RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   HIP POCKET by John Miller (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11298919-hip-pocket-john-miller.html)

pitstop000 11-15-2012 09:18 PM

HIP POCKET by John Miller

<p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: justify; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

</p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: justify; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">HIP POCKET by John Miller</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: justify; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><font face="Verdana"></font></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: justify; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">I&rsquo;m looking for a set of plans of Jeff Miller&rsquo;s Hip Pocket! And/or any info that can help me find a set of plans. This was his 60 size Pattern Plane.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: justify; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><font face="Verdana"></font></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: justify; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">He also designed the Side Pocket 40, plans published by RCM.</font></p>

doxilia 11-15-2012 09:28 PM

RE: HIP POCKET by John Miller

There we go... Nice Paul!

Magic may just happen here. We'll have to wait and see.

David

flywilly 11-16-2012 04:06 PM

John Miller. I haven't seen John since the '80s, but I ran into an old flying buddy when I was back in MA visiting my parents. He told me John is still living in Westford, MA. I think John is mostly doing car restoration these days, but if you can get in contact with him I'm sure he could help.
-Will

pitstop000 11-18-2012 06:31 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Hey Will, </font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><font face="Verdana"></font></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">I haven&rsquo;t had much luck in locating John with the info you have provided, but I&rsquo;ll keep trying.

Do you have any more info that&rsquo;s more specific? </font></p>

pitstop000 11-18-2012 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John Miller's Hip Pocket
<hr size="1" style="background-color: #c5ccd3; color: #c5ccd3" /><! / icon and title ><! message ><div id="post_message_23289150">This pic was taken from Ron Van Putte&rsquo;s 1985 NATS article published in the AMA Mag.</div>

doxilia 11-18-2012 09:40 PM

Paul,

What about trying to contact Ron Van Putte? I'm assuming he's still around but maybe I'm off there.

There is mention that he planned to built one from John's excellent plans...

David

pitstop000 11-18-2012 09:53 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Hey David, waiting to hear back from Ron!</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><font face="Verdana"></font></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">I&rsquo;ll keep following every lead I can get.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif</font></p>

doxilia 11-18-2012 10:17 PM

Paul,

Excellent. I look forward to hearing back.

Not much to go on, but if I'd have to guess, the 60 and 40 share a very similar wing and stab planform. I wonder if he changed the aspect ratio of the model when going down to the 40 which I presume came after. The photo does seem to show a slightly longer fuse, proportionately, than the 40's. Top deck pipe too in all likelihood.

Mark's comment seems quite on. It does have Boot overtones. Rick thought the 40 looked a bit like a Compensator which is shorter than the Boot.

BTW, what's the deal on the Boot's vertical? Was it sheet balsa filleted into the glass fuse?

David

pitstop000 11-18-2012 10:23 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Exactly David, just sheet balsa filleted to the glass Fuse for the Bootlegger.</font></p>
Quote:

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Paul,

BTW, what's the deal on the Boot's vertical? Was it sheet balsa filleted into the glass fuse?

David
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

pitstop000 11-19-2012 08:46 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Hey David, I got John&rsquo;s last address from Ron, sending a letter tomorrow! </font></p>
Quote:

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Paul,

Excellent. I look forward to hearing back.

David

doxilia 11-19-2012 09:51 PM

Replied on the other thread.

David

pitstop000 01-10-2013 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<div id="post_message_23772317">Here is the latest news.

I have been in contact with John and a set of plans are on the way to me.
In the meantime he sent me a pdf file to review while the plans are en route.

The Hip Pocket a 60 rear exhaust design looks a lot like his 40 size Side Pocket but on steroids!</div>

Roguedog 01-11-2013 12:31 AM

Dude! That is way cool! Add another Classic Pattern plane to the list.

Got a better pick so we can see the details?

Bryan

mercura 01-11-2013 05:22 AM

Great news, Looking forward to hearing more.

Dave