RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   MK "Magic" Plans... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/463463-mk-magic-plans.html)

Odin 01-06-2003 02:34 AM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Looking for a copy or Original plan sheet for an oldie but a goodie...The MK "Magic-60". The Original was Hanno Prettner's design if memory serves. I have a semi completed airframe but would like the plans to see what is going on under the skin. I will gladly pay any costs incurred for copying etc.

Thanks!

flywilly 01-10-2003 08:02 PM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Hey Odin,
Did you get a copy of the Magic plans. I have a NIB MK Magic kit; so I can copy the plans if you still need them.
-Will B.

Matt-RCU 01-10-2003 09:37 PM

MK "Magic" Plans...

GEEZ , lets start a Magic .60 forum.....I have 2 complete kits that I purchased 2 years ago....the first one is half done. Doing tri gear air retracts, Magnum .75 2 cyl, original Magic graphics...I can't wait to fly this one !

RC_Fanatic 01-11-2003 01:03 AM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Can one of you point me to some pictures of this "Magic"? Would like to see if it is the same Magic old pattern ship I'm buying. Does it have an inverted engine with the tuned pipe under the canopy? I'd also like to see the original graphics.

flywilly 01-11-2003 04:38 PM

MK "Magic" Plans...

http://www.singahobby.com/images/MK/magic60.jpg

Try this. There was a thread here a while back about the Magic which indicated tht it may not have been the best flying of Hanno's designs. I've never flown one (yet), but I think if you keep it light and have a computer radio any design anomalys can be programmed out. It is a great looking airplane.
-Will B.

Odin 01-13-2003 07:56 PM

Magic Plans!

Man! I really have to check back to this forum a bit more often! I never dreamed that anyone would even remember the Magic, much less have plans for this bird! Willy, I sent U an e-mail regarding the plans and YES I would definitely like a copy! TNX a bunch for the responses!

Matt-RCU 01-13-2003 08:36 PM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Like many of the other 80's pattern planes, the Magic is SWEET> Glass fuse, anhedral stab, super sharp looking.

Odin 01-14-2003 01:38 AM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Yup! Sharp piece of aircraft Matt! Mine Must be Pretty old though...Fuse and wing are all wood, built up construction except for the fiberglass canopy/turtledeck that extends almost to the tail and encloses the tuned pipe & the small cowl that covers the engine below the nose. I was lucky enough to get this plane complete with TWO Original Y.S. 60's with the machined aluminum throttle arms! I had a helluva time finding that funky Hatori header for the inverted engine though...Cannot wait to get it all glassed up and into the Wild Blue! :D

Matt-RCU 01-14-2003 01:21 PM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Hi Oden, mine was sold through Hobby Hangar or something like that back in the 80's....if you go through some of the old magazines you will see those ads......mine also has foam core wings and stabs.

flywilly 01-14-2003 02:58 PM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Hi guys,
2 different kits: The MK Magic was all wood except for the engine cowl and pipe cover on the fuselage top. The glass version was kitted by Quality Line kits (if memory serves) and distributed by Hobby Barn. The glass fuselages back than were pretty solid and didn't 'oilcan' anywhere near as much as modern glass fuslages, but they were pretty heavy. Now, composites are used to reinforce glass fuselages and keep the weight very low. I still prefer balsa. Building is much faster since the advent of CA type adhesives. Try building an all wood kit with white glue... been there, done that - never again :p
The old pattern ships sure flew well - love those horizon to horizon rolling maneuvers at 125 mph!!
Happy FLying,
Will

Odin 01-15-2003 02:51 PM

MK "Magic" Plans...

Wow! Didn't know anybody had kitted the Magic after MK. In any case Mine is the all wood version, light as a feather! I'll be glassing it over with TinLin's 3/4 oz cloth and Zap resin. I don't think the weight gain will be significant. As for the White glue, I too have "been there, done that, got the Danged Tee Shirt!" :D
White glue is NO fun when it comes to sheeting out a ribbed wing or planking a fuse! I always found that it was best to let the glue get REAL tacky before trying to wrestle the skin into place amidst all the Tee pins, tape, and home cast lead weights! An Ace bandage and ammonia always helped with the Fuse work too...Ah the Good Old days! Lets' not even get started on Ambroid, Tissue and Butyrate & Nitrate Dope!!!! I lost many a good brain cell to that stuff! :D :D :D

tconnell 11-23-2004 08:01 AM

RE: MK "Magic" Plans...

