RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   MAGIC 60 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11151275-magic-60-a.html)

auggie622 07-11-2012 06:42 AM

MAGIC 60

NEED A LITTLE INPUT. CURRENTLY ON EBAY, THERE IS A MAGIC 60 UP FOR AUCTION. IT IS PRODUCE FROM A COMPANY IN GERMAY CALLED "ROGMODELL". CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME HISTORY ON THIS COMPANY ESPECIALLY THEIR PRODUCTS. APPRECIATE ALL INPUTS
THANKS, STEVEN

daggets 07-11-2012 07:23 AM

RE: MAGIC 60

i had one in 1983... it was the very best at this time.... perfect balsa sheeted foam wing, fiberglass fuse with no gel coat, the nose cowl was abs made, and kind of crappy.... it s a ready to build aircraft, you ll have to prepare all the installation of the accessories, like retracts, engine, servo trays....
but the airplane was among the best in flight, could fly very slow comparing to the curare, better for rolls, and not tricky at all, althought it was very fast....
a bit of work, but what is done is well done, exept the nose cowl...

daggets 07-11-2012 07:43 AM

oh!! i forgot... you ll have to build a special header, "s" shaped, because the engine is inverted and the tuned pipe is on the top of the airplane... you ll have also to make 6 or seven holes in the clear canopy to improve the cooling of the engine...
don t believe people who says that the real name of the plane was "tragic"..... it is the ultimate classic pattern... even if it is a little bit complicated than the others...

stuntflyr 07-11-2012 08:30 AM

I think the Tragic moniker was attached to a US made clone kit of the Magic.
Chris...

auggie622 07-11-2012 09:58 AM

appreciate the replys. As for the header, I have one - thanks again

auggie622 07-11-2012 10:02 AM

If you look at the pictures in ebay, under "pattern" you'll see a picture of the contents, especially the "white" ABS. Is this what you were referring to as "crappy"? What was so crappy about it?

countilaw 07-11-2012 12:12 PM

I remember the kit very well. I was flying the Magic's in pattern at the time and ran across one of these ROGMODELL kits. Compared to the other kits available, it was junk. The ABS cowl looked beyond terrible but absolutely gross. The epoxy glass fuselage was not straight and had numerous dips and bulges in it. And they were cheap back then.

I passed then and I'm not interested in this one today. There are better kits available.

Frank

daggets 07-12-2012 09:14 AM

the abs was crappy as abs is usually when used as a cowl... it is falling apart very quick... there was a fiberglass replacement, sold at the same time for $50 !
there was dips and bulges on the fuselage, but it was straight and light... it has not been a long work to make it perfect...
The kit was VERY expensive back then!!! about $300 in 1983!!!
the kit was approved by hanno himself, thats why he was pictured on the box.... and, probably, why the kit was so expensive...

daggets 07-12-2012 09:19 AM

better kits available? sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are in 2012, now!!!!
and a today corvette is far better than a 1965 jaguar type "e"!!!!!!
but classic means classy!!!!

bandit_av 07-12-2012 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: daggets

i had one in 1983... it was the very best at this time.... perfect balsa sheeted foam wing, fiberglass fuse with no gel coat, the nose cowl was abs made, and kind of crappy.... it s a ready to build aircraft, you ll have to prepare all the installation of the accessories, like retracts, engine, servo trays....
but the airplane was among the best in flight, could fly very slow comparing to the curare, better for rolls, and not tricky at all, althought it was very fast....
Hi
I'm second to what was written above.
One of my best plane I ever had in the past. Fast (Rossi 61 RE) , stable, although if you pushed it to the end of the flight envelope
it could be tackle you because it wasn't so forgiven in the very end of flight envelope.
I wish I had a picture of it when I was young.... :(.
I had the same kit of the Magic, and as I remember the wings quality was good, but the fuselage quality was poor, and it had to be
a lot of filler, for example, for the finish.
It is far far below the standard we are using and can see today, the fiberglass fuselage work was not so good!

Hope I helped you and enjoy with it.
Avi

bandit_av 07-12-2012 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: daggets

Hi
I'm second to what was written above.
One of my best plane I ever had in the past. Fast (Rossi 61 RE) , stable, although if you pushed it to the end of the flight envelope
it could be tackle you because it wasn't so forgiven in the top end point of flight envelope.
I wish I had a picture of it when I was young.... :(.
I had the same kit of the Magic, and as I remember the wings quality was good, but the fuselage quality was poor, and it had to be
a lot of filler, for example, for the finish.
It is far far below the standard we are using and can see today, the fiberglass fuselage work was not so good!

