RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Ed Kazmirski's Taurus (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/7658513-ed-kazmirskis-taurus.html)

RCDENT 06-25-2008 05:37 AM

Ed Kazmirski's Taurus

Worth a few looks whether you bid or not.

Check out Kazmirski Taurus on Ebay

WEDJ 06-25-2008 08:59 AM

RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

Wow, a true piece of history. It should go in the AMA museum.

cllaurit 06-25-2008 09:14 AM

Yes it should

RCDENT 06-25-2008 08:44 PM

I agree!

8178 06-25-2008 08:53 PM

It only sold for $2,940. That doesn’t seem like much for such a historic aircraft.

airbusdrvr 06-25-2008 09:07 PM

If it has closed, what is the link to the item?

8178 06-25-2008 09:22 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012

turbo.gst 06-25-2008 10:59 PM

Thanks for the link 8178. The plane is in amazing condition. I can only imagine how good it looked new. WOW!

pimmnz 06-26-2008 12:27 AM

I believe the VR/CS guys banded together and made sure that it would not go to a 'collector' and will end up in the AMA museum.
Evan.

RFJ 06-26-2008 06:13 AM

Good to hear that it is going to the AMA Museum where, of course, it belongs.

Thanks to the ad I now have eighteen detail photographs to help me when I get round to finishing my version.

Ray

kingaltair 06-26-2008 03:47 PM

Evan;

We couldn't risk you taking the plane off to New Zealand;)

I was one of the organizers of the effort to secure the original Taurus for VR/CS and ultimately the museum. Many of us felt the Taurus was the single most important model, (certainly pattern plane), ever designed and flown. It was the first "modern" pattern plane, and still flys great. A Taurus replica kit is still sold world-wide and is very popular. We felt the Taurus was too important an aircraft not to be included in the Muncie collection. The museum recognized the significance of the original 1962 Nats winner and world traveler. Ed toured in the mid 60s with that same Taurus, putting on many demonstrations of R/C precision aerobatics to delighted audiences. The museum approved the acquisition of the Taurus in a very short time, in spite of the fact that another Top Flite Taurus is currently on display there.

Getting back to the auction, there WAS a mystery bidder[8D] who apparently was not from VR/CS, (because he didn't identify himself). We knew whoever he was, he was the one to beat. The bid of $1800 held in there until the last few seconds because the bidding total went right from $1800 to $2940 as the clock ran out. We were prepared to go higher if need be, but it was not necessary.

The plan is for the Taurus to be cleaned up by the VR/CS historian Beppe F, (can't remember the spelling of his last name), who has offered to supply a vintage Veco 45, (same as the original), and perhaps Orbit radio. There WAS some discussion, (or minor controversey), about whether of not the new owner, or VR/CS should attempt to fly the original Taurus or not. It was soon agreed upon among those who pledged that no matter how great the temptation, (and it IS a great temptation):eek:, we simply can't risk a 46+ year old classic aircraft to the uncertainties associated with flying, (and landing) the model.

The Taurus WILL tour various VR/CS events, (perhaps others), :D for people to see and photograph before being preserved long-term in the museum. The good thing about this arrangement is that interested modelers will get a chance to see the original Taurus in a real contest setting "up close and personal". It will bring the plane to where the people are. If we are careful and responsible, the plane will not come to any harm while it's on tour. Another reason it seems proper to tour and display the Taurus is that, (as great as the AMA museum is), it is still a museum. Once the plane is nestled into the rafters, it can only be seen by looking up at it from a certain angle, and it certainly can't be examined up close.

The AMA Museum is ultimately where Ed's Taurus belongs however. It will always be there for people to make plans to visit when they are in the area. It should NEVER reside, (in the words of one VR/CS member) "in some collector's basement".

We wanted to make sure it will someday belong to the modeling public, (AMA members). The sentiment on this thread is the same. There is something within us that tells us the museum is the rightful place for such an important trend-setting model.

Duane

8178 06-26-2008 04:03 PM

That is absolutely wonderful!!!

Taurus Flyer 06-26-2008 04:49 PM

I am happy with the pictures of the details of the orginal Taurus and that I know that it is in the right hands and on the right place.
Thanks for you all doing this Duane.