1 Attachment(s)
Fyl Willi and others. On another forum here yesterday I finally found that the plane I had been trying to get a handle on since trying to get back into the hobby was the Hobby Barn version of Hanno's Magic 60. This plane has the glas fuse and fin in one piece with a cowl piece of glas to cover the engine and a long cowl and pipe cover about the length of the top of the fuse.

I have asked FlyWilli for a copy of his plans also as I plan on putting this one in flying condition with a new OS Max .91 that I will pick up this afternoon. It's going to be fun getting back into all of this if my wife survives it all. She says that I am into my 5th childhood. I think it's wonderful! Here is my Magic 60 in it's 'raw' form now.

Tommy

Kevgofly 11-23-2004 11:25 AM

I had a Magic (glass fuse vesion) for a while. It was one of my all time favorite airplanes. Soem kind of failure (servo I think, been so long I'm not sure) straight down, wide open. It was a sad day for a 14 year old. Anyway, always wanted another one, just for nostalgia sake if notheing else. If anyone has an extra kit they would like to part with, let me know. Thanks to all who posted for this trip down memory lane. Anyone remeber the compensator?

Kevin

Deadstik 11-23-2004 05:26 PM

Will,

I bought the funky Hatori header YEARS ago but never got the KIT !!!... So if I could also trouble you for a set of plans, I would certainly appreciate it. Just email me w/cost and I'll get out a MO.... or if anybody has a kit????? let me know...

Thanks,

Dan

aka deadstik
Carolina Custom Aircraft.....

flywilly 11-23-2004 05:46 PM

Dan,
You might try Singapore hobbies (www.singahobby.com - I think). They may still have a kit. Otherwise I can send a copy of the plans. I won't be going to make copies until next week. Just let me know.
-Will

Deadstik 11-23-2004 06:47 PM

Will,

Thanks...whenever you get to the plans will be fine.....maybe I'll kit it.... huuummmmm....
Couldn't take but so long to make a plug could it?

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft

roncoleman 11-25-2004 05:57 AM

Sure would be nice if Hobby Barn was to bring back their old Quality Line kits for a short run, some outstanding birds in that line. Here's one for all you older Bro's. What does balsa wood, ambroid, monokote, and a heat gun equals to? A Fire Extinguisher!

552transco 11-27-2004 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
This thread brings back a lot of memories. I never got around to purchasing the Magic .60. I was flying .40 size aircraft when I first saw the Magic series. I purchased the Magic 40 sometime back in the early or mid 80's. I was kind of shocked when I first opened the box and discovered there was no instruction book. All they gave you was a box of balsa, with the exception of the fiberglass cowl and turtledeck, and a blueprint. I put it in the closest and never got around to building it. I still plan on putting it together someday as I still love the looks of it.
I have enclosed a picture of the kit and the OS .46 VF ABC (never been run) if your interested in seeing it.
Thanks for the memories Gents.

Wayne

dave.windymiller 02-20-2005 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its a bit late but for what its worth you can get the magic and curare plans from

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/pages/index.cgi This is the original RCM&E plan from the UK as marketed by nexus now.

Just enter the search curare or magic. I'm building a magic to complement my curare

Steve25 12-14-2005 08:40 PM

Hello,

Concerning the flying abilities/ or qualities, I can only say that I had a friend that has flown a Curare 40, Curare 60 , a Magic 60 and kinda of the same horse, I don't remember it's name quite well. The Magic seemed somewhat friendlier in flying then the Curare 60.
Unfortunatly, all those pretty machines were lost in a few weeks due to a defect chrystal.
As I'm talking about more then 20 years ago, there never was a computer-radio involved.
Even better, as now I do have a computer, I still fly my Curare 40 ( original MK kit ) with a 25 year old Sanwa set.
So, for none of these machines, you need any fancy gear !
At this point, I tracked down a original MK Magic 60 kit, and can get my hands on a NIB Yamada engine, so, prolly, in Feb. I will building the Curare's brother.

