RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   What are your favorite maneuver(s)? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11379930-what-your-favorite-maneuver-s.html)

KLXMASTER14 01-22-2013 09:16 AM

What are your favorite maneuver(s)?

And why do they float your boat?

JCINTEXAS 01-22-2013 09:30 AM

RE: What are your favorite maneuver(s)?

The Cuban 8. I like the symmetry and gracefulness of this maneuver.
The Slow Horizontal Roll. I like the coordination of aileron, rudder, elevator.
The Four Point Roll. Same reason as above.
The Stall Turn. I like the timing and throttle management which are required to nail it.
JC

MTK 01-22-2013 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: KLXMASTER14

Figure M, 1/4 rolls....when I was at my first contest 30+ years ago, I saw the Masters guys doing this maneuver and remember thinking that's the one that tells you you've arrived

KLXMASTER14 01-22-2013 10:04 AM

Robert's favorite #1:

Three horizontal rolls. One of the "Meat and Potatoes" pattern maneuvers.

Looks easy, hard to do right, shines like a diamond when you nail it.

-Robert

JCINTEXAS 01-22-2013 10:21 AM

"Looks easy, hard to do right, shines like a diamond when you nail it."
You said it Robert....that's what it's like
Most maneuvers look easy...and they are easy to do sloppy...but hard to do right.
Every once in a while I will really nail one...just like it's supposed to be performed.
And when I do that...YES! it is a very satisfying feeling.
JC

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 01-22-2013 10:31 AM

Vertical 8. Still have yet to nail a perfect one.... :eek:

Jim Johns 01-22-2013 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: MTK

Figure M, 1/4 rolls....when I was at my first contest 30+ years ago, I saw the Masters guys doing this maneuver and remember thinking that's the one that tells you you've arrived
One of my favs as well. It's very pretty when it's done well.

AMA 74894 01-22-2013 01:21 PM

+1 for every one here so far :)
my personal favorites:
1) SLOW Horizontal roll (there is just something about the way that maneuver looks that still takes my breath away)
2) Reverse Outside Loop .... (I have a DIM recollection that the 'FAI Standard' version was begun high/straight and level and pushed down... NOT that version :) but my memory is not what it used to be :) )
and ditto for me, it seems just about ANY 'classic' pattern maneuver looks positively gorgeous when flown perfectly... and often looks as ugly as home made soap when not.

RonMcCormick 01-22-2013 03:24 PM

Super Slow Roll, something about watching a pilot do a perfect SSR that lets you know what else he can handle.

BullardRM 01-22-2013 03:51 PM

Anyone that I can get a 10 on. Still trying to find it too.

KLXMASTER14 01-22-2013 09:10 PM

Robert's favorite #2:

Square Horizontal Eight.
It's big. It's bold. And if you can make the squares square (not rectangles like mine usually are) then you are all that.

-Robert

turbo.gst 01-22-2013 10:31 PM

Favorite -Super Slow roll.

Second- Square Loop.

guille2006 01-23-2013 05:46 AM

Rolling circle!!!! one of the hardest to achieve!!!!

...and now I'm starting to bash those 3D guys... some time ago I bet one "cool and famous"3D pilot to perform this maneuver... he was pretty good making torque rolls and a million more maneuvers always hanging the plane from the propeller... well; the rolling circle was far out his capability and he had to recognise me how difficult was to flight "those smooth pattern" maneuvers...
BTW; he lost the bet but I invited the beers anyway; he deserved it for being a great guy too!!!

Cheers

crustychief 01-23-2013 08:48 AM

Spot landing. putting the plane exactly where you want it after a stable approach is awesome.

rgburrill 01-23-2013 09:10 AM

Any landing that doesn't damage my plane ;<) That way I can fly again.

geeter 01-23-2013 09:56 AM

flying inverted 10 ft off the ground, hovering with my twist four stroke. also cuban 8's and flying inverted and pushing it over the top to upright and lots of rolls and loops and free falls while doing spins on high rate. flat spins with my stryker too......................RON

AMA 74894 01-23-2013 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: geeter

free falls while doing spins on high rate. flat spins with my stryker too......................RON
What's a free fall, and what are 'high rates' ?? ... my Kraft Series 70 doesn't have that... :)
(kidding, of course :) )

KLXMASTER14 01-23-2013 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

ORIGINAL: geeter

free falls while doing spins on high rate. flat spins with my stryker too......................RON
What's a free fall, and what are 'high rates' ?? ... my Kraft Series 70 doesn't have that... :)
(kidding, of course :) )

"high rates" are what they charge downtown.................

dphill2 01-23-2013 05:43 PM

I enjoy the Horizontal Square 8 and a real long Slow Roll !!

Dave..

dphillips3 01-24-2013 04:59 PM

Figure M 1/2 rolls, Top Hat..... anything huge with a tuned pipe pulling it!!!!!

DP#3

Ron Stahl 01-24-2013 08:40 PM

One roll rolling circle. I pitted for Steve Stricker during his TOC days in the nineties and this separated the men from the boys even at that level.

KLXMASTER14 01-25-2013 07:40 AM

Although not a part of the (classic) pattern, well executed 1/2 reverse cuban eights used to turn the aircraft around shows a measure of pride of ownership in one's flying. It not only looks good, but it sets you bang on the heading for the next maneuver without any waddling around.

A lot of pilots just throw the hotdog down the hallway at the ends.

-Robert

MTK 01-25-2013 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

One roll rolling circle. I pitted for Steve Stricker during his TOC days in the nineties and this separated the men from the boys even at that level.
Hmmmmm!! Rollers are just too danged difficult to be favorites. They are nice maneuvers when expertly done but faves, No! And Stricker was good with them, but I'd bet if you asked him, he wouldn't say it was his fave

A super slow hor roll, horizon to horizon, I think yes

Horizontal Sq 8 is also another fave of mine to go with the Finger M

bjr_93tz 01-25-2013 07:29 PM

...Looks easy, hard to do right, shines like a diamond when you nail it....
Whether it be the 3 rolls Robert was refering to or something else, this hit's the nail right on the head.

Reminds me of the time I was doing consecutive rolls (~3sec/360deg) up and down the field and a bloke came up to me and asked if pattern ships needed down elevator when upside down during a roll like other planes do. With a satified grin I replied "Yep, and I'm using the rudder too you know" He was stunned and replied "I can't see you using the rudder" It's the best compliment you can get.

So I then showed him what they looked like without rudder, then without rudder and down elevator (mine needs it), and he realised there's a lot of work in flying pattern..

KLXMASTER14 11-13-2014 05:13 PM

Bump. Anyone have any new favorites?

Robert