RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   MK Arrow (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/6325207-mk-arrow.html)

Frisko 09-04-2007 03:44 AM

MK Arrow

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
does someone remember the MK Arrow from Matt?
I was lucky that I could buy such a kit, complete and untouched.
Has anyone an idea what this is worth these days? Not that I'm selling it again, just curious.

HankScorpio 09-04-2007 05:55 AM

RE: MK Arrow

An MK kit of a world championship winning plane - there's nothing like it. I just wish MK will rekit the Curare, again!

Frisko 09-04-2007 07:53 AM

they still produce and sell the Currare 60...
http://www.singahobby.com/mkp03.html
http://www.singahobby.com/images/MK/curare60.jpg

daggets 09-04-2007 07:57 AM

i did ask 3 month ago, they said no more...i ve build one from the ppljr plans... wich are perfect...

JCINTEXAS 09-04-2007 08:34 AM

I saw Wolfgang fly his Arrow at the TOC way back in the 70's. The Arrow wasn't yet available as a kit, so I built the closest thing to it...the Atlas which was the forerunner of the Arrow. The Atlas was the best all-around 60-sized patter plane I ever flew. If anyone knows where a kit or plans are available for either the Arrow or the Atlas, please post the information in this Forum. Ford was smart enough to bring back the Mustang and sales have been great. Somebody should bring back the Atlas and/or Arrow. With today's hightech fiberglass technology it could be built lighter than those of years ago.
Wolfgang Matt with his Atlas at TOC.
http://www.matt-rc.li/deutsch/modell...es/atlas_g.jpg Best Regards
JC

cllaurit 09-04-2007 08:55 AM

Got a love the bad Vegas carpet!

matt13 09-04-2007 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I still have a mould for the Arrow 60 that my friend and I made by copying our kits before we built them. Looking back we souldn't have copied someone elses work but there you go. I have one fueslarge that is unbuilt and it weighed a bit more than one for a 2mtr fues I have. So you are right we have come a long way and now you could probaily pull a fues out of the mould that is half the weight knowing some of the latest techniques that are used now.

flywilly 09-04-2007 03:57 PM

Model Airplane News published the plans for both the ATlas and the Arrow. I built 2 Arrows from those plans - flew great. Unlike the MK kit which all balsa, the MAN plans showed foam horizontal surfaces. I still have an MK Arrow kit which I will build eventually. Another great pattern ship!
-Will B.
PS MK hasn't kitted the CUrare in about 3 years and I think most of SIngapore hobbbies Curare kits ended up here in the USA :D

pimmnz 09-04-2007 11:57 PM

And the RCM&E website has a link to their plans dept. where the all wood Atlas plans can be ordered.
Evan.

RFJ 09-05-2007 03:19 AM

pimmnz,

Don't think RCM&E can supply the original Atlas plan anymore, just the small 40 powered version.

Although not shown on their site, it may be available from "X-list" as RC1283. It was mentioned in their original printed catalogue.

Ray

somiss1 09-06-2007 07:58 AM

I had the MK Arrow; MK Arrow 40 and the FK fibreglass and foam kit of the Arrow 60. All were superb flyers. I used Superigre RE 60's in all of the 60 sized ships and a ST RE .45 and really enjoyed them.
Frank

bentwings 09-09-2007 09:56 AM

I had MK Arrows back when they were the thing. They flew great but not the same as the Dirdy Birdy. I just never could get the Arrow to be as smooth as the DB and UFO. The Arrow flew very well when it was windy. I think the covered pipe helped that. I made FG canopys for the DB and UFO to cover the pipe and they flew better in the wind this way.

There was nothing wrong with the Arrow but I just couldn't transition to it for some reason. I still like the plane and would build more given the chance.

jnhiller 09-12-2007 12:04 PM

I flew scratch built foam core copies of the Arrow in pre-turnaround competition with OS-VF's. I don't know if anyone has plans available but I still have an original un-cut multi language drawing from Kato Model Aircraft Co., Ltd. which came in my first Arrow kit. Prior to flying Arrows I flew a Rhett Miller designed Compensator by Southern Model Products and I have the original drawings for it as well. I also have two OS-VF's with "M" carburetors rebuilt and back in their boxes.
Thanks for the memories.