I simply love my Curare, but need to replace or renew the original:D .40 fsr engine, which delivers at this point nearly enough power to get lifted of a grass-runway.

roo 12-16-2005 10:22 AM

Hi all. The Magic was never the success that the Curare was. As someone who regarded Hanno as just short of God (still do), I was very dissappointed with mine. I never met anyone who liked their magic. All seemed to regret putting the time into it. No small wonder then that it earned the nickname "tragic". I suppose it all boiled down to trying to improve on what was already almost perfection for the then schedule, the Curare. I think Hanno,s next effort the very simple Calypso was the perfect way to demonstrate that in F3A its the pilot skill that counts in the end. I hope he is still keeping well,and on the offchance that he may read this, Happy christmas Hanno,the greatest. Paul Brennan.

Steve25 12-16-2005 10:46 AM

Hello Roo , Brennan,

As I'm a fan off the Curare, I have now a Curare .40, that I use as my std machine, I'm going to build myself it's smaller brother, the Curare .20. I canget my hands on decents copied kits, at a very reasonable price. As a next horse, I will be making me a Magic .60, with a .61 Yamada engine, with rear output and original pipe.
As a next project, I surely will start with a Curare .60 , prolly with an old .61 fsr ABC, if I canget my hands on spareparts, or a SF that I have spare , after crashing a Zlin Z50L, due to an aileron that came loose.
As far as I hear about Hanno, he is still flying, but since he made a fall, and hurted his neck, he can't compete anymore. Again, these are rumours I hear.

What I like about Hanno's models ? The way they fly and look. If I see how my Curare ( no flaps ) comes in, and compare that to the models ( 3d )these days ....
The magic I knew about flew very well, but was destroyed after a 90° dive from several 100 meters at full throttle, due to a defect chrystal.

best ragards from Belgium,

Steven

aerowiz 12-19-2005 05:15 PM

hi all,

i started pattern with a great planes ultrasport, bought a 60 sized magic hoping it would be a good aircraft to progress into . it had an os 61 hanno engine with the hanno pipe. mk retracts and i built it as light as i could.

i cant say that i ever liked flying it that much, it was not a good pattern plane! there are so many good planes out there these days i dont know why anyone would take a 3 decade step backwards?

long live aerobatic flying and i hope they make the weight limit 6 kg so i can burn cheap gas instead of petrol.

aerowiz

Steve25 12-19-2005 08:55 PM

Hello Aerowiz,

I can't say much about how it behaved, I never have flown one. I only saw it fly, and it was great. One of my friends, who was a beginner ( with a Graupner Taxi ) those days, had to take over a Magic 60, because the pilot got attacked by a crazy one, and needed a change to defend himself, anyway, the beginner said the airplane bahaved WEW ! ( His words )
Until now, except the indoors, I never flew a new one, certainly not an aerobic plane, but most of the people at our club do fly them, and they seem so easy to handle, that I put them on the same level as a depron indoor. There is only one patern flyer in our club that flies in the nationals and prolly on lever to start entering international competition, seeing to the ranking.
He flies a new thing, but even when he's younger, he likes to see me flying the Curare. The only nasty thing I see in front is starting problems because the engine is upside down.
Maybe the pumped Yamada does better then the std OS engines ( like in my Zlin ).

Choosing out of all my airplanes, I like my Curare and my Phantom most, so as the Magic flies like the Curare, I will be happy having three workhorses, while I want to use the Curare less to spare it ( original OLD MK kit ). That's why I'm building the .20 :)

I'm not a real patternflier, just making fun trying some manouvers now and then, I'm more keen on it's flying image, and the way you have to handle it. Like it always need speed , even at approach.

Greetz,

Steven

dave.windymiller 10-16-2006 06:48 PM

Hi Again

My magic is nearing completion, built from an RCM&E plan (UK Magazine) out of good old fashioned balsa! Does anyone out there have a copy of the article that went with the plan please?

Cheers
Dave