RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Peppermint Pattie (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/5532053-peppermint-pattie.html)

rainedave 03-08-2007 07:58 PM

Peppermint Pattie

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone have plans for this design? Was it even published in a magazine? All I know is that it was designed by Nick Damuck and was kitted by Master Kits. I've read posts from someone around here who had one, but can't remember who it is.

Jim_Purcha 03-08-2007 08:44 PM

RE: Peppermint Pattie

Dave it was in rc sportsman magazine, March 1978. I just got a pile of these back in the fall from someone off of ebay. The plans are full scale, on two 14X22 (? size). I can try to scan tomorrow and email a copy to you.

Jim

rainedave 03-08-2007 10:28 PM

Thanks, Jim! That would be great. I like these smaller .15 size models that fit in the back seat and don't cost a lot to build. Besides, this one looks nice and fast. I'd like to put one of those K&B 3.5 RE's in one.

RCBuilder42yrs 03-09-2007 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David,

I was looking at this one just the other night since it will go up to .19 and I still have a Webra .20 speed so figure it would be a good one. These are still being sold by RCM plans service .

Looks very simular to Peppermint Pattie IMHO.

HTH

proptop 03-09-2007 04:05 AM

Peppermint Pattie...that's a cool little airplane...I built one in the early 80's with a Cox Conquest .15 in it.
It reminds me of a scaled down Banshee...(doesn't it?[8D])

WEDJ 03-09-2007 01:11 PM

Nice to see that guys still like my design. :D Call me at work if you want 866-289-2899

Nic Damuck

rainedave 03-09-2007 01:19 PM

Wow. Thanks for posting, Nic! Your design has everything going for it. Beautiful plane. I'll have to build one.

Is the one in the photo I posted one that you built? It's hard to tell, but the slanted glow plug makes me think that might be a Fox .15 in the nose. I have the c/l version of that engine.

David

bob27s 03-09-2007 04:35 PM

I seem to recall Nick also built a 60 size version - Id really have to dig in to the shoeboxes - might have a photo of it. Was longggggg ago :)

flywilly 03-09-2007 04:46 PM

You're right, Bob.
I saw Nick fly it many times on the contest circuit in the Northeast back in the early 80's. I seem to remember Nick using the PP to demonstrate the 'NEW' turnaround pattern at the Bridgewater,CT contest (at the Sikorsky airport) in 1983.
Nick, are you still flying pattern??
Will B.

aerowoof 03-09-2007 11:02 PM

I have this kit but was relunctant to build it because it has no wheels

rainedave 03-09-2007 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
aerowoof, I do a lot of flying with models that don't have landing gear. I've never considered that to be a concern, although these planes I'm belly landing are small and all under 1 1/2lbs.

FWIW, the Peppermint Pattie plans show an optional Belly Wheel. At 44" span and todays radio gear (I'd use HS-81 servos) I bet it can be built at around 2lbs.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you should build it!:D

David

bob27s 03-12-2007 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: flywilly

You're right, Bob.
I saw Nick fly it many times on the contest circuit in the Northeast back in the early 80's. I seem to remember Nick using the PP to demonstrate the 'NEW' turnaround pattern at the Bridgewater,CT contest (at the Sikorsky airport) in 1983.
Nick, are you still flying pattern??
Will B.
Main thing that seems to stick in my mind of the big pattie was that he had one of the original "magic mufflers" on it.. plane was quick, but it had that distinctive buzzzzzzzz muffler sound to it

roncoleman 03-12-2007 02:42 PM

I picked up this kit about two years ago after about two years of trying on ebay.
It's a nice looking plane and as David stated with todays radio equipment (and
engines) adding landing gear (maybe even a small set of retract) shouldn't be a
real problem. I'm thinking about adding some type of L/gear myself and use a
MDS 18 or a FP 20-25 for power. With HS-81 servos and a Berg receiver should
make for a light and fast plane.

alcarafa 03-12-2007 05:57 PM

Hi Dave:
I ' ve sent two e-mail's to you, did you get them?

regards .
Rafa

Mad Man Marko-RCU 03-12-2007 09:08 PM

Hi Dave:
Used to fly with Nick Damuck at Windingbrook R/C in Rocky Hill, CT. He did in fact have a Magic Muffler style on the big Pattie. It had that Moose Can sound to it. I do have an original set of 15 size PP plans down on the shelf with Nick's business card still attached. He had them in several sizes. I believe that he did a 40 size also for himself. They always had that wild stripe paint scheme. The Patties would do wild long knife edges and always made alot of air noise coming off the rudder. A fun plane and a Good Guy to fly with. Nick came out to the R/C Propbusters field in Salem, CT last year or fall 2005 and brought the little Pattie with him. Still a head turner and good flying design and he never had a problem with the belly landings. I bet it would make a good electric if you lightened it up a bit and put a good outrunner onboard.

