so I am going back to old school!!
Sweet day at the field for you!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

ChiefK 06-03-2012 01:22 PM

Sonny,

Good decision I think. The two I had back in the day, both had retracts. If I had had them this morning, I'd be fixing the nose gear now. I saw the nose gear bend way back (gopher hole or something), broke the prop too, but the nose gear strut popped right back in place by itself with no damage. Simple is usually better. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

ChiefK

patternflyer76 06-07-2012 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some pics of my arming switch...

ChiefK 06-07-2012 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: patternflyer76

Some pics of my arming switch...
I don't know what that is. Please explain what it is and how it works.

ChiefK

patternflyer76 06-07-2012 05:29 PM

It is a way to disarm the motor from the outside if something goes wrong or haywire. It breaks the circuit between the battery and electronic speed control. The motor gets no juice. Just an another place a failure can happen in the system, but it is a great way to arm and disarm the motor easy. I can hook up my battery between rounds and leave the arming plug out and it is the same as if I had not plugged the battery up to the ESC/motor. Simply put the plug in and you are ready to go. Also I bought one with a way to discharge the capacitors in the ESC so you do not get a nasty spark when plugging in the arming plug.

Its all new to me so I did the best I could in my description.

Kevin

doxilia 06-07-2012 06:24 PM

Greg,

Simply put, it's a circuit breaker. The positive red lead of the speed control is cut and jumpered with the arming switch. No plug, no current to the speed control (sort of like a fuel pincher to the carburetor...)

David

ChiefK 06-08-2012 02:48 AM

Thanks David. I have a huge learning curve ahead of me if/when I get in "electrics".

Greg

Falcon6667 06-08-2012 03:19 AM

Greg Good looking pics. of the DB flying. Can you slow it down on landing an get it nose high?
Falcon

hook57 06-08-2012 09:17 AM

Sonny,
Good decision I think. The two I had back in the day, both had retracts. If I had had them this morning, I'd be fixing the nose gear now. I saw the nose gear bend way back (gopher hole or something), broke the prop too, but the nose gear strut popped right back in place by itself with no damage. Simple is usually better. Glad you enjoyed the photos.
ChiefK

Chief,
Great pics of the DB! How does it do on the vertical pullswith the Speed .61? That looks like a Macs pipe on it too (what product number is it)? I'm debating whether or not to pick up afour strokeror just put a two stroker in my DB. I have a choice of O.S., Kraft, Rossi, and Webra I could use. I've never run a Webra Speed, but I have a RE and SE version, and one with the Dynamix (sic) carb, which I could swap for a more conventional style (Webra too). I'm going to go fixed gear and no pipe but I want good solid vertical performance. Don't need 400' loops, but 200' footers would be nice! I've got the P-7 on a pipe and retracts and can use that for CPA style events and the DB for the few SPA events I plan to attend. Thanks for any feedback you can provide Chief!.
Mark
AMA 63845
SPA 384
NEPCO 6 (I think)
NSRCA 4408

ChiefK 06-08-2012 12:11 PM

Thanks Mark...

If you want to use a Mac's muffler like mine (this is not a tuned pipe) for your Webra Speed .61 you'll need a MAC's 6700 muffler with an adapter plate. Which adapter plate depends on whether or not you have the factory drilled and tapped holes in the Webra .61 exhaust stack. The engine in my DB has no factory drilled holes for a muffler, so I use the 6768 strap-on adapter. My other Webra Speed has factory drilled and tapped holes in the exhaust stack, so the same muffler is used, but the 6858 bolt-on adapter is needed. So I bought one muffler and two adapters.

I'm still making adjustments to balance, prop, control movement, servo end-points and speed. So far, vertical performance with the Webra Speed is quite good. I can make very large loops, but I make a somewhat smaller Immelman turn due the need to have keep good speed for the roll-out on top. I really like the performance with a strong .61. From my perspective, a 4-stroke is just 'wrong"... but suit yourself.

ChiefK

ChiefK 06-08-2012 12:15 PM

Slows down and lands quite nicely if you balance it correctly. With a Webra .61 2-stroke engine up front, mine needed 1.25oz of lead weight in the tail. Obviously more tail weight would be needed with a heavier engine.

ChiefK

Skylane 06-09-2012 03:01 PM

I just got back from test flying my new DB. I'm using an OS 61 SF-P with a 14 oz tank back near the CG. After two break-in ground runs the engine was ready to fly and I proceeded to put in 7 flights. To say the least, I am very impressed. Very little trimming was needed - basically just fine-tuning the throws. It flies straight and has plenty of power. I'm getting 10.9-11k while still running a bit rich using a 12x8 APC and 15% Omega fuel. Basically, the plane already flies as well as my Compensator and I've still got some tweaks to do (lateral balance, move the CG back about 1/4 in, monokote the elevator and aileron hinge lines.) I was practicing the SPA Expert pattern by the second flight. I am very impressed that Great Planes has produced a high quality great flying pattern plane at the price they have. I'll have more to say if the rain lets up in time to fly some more tomorrow.

Jeff

stuntflyr 06-09-2012 07:51 PM

Is that an OS muffler on that SF?
Chris...

Skylane 06-10-2012 04:58 AM

No, I'm using a Mac's muffler.

Jeff