RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Curare 60 - Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/2282058-curare-60-build.html)

apalsson 10-24-2004 12:31 AM

Curare 60 - Build

Hi all,

I have now had the Curare 60 in a box for a couple of months, so I couldn't resist the temptation to start it.
I have to say that parts fit is better than I have seen in any kit and quality of materials is excellent.

Will post a few photos as I go.

Toying with what engine to use. Any suggestions?

impactiq 10-24-2004 10:05 AM

RE: Curare 60 - Build

Rossi 60-61, YS 60 side exhaust, Werbra 61.

apalsson 10-24-2004 12:53 PM

I'm not sure where I get these engines?
Who sells Rossi and Webra?

Ari

N1EDM 10-24-2004 07:33 PM

Is this a recent re-kitting of the Curare, or one of the vintage kits? I'm curious about how you came across it?

Thanks,

Bob

apalsson 10-24-2004 07:59 PM

HI Bob,

I bought the kit through Singapore Hobbies. MK seems to have started kitting some of their more popular planes again. The kit is exactly the same as the old one except some minor details.

Ari

N1EDM 10-24-2004 08:09 PM

Thanks, I'll look it up!

Bob

impactiq 10-24-2004 08:43 PM

Check here for the Rossi's : http://shop.vendio.com/rossienginesusa
This guy sells them on Ebay also. You can get them cheaper on there. I would go for the 32r60.

Click Here for the Webra: http://translate.google.com/translat...D%26safe%3Doff

Both engines require low nitro (5%). I would throw both of them on a tuned pipe to get the most out of them.

apalsson 10-24-2004 10:56 PM

Thanks for the links. I have e-mailed to both companies. Look forward to seeing what they come back with

Ari

apalsson 10-25-2004 01:01 PM

Impactiq,

Thanks again for the links. I have ordered a Rossi 60 and a pipe. $281 including priority shipping to Australia.
Rossi USA are very responsive and I had a shipping confirmation within hours from transferring payment to them.
Seems like excellent service

Ari

Horse Power? 10-25-2004 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are going to love the way the MK kit goes together. I built my Curare back in
1982 and It's still flying today. It's like an old friend, lost count of the number flights?
Power=OS .61 VF with Macs 8.5 pipe
B&D retracts

caf2461 10-25-2004 07:07 PM

Hoping to build my old Curare kit this winter. Was thinking about using a new OS 61 pumped side exhaust motor but now thinking of putting in my used os 61 rf rear exhaust motor after seeing your picture. Thoughts on either motor in this model with a tuned pipe? I'll be using spring air retracts.

impactiq 10-25-2004 08:11 PM

The 32r60 is a power house. It will fit the Curare perfect! Get us some pictures of the plane Ari. I like to see the old "go fast" style pattern planes.

Mark

apalsson 10-26-2004 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: impactiq

Get us some pictures of the plane Ari. I like to see the old "go fast" style pattern planes.

Mark
Mark,

I'll try to post some photos of the build on the weekend when I have the time

Ari

apalsson 11-11-2004 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of the Curare.
They have changes the flap control mechanism in a way that you now need to carve out for the torque rods if you want to use the original method. They have also changes the aileron servo setup into a two servo system. I am thinking about having a servo for each aileron underneath the wing and a similar system for the flaps.

Received the Rossi the other day. Just the same thing of beauty as they used to be!!

impactiq 11-11-2004 06:22 PM

Looking Good!!!!!![sm=thumbup.gif]

Agilefalcon 11-11-2004 07:41 PM

If anyone is interested:

I have a brand new, YS 60 rear exhaust short stroke. It has never been out of the box for anything other than to be looked at. I also have two headers to match it (also brand new and unused - Hatori).

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Chris.

8178 11-11-2004 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Here are some photos of the Curare.
They have changes the flap control mechanism in a way that you now need to carve out for the torque rods if you want to use the original method. They have also changes the aileron servo setup into a two servo system. I am thinking about having a servo for each aileron underneath the wing and a similar system for the flaps.

Received the Rossi the other day. Just the same thing of beauty as they used to be!!

Your building looks great! Unless I’m looking at the wing wrong, it looks like you might have the retract mount too far forward though. Shouldn’t the mount be further back to keep a little weight on the nose gear? I like to set it up so the aircraft can rotate easy but has a little weight on the nose gear. You can work this out on the plans by drawing a line from the lowest part of the lower tail forward to the bottom edge of the wheel. Then with a square check that the CG on the plan is just in front of the bottom contact point on the wheel.

N1EDM 11-11-2004 08:36 PM

Does anyone have a link for MK Airplane Kits? I'd like to see if anyone imports them into the USA.

Thanks,

Bob

impactiq 11-11-2004 09:39 PM

Agilefalcon-RCU, What are you looking to get out of the YS 60?

impactiq 11-11-2004 09:43 PM

Bob, The only place I know to get MK kits is here: http://www.singahobby.com/mkp03.html

MK

apalsson 11-12-2004 11:54 AM

Hi 8178,

The location of the retract mounts is where it's shown on the plans. There are plywood doublers that interlock with the spars and determine the location. I also thought of this as being far forward but decidd to use the location on the plans.

Regards

Ari

8178 11-12-2004 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Hi 8178,

The location of the retract mounts is where it's shown on the plans. There are plywood doublers that interlock with the spars and determine the location. I also thought of this as being far forward but decidd to use the location on the plans.

Regards

Ari

The main gear on my Tipo looks like it is further back but it might just be an optical illusion in your photo. If it helps any, the very outside edge of my retract unit is at a section of the wing that is 11 7/8” front to back. The center of the gear leg would be about 5 1/8” back from the leading edge at that point. The Tipo has an equal taper wing.

flywilly 11-12-2004 03:17 PM

Hey Bob,
you can also get MK kits from Japan (hobby-net), but the exchange rate is CONSIDERABLY more favorable from Singapore hobbies. I highly recommend them. I've bought at least 8 MK kits from them - say 'hi' to Frederick Yong (the proprietor).
By the way, you'll get your MK kit usually in 10-14 days from the time you order it (assuming it is in stock). They have had several out of production MK kits available, too.
Happy shopping :-)
-Will B.

apalsson 11-12-2004 03:27 PM

I whole heartedly second that!
They are excellent and Frederick is extremely helpful.
I paid a very reasonable price for my Curare and it included shipping too.
From Australia, you get your kits within 10 days or so from placing the order

Ari

N1EDM 11-12-2004 08:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that buying from Singapore Hobbies would be so easy. I'll look them up.

Thanks again.... hope that he publishes the price on his web site...

Bob