Cees Wester

WEDJ 06-26-2008 04:54 PM

I am so delighted. Like many others, the Taurus I built in the late 60's started my lifelong admiration and love of pattern flying.

RFJ 06-26-2008 06:20 PM

there WAS a mystery bidder who apparently was not from VR/CS, (because he didn't identify himself). We knew whoever he was, he was the one to beat.
I would be interested to know who and why. It seems to me that any true aeromodeller with a love of the hobby and a knowledge and appreciation of the history of pattern flying would agree that this historic model should be on display at the AMA museum for all to see and admire. If this was not the mystery bidders intention then he should have a serious think about the result of his selfish actions in forcing up the price for no good reason.

I have mixed feelings about touring the model around but appreciate the reasons for doing so. Under no circumstances should the model be flown again.

By way of a thank you I have (re)joined the VR/CS today.

Ray

rcacro 06-26-2008 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of Ed, taken I think about 1960. This picture was taken at a contest near Detroit. Maybe someone can identify some of the autos in the background to determine the date. The engine in this particular model looks like a K&B probably the 45 which was in common use during that period.
The quality of the picture is not too good since it was taken from a proof sheet.

John Wisniewski
Scotttsdale, Az

pimmnz 06-27-2008 12:37 AM

Won't be a K&B, too early for that. It's Ed and his Orion, of course, probably a Veco .35/45 and it looks like one of the Orions he took to the 1960 worlds.
Evan.

HighPlains 06-27-2008 12:46 AM

interested to know who and why
Someone had a Yen to see it in their collection.

RFJ 06-27-2008 04:10 AM

Someone had a Yen to see it in their collection
Well if that's true thank goodness for the VR/CS. Japan is the last place the model should be.

Ray

Atlanta 60 06-27-2008 05:48 AM

Congrats on keeping this piece of history where it belongs!!

Thank You..

Chuck

Michaelj2k 06-27-2008 05:50 AM

ORIGINAL: RFJ

Someone had a Yen to see it in their collection
Well if that's true thank goodness for the VR/CS. Japan is the last place the model should be.

Ray
Yes, there is a collector in Japan who is very serious about acquiring vintage radios, engines and airplanes. He has an agent working on his behalf to purchase items from whatever the source for his collection. I've had some communications with his agent in the past and can say that he is a very nice fellow to chat with and has an equal interest in vintage RC items. I've done some searching on the web and have found some pictorials on some of the items he has acquired.

Right now, there is an immaculate vintage complete Sampey 404 on Fleecebay. Maybe this one will be heading west, maybe not.

kingaltair 06-27-2008 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: RFJ

there WAS a mystery bidder who apparently was not from VR/CS, (because he didn't identify himself). We knew whoever he was, he was the one to beat.
I would be interested to know who and why. It seems to me that any true aeromodeller with a love of the hobby and a knowledge and appreciation of the history of pattern flying would agree that this historic model should be on display at the AMA museum for all to see and admire. If this was not the mystery bidders intention then he should have a serious think about the result of his selfish actions in forcing up the price for no good reason.

I have mixed feelings about touring the model around but appreciate the reasons for doing so. Under no circumstances should the model be flown again.

Ray
All out ideas here in the states are not necessarily shared by those overseas. Here is an edited report from out VR/CS treasurer that answers that question:

"...Shortly after the auction closed I received a note from the second highest bidder congratulating me on the win...He is from Japan!!! If we had not won, the plane surely would have been lost for good. Great job guys, This surely would not have happened if not for the interest and cooperation of all the members who felt it was necessary to save this treasure. Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!!! We did it!..."

WEDJ 06-27-2008 07:22 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: RFJ

Ray
Good idea. I'll do that, too.

Free Bird 06-27-2008 10:41 AM

I too, like RJF and WEDJ am going to re-enlist VR/CS. Outstanding job boys! I look forward seeing the Taurus at an event later this year.

FB

RFJ 06-27-2008 11:58 AM

Well done FB & WEDJ. I always thought it a pity that the SPA and the VR/CS could not combine into one organisation. I had some interesting e-mail discussions with Art Schroder about this years ago but nothing happened. He considered the SPA southern based and the VR/CS mainly a northern operation.

Sounds as if the US is a bit like Ireland in this respect - different sorta folks North & South who get on fine but like to do things their own way.

Ray