Hope I helped you and enjoy with it.
Avi

auggie622 07-12-2012 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I think after reading the replys and especially after carefully looking at the photo on ebay, you can see this big depression at the forward left side of the fuse, I'm backing off this one. You will always have thosethat will swear by them and those that will find numerous faults and rightly so. Being a pattern flyer for the last 35+ years, there's nothing worst than a bad fiberglass fuse, to start with. Check out this picture</p>

bandit_av 07-12-2012 11:28 AM

Hey Auggie
Following to my last post and your last one, I can see and remember the poor fiberglass fuse.
But!!! in the right price it is worth it. very much worth it!!
You will have a lot of work on the fuse. with heat gun and filler to get it in shape
but again, in the right price it is worth it.

Avi

frequent flyer 07-12-2012 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Auggie

Have you seen the kits I make?

auggie622 07-12-2012 02:46 PM

The question becomes, due I want to take the time, spend the money and probably invent some swear words that have not come across this planet earth - answer, a big "NOPE". I've worked with these type of fuse in my younger years and even then, they were a pain in the butt. I guess I was just hoping the wind would blow right in my direction and snatch up one of these fine pattern beauties. MK kits are out there but far and few and when they do come across the table, you pay for it - and you should, its an "MK" kit. I'm looking foward to getting together with Don of "frequentFlyer" and taking my Arrow fuse for him to mold. I spoke with him about two weeks ago and had no ideal how he has preserve these great planes. I told him when he is ready to let me know and I'll bring the Arrow fuse to him -also, I'll need to bring plenty of money as he has informed me of whats in his inventory - @#$%, here I go again.

Steven

daggets 07-16-2012 08:28 AM

sold for $650..... not bad!!!!!

bandit_av 07-16-2012 09:49 AM

Way too much!!!!

I wish it was produced again because it is in my one of top choices of buying along with the EU1A, and the Italian Rogero pasqualini Galaxy.

BR
Avi

auggie622 07-16-2012 01:15 PM

TOTALLY AGREE - WAY TO MUCH

countilaw 07-16-2012 11:09 PM

You can bet someone is trying to think of away to get rid of it and get back the money they spent on it. Way over priced for a poor product.

Frank

stuntflyr 07-16-2012 11:56 PM

An XKE is ALWAYS better than a Corvette!

But hey, was this model straight and true as far as incidences, etc?
I thought it was a US clone of the Magic that was crappy, had negative wing incidence?

Chris...

speed-panzer 07-17-2012 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Roegamodel kit of the Magic 60 was officially licensed by Hanno Prettner. In my eyes the quality is absolutely ok for that aera.
Hanno once told that the fuselage was little bit soft against twisting during knife edge, compared to the wood built up fuselages. But besides that it was a good kit of his ultimate "all the bells and whistles design pattern plane". That´s the reason I like it for.

hrdflite 07-24-2012 07:40 AM

You can get a brand new Magic,curare,super curare,arrow arrow800 glass fuse,foam cores,instructions, from Quality Line KIts,.the original manufacturer of these kits. you can order one from Hobby Barn,520 747 3633. I am currently putting together a super curare,with ys .60. this is not a rumor ,just laid up brand new arrow,super curare todays lay up. I reccomend getting one while you can. Rob

auggie622 07-24-2012 11:52 AM

WHATS INCLUDED WITH THE KIT. i CAN'T FIND EITHER WEBSITE, HOBBY BARN OR QUALITY LINE KITS THAT SHOWS WHATS INCLUDED</p>

hrdflite 07-24-2012 05:41 PM

short kits are glass fuse foam cores for wing and stab,drawing ,instructions this is a basic builders kit 250 plus shipping. web sight is down call me at the shop 5207473633, 10 to 6 weekdays . I also offer with wings sheeted,stab sheeted leading and trailing edges in place and shaped,plus wood parts,elevators, rudder,also we can ship set up for your motor,mount drilled,taped,firewalldrilled blind nutted and firewall installed,we sold many of these in the 80's and 90,swe had basic ,custom,custom deluxe, ..if you are interested in these kits,curare,super curare,arrow,magic,thunderbird,minare,40 size magic,we have new and old tooling,and are starting prodution again, lets talk pattern. call hobby barn ,ask for rob,and i will set you up with a very nice Quality Line Kit.

hrdflite 07-24-2012 06:23 PM

p.s. also i have the custom header pipe for magic,,,,off topic ,how do you post pics here?