RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Classic Pattern Airplane engine question.... (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11323482-classic-pattern-airplane-engine-question.html)

EscapeFlyer 12-08-2012 12:04 AM

Classic Pattern Airplane engine question....

Hmmmm....

I know the R61F RE Novarossi is the non-ceramic bearing engine.

I know the R61F-C RE Novarossi has the ceramic bearings.... Dangerous to long life and use too.

Both engines are mean ugly Monster powerhouses. (Bridi Escape worthy engines!)

What is the C61F RE Novarossi engine??? (Bridi Escape worthy engine?)

Brian

PatternPilot 12-08-2012 05:00 AM

RE: Classic Pattern Airplane engine question....

I would go with a NONE ceramic bearing, but that is me.

s,

doxilia 12-08-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: EscapeFlyer
What is the C61F RE Novarossi engine??? (Bridi Escape worthy engine?)
Brian,

Name designation change in 2008. The C61F is the older engine.

David

Roguedog 12-08-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

I would go with a NONE ceramic bearing, but that is me.

s,
+1 on not using ceramic bearings.

When I got back into the hobby in 2008 I purchased several engines off ebay and spent money on ceramic bearings thinking these should make the engines better.

Wrong! I hadabout 50 flights on a Kaos with a OS Max 50FSR and I minor prop strike during a bad landing fractured some of the bearings. I was able to taxi the plane back to me even though the wood prop was missing a significant amount of wood (splintered).

Well I took it bac to the pit area andput a new prop on, started it back up, gave it full throttle, it rev'ed all the way up ran for a couple of seconds then the fractured bearings let loose and destroyed the engine.

All I canrelate it to is what happenes when you drop a ceramic plate on the ground, broken plate. Prop strike broken ceramic bearings.

Ceramic bearingare, IMO, better suited for RCcars, boats and ducted fan engines not propped RC planes where the force of a prop strike could and in my case did ruin the engine.

EscapeFlyer 12-08-2012 11:17 AM

Yeah.. I do not want to use ceramic bearings. But, I was wondering if the C61F has ceramic bearings. If so, they will be coming out... I am not finding info in search engines or the Novarossi website.

Brian

doxilia 12-08-2012 03:47 PM

Brian,

I would doubt that the older 2008 model would have ceramics. I think NR just recently introduced them into their engines, at least the aero engines.

Also, this model might be set for Speed F3D timing (~20K+) more so than for pattern. There is a good discussion on a German forum site.

There's also some basic info on RCU. There was a C60F which was a SE square engine with 0.609 sq in of displacement. The C61F had the same displacement but had short stroke geometry and spec of 2.45 hp@17.5K.

David

pitstop000 12-08-2012 04:21 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Hey Bryan, just wondering what brand of bearings were your ceramics?</font></p>

EscapeFlyer 12-08-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Brian,

I would doubt that the older 2008 model would have ceramics. I think NR just recently introduced them into their engines, at least the aero engines.

Also, this model might be set for Speed F3D timing (~20K+) more so than for pattern. There is a good discussion on a German forum site.

There's also some basic info on RCU. There was a C60F which was a SE square engine with 0.609 sq in of displacement. The C61F had the same displacement but had short stroke geometry and spec of 2.45 hp@17.5K.

David

Are you thinking This engine might not be a good match? That it may not work for the application I am using for?

I wish I was an engine guy...

Brian

Roguedog 12-08-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Hey Bryan, just wondering what brand of bearings were your ceramics?</font></p>
Boca Bearing andpaid a pretty peeny for them. Won't do that again.

I spent some time researching what would be the best bearings to get and after talking with several peoplehighcarbon steel ball bearingswould be best, but I don't know if they even make them for RC let along where to buy them.

So stainless is what I'm using now with shields to the crankcase on the inner bearing.

pitstop000 12-08-2012 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Hey Brian don't worry so much the NovaRossi C61F is just the old version; it will be fine for your Escape.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Do you have the engine on hand? </font></p>
Quote:

Are you thinking This engine might not be a good match? That it may not work for the application I am using for?

I wish I was an engine guy...

Brian

EscapeFlyer 12-08-2012 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul-

Yes I do. That would be the one. The next challenge for me will be to find someone that can do some custom work for me consisting of bending and welding. I need to get a higher rise fuse-top header. I am not sure what the stock header rise is, but it doesn't look like it will clear the fuse.

I haven't purchased a header yet.

Brian

Here is mine (your pics be the one I purchased):

SuperViking 12-09-2012 03:16 AM

MACS will do custom headers for around double what a standard cost just call and tell him what you want.

doxilia 12-09-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

I am not sure what the stock header rise is, but it doesn't look like it will clear the fuse.
Brian,

It doesn't have to but I'm pretty sure that's been discussed already.

I'm going to put either a Rossi or OPS into an Exception with their stock headers and they are not "high rise" headers. Provided cooling is adequate the rest is just a firewall/pipe floor geometry issue.

Take a look at many a RE Deception build (e.g., Kevin's or Jim Kimbro's) and you'll see that the header doesn't necessarily exit the top of the fuse. Some are even done with 15 degree straight headers (e.g., Bootlegger, Brushfire).

David

EscapeFlyer 12-10-2012 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I'll be all right.

I have been told that photos reveal I may have.... e'hem... Balls of Steel... (I know. That was really sad.)

:D

Brian

lfinney 12-10-2012 11:31 AM

nothing wrong with steel ones.....ever.....:)

doxilia 12-10-2012 11:56 AM

Brian,

as long as they rotate, you should be fine...:D

David