BTerry 09-12-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

If anyone knows where a kit or plans are available for either the Arrow or the Atlas, please post the information in this Forum. Best Regards
JC
William at Coos Bay Lumber is developing a short kit for the Atlas. He already has a Curare short kit available. Check it out [link=http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/beaver.htm]HERE[/link].

TooBizzy 10-18-2008 11:31 AM

I just happened upon this thread and thought I would post. I still have a MK Arrow 60 that I built back in the early 80's. It was one of the all hardwood-balsa kits. The only FG part on the plane was the canopy. As I remember it took me a few years to complete as it was not a simple kit to build.

I had just learned how to fly a Sig Cadet and bought this ship! Flew it once, managed to get it down in one piece and never flew it again. I have stored it and it is in perfect condition. I plan on restoring it this winter and put it back in the air next summer.

I had installed Rhom Air Retracts in it and they apear to still be functional. Will need to check O-Rings and relace all the air tubing. If you touch the tubing, it breaks like spegetti! It will be fun trying to get it all restrung into the wells in the wings.... It still has the original radio gear installed. (World Engines Expert!) That all will need to be replaced as I would not trust it after all these years. I can't remember what engine I put on it. It was a 60 or 61 rear exhaust. It turns over really tight, so it will have to be taken apart and checked. Hopefy all has survived after all these years...

I also still have the original plans. They are still in one piece, but show their age. I work where they have a large print scanner and plan on making an electronic copy of them. Hopefully will be able to post it here. Will also post pictures of my Arrow soon when I have time.

I'm glad I happenend upon this thread. It has given me the shot in the arm I need to get this beauty back in the air where it belongs.

dhal22 10-18-2008 04:38 PM

i would love a copy of the plans.

david

anuthabubba 10-18-2008 04:44 PM

TooBizzy,

I recently acquired an FK Arcomaster copy of the Arrow. It has presheeted wing/stab with a f/g fuse that has all the formers/pipe deck/firewall installed. Plan to put a NIB piped, rear exhaust Webra Speed in it. Looks like it will build into a pretty nice model. I'll be watching for your pics.

Terry in LP

TooBizzy 10-19-2008 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of my MK Arrow 60 and one of the plans. The plans are so fragile, it is hard to unfold them without tearing the paper. They are close to 30 years old! I'm going to tape it up from behind and try to get it scanned soon. Will post it later.

This was only the second plane I had built when I started into the hobby. So, looking back on it all, I'm surprised I did this good on it! I was also looking at the World Engines Expert radio gear I had installed. Still have the manual! It has s-25-x servos and the manual states them as being "High Torque"....33 oz's! Wow we've come a long way!

I remember the fuse being very difficult to build. It was just a bunch of rectangular blocks of balsa and hardwood glued together that didn't even resemble a fuse. Then you had to sand it all down to form the shape....Very time consuming......I also remember when I sheeted the wings, I used a Yellow Wood Glue and put it on all the rib edges. I then painted on a coat of glue on the sheets where they would come into contact with the ribs. I let it all dry. Then I used a hot iron to bond the sheets to the ribs...Did I say something like "Very time consuming"! I'm not retired yet, so I will save this type of build for then. For now, its ARF!!!!!

Hope you enjoy the pics. Will try to get the plans scanned and uploaded this week. Will also keep you updated on the rebuild.....

TooBizzy 03-06-2012 06:55 PM

Ok, So I know its been more than a week since I promised to post scanned copies of the MK Arrow plans....Got an email from a member here wanting me to follow thru! So here are the plans...They were so fragile they can not be ran thru the scanner again.

http://bcoweb.com/photos/Mk_Arrow_Lo_Res.pdf

http://bcoweb.com/photos/Mk_Arrow_Hi_Res.pdf

The files above are the same, only one is Lo Res, the other Hi Res Color....About 2 megs and 41 megs....

The Mk Arrow is still in the hanger! Haven't had time to get it out and put new electronics in it. I wished life wern't so bizzy!

bob mann 07-03-2012 08:45 PM

I also seen him fly in 77 at the toc. what a plane, but his buddy flying the carrare was something else to see.....