RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Harry Brooks "Reb" Color Scheme (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/11591219-harry-brooks-reb-color-scheme.html)

Michaelj2k 12-08-2013 07:33 PM

Harry Brooks "Reb" Color Scheme

1 Attachment(s)
Harry Brooks flying his "Reb" design was the co-winner of he 1962 Internats competition in England. The win was shared with Tom Brett, flying his "Perigee". We all know about the Perigee but there's not much on the Reb. The March/April 1963 issue of American Modeler published an article and drawings but there are no details on how it was finished. I'm looking for any information on how Harry painted the plane.

pimmnz 12-08-2013 09:08 PM

I believe one of my old RCM&E's said it was red, white and black.
Evan.

RFJ 12-09-2013 04:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree with Evan. White base, red leading edges and fuselage top, blue flashes. Can't find any written proof but was probably same colors as UK flag.

Ray

eddiech 03-21-2015 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by RFJ (Post 11680603)
I agree with Evan. White base, red leading edges and fuselage top, blue flashes. Can't find any written proof but was probably same colors as UK flag.

Ray

I was the person that repaired and repainted the fuselage after Harry crashed it just before the world champs in 62. It was white background, BLACK wing le and RED flashes. It was a difficult repair since the underlying airframe was painted with sanding sealer and dope and the top coat was enamel. Not easy to put sanding sealer over enamel - it all wrinkled!
Eddie

bem 03-27-2015 12:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Captures from color video at WC 1962 below on Reb.

/Bo

Michaelj2k 03-30-2015 05:27 AM

Awesome! White with black and red it is. Now, one more question. the two pieces around the engine look to be simple sheet metal plates screwed into the firewall. Does that seem correct?

eddiech 03-30-2015 06:42 AM

The side bits were simple aluminium sheet screwed to the front side fuselage. They had what I think is called a "machine turned" finish on the outside. The were not plain but had swirls on the outside. They didn't do anything for the aerodynamics but they looked nice when you viewed the plane from the side. From what I can remember Harry didn't have them fitted for practice, probably so that he could fiddle with the engine easily! Also he had a K&B 45 when he first flew it. That was updated to a Merco 49 (No Merco 61 then) and for the champs he upgraded to McCoy 60 because the repairs that I did added weight and the Merco 49 wasn't powerful enough for pattern.
Eddie

Michaelj2k 04-01-2015 06:45 AM

Thanks Eddie. I have a Merco .49 available and with light construction and a modern radio, the ready to fly weight should be around 5 1/2 to 6 lbs.

eddiech 04-02-2015 06:53 AM

That is going to be a lot lighter than the original, so it should fly very well.
The original was built as light as we could get it using the softest lightest balsa that Harry could find. I think he went direct to Solarbo near Worthing and chose his own sheets from their massive stock. The radio was certainly much heavier. And the he used enamel paint of all things to finish it off - not sure how much that added to the weight especially when the wings were painted with it !!!!

Michaelj2k 03-17-2016 04:59 AM

It's been a year since this thread started but there's one question I didn't ask. Was the wing and stabilizer painted the same as the top sides?

Nevermind, I saw it in the posted pdf. :rolleyes:

eddiech 03-17-2016 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Michaelj2k (Post 12190647)
It's been a year since this thread started but there's one question I didn't ask. Was the wing and stabilizer painted the same as the top sides?

Nevermind, I saw it in the posted pdf. :rolleyes:

That is something that I cannot remember. However, in those days we all painted both sides of the wing & stab the same colours. So, I would assume that they were the same. Thinking about it, the red white and black scheme would have looked very odd if it were a different scheme underneath. The wing would still have had to be basically white, meaning that the red/white would have looked odd in a different pattern.
So, on balance, go for the same pattern.
Eddie