RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   EAC Mach1 prebuild questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11296453-eac-mach1-prebuild-questions.html)

pilotx 11-13-2012 03:38 PM

EAC Mach1 prebuild questions

Ok guys, just a couple of questions before I get started on this build. I have a Eureka Aircraft Mach1 and MAN plans

Any info will be appreciated, THANKS in advance

Spars: are they needed in the construction of the foam wings? I was planning on laminating some Carbon thread its like 3/8 inch wide from DaveBrown Products is this enough? or do i need more.

I'm using Mechanical Retracts in this one just to keep with the Old School era of this build and i am having a hard time wraping my head around how with a single retract servo in the wing, how is the front/nose gear actuating wire hooked up and removed when transporting with the wing not attached to the plane? seems like a pain in the butt to unhook this each time. I'm thinking of using a small servo in the nose wheel bay to simplify this.

also i have two choices of glue for sheeting the wing, both are on hand in house one is 3M 77 spray and the other is Elmers Ultimate is either one better that the other

this is my first pattern build and i am planning on doing a build thread if their is any interest?

doxilia 11-13-2012 05:11 PM

RE: EAC Mach1 prebuild questions

Spars: forget about small balsa spars in the foam wing unless used to support the landing gear block back to the root. CF is definitely the way to go. Use two under the wing, one near the 30% chord line where it doesn't interfere with anything else and another along the TE. You can optionally use another on the core top.

Retracts: use two servos for less headaches. You might wind up with a third small servo for steering in the nose bay.

American 3M 77 will dissolve foam. Canadian 3M 77 is a different formulation and doesn't. Regardless, I would recommend polyU (Elmer's) or laminating epoxy.

David

PatternPilot 11-13-2012 05:55 PM

+1 on what David said....

We do a .007 x 1/2 wide carbon strip top always , bottom sometimes.

That is why I like Taildraggers... :D

That's right, on the spray glue... David I have lost my Canadian vendor info for the Spray 77 do you have info for a source ?

Elmer's polyglue the only way to do wings !! I have a set drying now.

Scott
CPA#2

J Strong 11-13-2012 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the inside look of one of my two Mach Ones.

J Strong 11-13-2012 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my two Mach Ones, pictured with their builder, Art Azlin from Huntsville.

doxilia 11-13-2012 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

That's right, on the spray glue... David I have lost my Canadian vendor info for the Spray 77 do you have info for a source ?

Scott
CPA#2
Scott,

Just about every hardware, paint supply and art shop here carries it. But probably the easiest place to order from online is Canadian Tire.

David

Alan W 11-19-2012 10:34 AM

Damn ... thats Sexxxy

(the Mach's ... not the builder but props to him on his skilz) :eek:

hrrcflyer 11-19-2012 12:13 PM

Pilot,
Go ahead and do a build thread, I for one will follow along..............:D:D

Jamie,
I have a dumb question for you. In the first picture you sent, what is the short rod with the ball links connected to the middle of the rudder servo for?

David

doxilia 11-19-2012 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer
Jamie,
I have a dumb question for you. In the first picture you sent, what is the short rod with the ball links connected to the middle of the rudder servo for?

David
David,

that's a good one. I was wondering the same thing at first and then I realized that it probably is a "servo stabilizer". The rudder servo wants to be very firm in place and one way to "cement" it is to lock the output shaft in place by using a firm short pushrod anchored to the plate. The ball links allow the servo arm to rotate but the lock rod keeps it from moving fore-aft or side-to-side.

Jamie, please correct me if I'm wrong.

David

J Strong 11-19-2012 01:25 PM

That's exactly right. It's a stabilizing shaft support sold by Horizon. I've heard cases where a few servo gears snap off at the point of the shaft with no support, but never seen it personally. JR' s 821 servo is the one I have heard of, on more than one occasion.

pilotx 11-19-2012 03:29 PM

still getting things sorted out for the Mach1, while finishing a 1/5 scale mustang. I hope to start in honest after the Thanksgiving hoilday...

cosgrra 06-05-2013 10:12 AM

What is the status of the build thread?

pilotx 06-08-2013 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry no build thread but here is some recent shots of the project. Fell free to ask any questions.. oops two of the same pictures, and inverted perfect for a pattern Bird...

cosgrra 06-08-2013 06:40 PM

It looks very good. Were the any special problems encountered in the build and what engine did you mount in it.

roncoleman 06-09-2013 04:15 PM

J Strong,

Had a question on the extended fin/rudder used on your Mach Ones. Have you notice any flight handling improvements
over the original fin/rudder location? Looks like your stab/elevators may be larger also. Am I correct with that statement?
Sure are nice looking Mach Ones!

Ron

pilotx 06-12-2013 02:06 PM

Engine is O.s. 65AX not sure what pipe or header. no real issues, although the motor mount in this one, is a laminated hard wood rail. as for the extended rudder/fin, this is built from MAN plans and is a near perfect profile of them. *this is a Eureka Aircraft short kit with their foams*:) VERY HAPPY with this Kit. Glassing will begin soon, I still have several details to iron out like wing seat and fillet some minor shaping around aft of the canopy and raised spine. but hope to get this in the air before end of July, also a mustang Giant scale to be painted and detailed by then....
I will try to answer any question but please let me apologize in advance for not replying promptly..

pilotx 11-05-2014 02:31 PM

My Mach !

2 Attachment(s)
just about ready for Clear coat

picard1 11-06-2014 09:40 AM

Wow, looks fantastic!!!

KLXMASTER14 11-09-2014 06:38 AM

Wow! Congrats on an awesome build. I'll bet that it will fly as nicely as it looks. Good luck!

Robert

doxilia 11-09-2014 03:53 PM

Nice build PilotX and welcome to the forum!

David

pilotx 11-11-2014 03:30 PM

Thanks Guys.

With the Polar vortex crap it's prolly gonna be a long winter here. so its gonna be a while before the first flights for this bird so I think i'll build another. Now what Pattern plane is next, I love the look of a Classic pattern ship...