Peace

Mark O
:D:D:D

WEDJ 03-13-2007 09:09 AM

Wow, such nice compliments!

A couple of people have asked for plans, I'll hunt around the basement and bring them to Staples and then post a cost for those interested.

Yes, I used the Magic Muffler, it was basically a tuned pipe that was turned in on itself to save space. Yes, I also made a .40 size, but I didn't like the way it flew.

I'm a member of the Salem R/C Propbusters now, but don't get out much.

WEDJ 03-13-2007 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Wow. Thanks for posting, Nic! Your design has everything going for it. Beautiful plane. I'll have to build one.

Is the one in the photo I posted one that you built? It's hard to tell, but the slanted glow plug makes me think that might be a Fox .15 in the nose. I have the c/l version of that engine.

David
Hi Dave,

Yes, I built that one, yes it had a Fox .15 in it.

bob27s 03-13-2007 10:25 AM

Nice to see you on here Nick...

What is sad, is I remember clearly Nicks big Patti, paint job, engine, muffler - but I cant for the life of me remember the name of the guy who called me on the phone 20 minutes ago....

(I am from Long Island originally... flew the NewEngland/NY/NJ/PA pattern circuit for a bunch of years)

mmattockx 03-13-2007 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: bob27s

What is sad, is I remember clearly Nicks big Patti, paint job, engine, muffler - but I cant for the life of me remember the name of the guy who called me on the phone 20 minutes ago....
Nothing serious, Bob. That's just old-timer's disease setting in...:):D

Mark

rainedave 03-13-2007 11:28 AM

Darn! I know I was going to post something.

Oh yeah, ... wait...

WEDJ 03-13-2007 01:26 PM

Two elderly ladies had been friends for many decades. Over the years, they had shared all kinds of activities and adventures. Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a week to play cards. One day, they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, "Now don't get mad at me .. I know we've been friends for a long time, but I just can't think of your name! I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell me what your name is."

Her friend glared at her. For at least three minutes she just stared and glared at her. Finally she said, "How soon do you need to know?"

NM2K 03-13-2007 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: roncoleman

I picked up this kit about two years ago after about two years of trying on ebay.
It's a nice looking plane and as David stated with todays radio equipment (and
engines) adding landing gear (maybe even a small set of retract) shouldn't be a
real problem. I'm thinking about adding some type of L/gear myself and use a
MDS 18 or a FP 20-25 for power. With HS-81 servos and a Berg receiver should
make for a light and fast plane.

-------------

Mine was absolutely a handful to keep up with using a mere HB .15 (more powerful than a G20/15 ST) on the nose. I used to blow past piped .60 pattern ships at a good clip. My fellow pattern pilots used to smile ear-to-ear when that little rascal would pass their honking ballistic pattern rigs. It was difficult to keep within visual range. My vision wasn't bad at all in those days.

A slightly larger PP utilizing a modern .30 four-stroke would have been absolutely perfect.

The lack of landing gear never was really a problem. While I would get my good friend Jim Emmons to launch for me when he was available, I could do it myself when I had to do so.

I would pay $100 for a good PP kit today. I'll worry about keeping it in view later. <G>

Ed Cregger

mmattockx 03-13-2007 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

I would pay $100 for a good PP kit today. I'll worry about keeping it in view later. <G>

Ed Cregger

Ed,

If/when I get to building one, how about I cut 2 of everything and sell you those parts?:D

Mark

roncoleman 03-13-2007 05:39 PM

Ed

This kit has always went for big bucks that's why it took me two years to get
one. I paid good money for the one I have but nowhere near a $100. I was going
to make you the same offer as mmattockx but I see he has you covered. As for
the power I was only thinking large (I still remember those OS 25 FSR powered
Sig Wonder days). I fly in the desert so for me landing gear would help the plane
and engine last a longer.

Ron

NM2K 03-14-2007 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Nice to see you on here Nick...

(I am from Long Island originally... flew the NewEngland/NY/NJ/PA pattern circuit for a bunch of years)

---------------

I know what you mean, Bob. I was telling what's-his-name, oh, yeah, the Doc, yesterday, about having the same problem. He just smiled. He's about my age, from what I can tell (60). Maybe he forgot what we were talking about and was just smiling - as I do sometimes when I have forgotten what I was talking about. I usually add some nods, though. He didn't. Or at least I don't think he did. I forget.

Now I'm beginning to get the old things mixed up. My wife tells me that it has been happening for much longer than I realize. I guess it is time to let the young'uns have the glory. I always wondered why the old guys just stood there smiling and nodding their heads. Soon I'll probably forget that too. Isn't life - uh - what was I saying? <G>

Ed Cregger