RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   ys short stroke... finally (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11393697-ys-short-stroke-finally.html)

flywilly 02-01-2013 07:42 PM

ys short stroke... finally

http://mail.aol.com/37309-111/aol-6/...Saved&partId=3

Here's a photo that Rich Verano sent me a few weeks ago. He was initially disappointed in the engine's performance; so
he called YS and they sent him another engine along with the header and pipe set-up they were using and getting more than
1,200 rpm better than Rich was with the same APC 11x9 prop (YS was getting about 14,000 using 15% nitro fuel).
The package from YS arrived this week and Rich attached their header/pipe set-up to his (the original prototype engine)
and got similar rpms. Then he mounted it in his Escape (built by Joe Bridi himself) which he flew last year at Chip's CPA contest
with a rebuilt YS longstroke. The performance was significantly improved. He feels the engine is a real powerhouse and a definite
winner. He believes the engine should be available very soon (by YS standards - so hopefully by March).
By the way, the factory pipe setting was 1.5" shorter than the one rich originally used to test the engine. More testing with different
pipes, props, lengths should happen soon.
-Will

MTK 02-01-2013 08:26 PM

RE: ys short stroke... finally

ORIGINAL: flywilly

http://mail.aol.com/37309-111/aol-6/...d&partId=3

Here's a photo that Rich Verano sent me a few weeks ago. He was initially disappointed in the engine's performance; so
he called YS and they sent him another engine along with the header and pipe set-up they were using and getting more than
1,200 rpm better than Rich was with the same APC 11x9 prop (YS was getting about 14,000 using 15% nitro fuel).
The package from YS arrived this week and Rich attached their header/pipe set-up to his (the original prototype engine)
and got similar rpms. Then he mounted it in his Escape (built by Joe Bridi himself) which he flew last year at Chip's CPA contest
with a rebuilt YS longstroke. The performance was significantly improved. He feels the engine is a real powerhouse and a definite
winner. He believes the engine should be available very soon (by YS standards - so hopefully by March).
By the way, the factory pipe setting was 1.5" shorter than the one rich originally used to test the engine. More testing with different
pipes, props, lengths should happen soon.
-Will
I wonder if Rich used a bigger load like a 12x10 or 13x9 at the stretched setting, whether it would have turned the load..... 25 years ago we ran the short and the long stroke with stretched pipes and bigger loads than an 11x9. As I recall, my props of choice were 12x10 and 12x11 apc at around 12K? Or maybe a little lessrpm. Extremely quiet set-ups and with the lower rpm, frugal in fuel consumption

doxilia 02-02-2013 04:30 AM

Will,

Would you be able to post a picture on the forum? AOL is no good unless you have an account.

Cheers, David

FBaity 02-02-2013 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Will,

Would you be able to post a picture on the forum? AOL is no good unless you have an account.

Cheers, David

+ 1

flywilly 02-03-2013 03:28 PM

Sorry guys,
I still haven't figured out how to get the photo uploaded here, but I have good excuses: first, the motherboard on the laptop I have been using (a 7 year old eMachine) just died unexpectedly (ok, after 7 years maybe not that unexpected!). I was given an iPad for X-mas which I have only just started using (mostly to 'FaceTime' with my kids); so I thought I could use my wife' old Dell to move the picture and that has been a very frustrating exercise, too.
Anyway, the engine uses the long stroke case and head; so that's what it looks like externally. Internally, the crank pin placement has been changed (I assume the rod is shorter), I believe there are some porting changes and it is a ringed engine. According to Richard at YS USA, the YS factory has expended a lot of effort in perfecting ringed helicopter engines for power, reliability, durability and ease of operation. A nice benefit is that piston/sleeve maintenance is easier and cheaper with a simple ring replacement as opposed to replacing the entire piston/sleeve assembly (in most cases).
Richard was hoping to put a video up on youtube of the engine being run. I'll post a link here.
-Will

speed-panzer 02-03-2013 11:41 PM

Looking forward....
I always liked the ringed engines, too. Little bit more bulletproof. My old Webra Speed 61 ringed runs really very well.

Atlanta 60 02-04-2013 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: flywilly

Anyway, the engine uses the long stroke case and head; so that's what it looks like externally. Internally, the crank pin placement has been changed (I assume the rod is shorter), I believe there are some porting changes and it is a ringed engine.

-Will
So I wonder if YS would entertain another run of the Long Stroke engine??

Not trying to take away anything from the current short stroke efforts!! I think it's fantastic!! I'm glad it's happening!!

flywilly 02-04-2013 02:58 PM

Hi Chuck,
If this new YS is a good as it sounds (figuratively speaking as I haven't actually heard it run) then I'm sure it can be set up to run larger props without problem. The YS short-stroke provided plenty of power running 12x9 and 12x10 props for FAI pattern until the end of the '80s (Ivan Kristensen ran then very successfully in his Summit designs). Subsequently, the big 2-stroke engines like the OS 1.40, Webra 1.45 & 1.60 were all 'short-stroke' reigned engines.
When I get one I will test accordingly: props from 11x7 to 13x9.
- Will

pitstop000 02-06-2013 05:00 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Hey Will, let me help out with the pics of the new YS.</font></p>

flywilly 02-06-2013 05:26 PM

Thanks, Paul. ;)
Life is interfering with my pursuit of my favorite hobby...

PeterP 05-03-2013 01:38 AM

Where can I buy one of these engines. I still have my old Atlanta in the shed which I would like to fly again after 23 years.

auggie622 05-19-2013 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just took delivery of four (4) new YS61R classic pattern motors - very classic motors. Got these from a hobby store in Japan very close to the YS factory - new somebody who new somebody. . . . . . . . . . . . These motors are not yet in the US but I'm told sometime in the fall. Japan will be the first to get there quota first, than everybody else. I was just lucky to know the right person for the contact. Enjoy the pictures

Steven<br type="_moz" />

bjr_93tz 05-19-2013 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: auggie622

Just took delivery of four (4) new YS61R classic pattern motors - very classic motors. Got these from a hobby store in Japan very close to the YS factory - new somebody who new somebody. . . . . . . . . . . . These motors are not yet in the US but I'm told sometime in the fall. Japan will be the first to get there quota first, than everybody else. I was just lucky to know the right person for the contact. Enjoy the pictures

Steven<br type=''_moz'' />
Four YS61R's and a glass of white wine in the workshop. That's it, I'm moving to LA....

auggie622 05-19-2013 08:08 PM

Can't think of a better way to celebrate in acquiring these motors.

bjr_93tz 05-19-2013 10:38 PM

My history's pretty bad but I reckon the bloke that said it was better to give than receive, probably only had a loaf of bread and a fish (or knew sombody who did), and not four YS's ;)

jon bruml 05-20-2013 03:03 PM

Steven
One of those would look pretty good in my P8....i let you fly it

Jon

stuntflyr 05-20-2013 04:51 PM

I thought you were going electric on that, Jon?
Chris...

pitstop000 06-15-2013 09:34 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Verdana">Okay Guys, just an update . . . . . Time to put my YS Hat on!!!</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><font face="Verdana"></font></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font color="#0000ff" face="Verdana">http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25282151&amp;postcount=34</font><font face="Verdana"> </font></p>