RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9127034-scoop-hangar-9-phoenix-7-arf.html)

BERUSTY 09-27-2009 08:25 AM

Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

Exclusive Scoop from the Classic Pattern-Trader:

Friday September 25, 2009
Muncie, Indiana

Mike McConville, Horizon Hobbies Aircraft Development Team, debuted the new "Phoenix 7" from Hanger 9. The Phoenix 7, designed by Don Lowe in the early 70's, represents one of the finest pattern designs from the classic pattern era. Don Lowe, provided an original fuselage for the mold and was involved in the creation of this very special almost ready to fly offering.

Basic details:

- 100% accurate glass fuselage pre-painted using a base coat clear coat fuel proof paint.
- Built up and sheeted wing and stabilizer.
- Plug-in stab to be glued during construction.
- Retract ready (Robart spring down) fixed gear components included which fit into retract mounting holes.
- Engine cut-out completed.
- New Evo-lution .60 short stroke engine developed for airplane as well. (very powerful with Mac's O.S. .61 pre-tuned package)
- Ultracote covering
- Standard servos (prototype used JR 821's thrroughout)
- Includes all hardware
- All surfaces are hinged and glued and elevator/aileron gaps pre sealed with Ultracote!
- Special Mark Radcliff 1977/1979 World Championship color scheme.
- Don Lowe signature decal included!
- Target weight is 7.5 - 8 pounds RTF.

The model Mike brought is the 2nd prototype...it was absolutely AWESOME!!! The model tracked, grooved and the Evolution .60 and pipe was a perfect combination. Mike used an APC prop...the sound was cool also.

The model will be available in 2010 with price and release date to be determined.

Rusty Dose
Editor Classic Pattern-Trader
Team Futaba

pitstop000 09-27-2009 09:35 AM

RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

Wow!!!

I guess the big manufacturers are paying attention to us.

The prototype looks great ! I like how it’s packaged.

This is great news.

grcourtney 09-27-2009 10:35 AM

Known about it for some time Rusty!!!!!!!!!!!! But wuz asked to keep it on the down low.... Glad to see it out of the skunk works....

nice looking Mike M..

Good to see Don Lowe's design on the come back...

gary

BTerry 09-27-2009 10:39 AM

Let me see. Is today April Fools Day? Nope, but it may as well be Christmas! This is very exciting!

Great job Mike M! Thanks for the scoop Rusty.

BERUSTY 09-27-2009 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Phoenx 7

Gary, great to know you have known about it for some time...you're the man! The scoop refers to the official "debut" of the model.

Here is a photo showing the highly modified World Models Intruder, the accurate Phoenix 7 prototype from Hanger 9 and the Phoenix 8 Mark Radcliff used in his 5th place finish at the Acapulco 1981 World Championships.

The Phoenix 7 will be an excellent Ballistic Pattern Association (BPA) as their rules allow for a model to use tuned exhaust systems and retracts as used in the original models. The Senior Pattern Association (SPA) uses arbitrary rules allowing 4-strokes (not YS) which were NEVER used in classic pattern models, no tuned pipes, no retracts and allows for the designs to lengthen fuselages, lower stabs and generally modify the original design.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Service

Ed Lyerly 09-27-2009 10:54 AM

This is just GREAT ! Now we have an option to the WM Intruder in the ARF category for SPA use. Having built several H9 ARF's, I'm sure the quality will also be excellent.
Thanks for sharing the news, Rusty ....... and thanks for your development work to Mike and Don :D
WHAT A NICE SURPRISE !!
Ed

JCINTEXAS 09-27-2009 11:07 AM

Yes! This is exciting news!
Thank you Mike and Don!
Thank you Hangar 9!
Starting today, I am putting every spare penny in my Piggybank to get one of these.
Please let us know when pre-orders will be accepted.
Best Regards
JC

crashlander 09-27-2009 11:09 AM

When will the P-7 be avalable?

aerowoof 09-27-2009 11:40 AM

The model will be available in 2010 with price and release date to be determined.

cllaurit 09-27-2009 12:40 PM

I need two!!

Aurora_60 09-27-2009 01:01 PM

AWESOME MIKE M and ALL @ Hanger 9!!!! BIG THANKS!
[X(][X(][X(]
As for myself, I would rather build. I know there are a few in here that feel the same way, but not all. I'm glad to see more planes becoming available for people who would rather spend there time flying and practicing to get on that podium! I have a long way to go for that.
Love the classic scheme as well!

Mike, Do you think the Pheonix can be offered as an ARC for others who want to "personalize" their plane? What ever you do, PLEASE dont put transparent all over it. [:@]

Maybe later, an ARF Desire??
DM

RonMcCormick 09-27-2009 02:43 PM

Great! Thanks Mike and all involved in putting the P7 out for us. I will have two to go, thank you.

Atlanta 60 09-27-2009 04:43 PM

Wow!! This is great!! Glad to see something like this come to fruition... [8D]

I defiantly understand that ARF's have there place in peoples lives...I think this will be a great thing!!

I personally prefer to build -but- The reality is that I have a wall full of unfinished projects which will take me a couple of months to get any one of them going...I know that I am a slow and meticulous builder but I like it that way...Like many of the folks around here the building is as much fun as flying...I don't want to "slam" any of my prize projects just to get something flying quick...But on the other hand I'm kinda ready to fly some too...

I lucked up and got a really nice used Dirty Birdy off the RCU marketplace...I also bought a couple of ARF pattern kits...I recently got them going and they are the only things I have ready to fly...I'm relieved because now I have something to go out and have fun plus I can hone my skills for the future maiden flights of planes which I consider precious...

I'm not so attached to the ARF's...Obviously I would prefer not to crash but it wouldn't be quite as devastating to loose one of those planes while I'm getting use to flying again...I'm kinda considering these planes as my trainers...I'd rather not loose an aircraft I've spent a couple of years building because my skills were not up to par...

I think that ARF's have their place and am glad to see the P-7 in the works...

Chuck

edit: An ARF Desire!! Yeah...Now that would be Kewl!! :D

stuntflyr 09-27-2009 06:18 PM

Wow! Nice model, good looking design and all of the stuff one would like to see in an ARF. Like the gear mounts being made for fixed or retracts, model flown by pro's before release with a nice, new .61, on a pipe too! Slick.
Really nice finish too, with an attracive scheme and red, white and blue, not a hint of pink...
I can see it costing a lot, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Chris...

Aurora_60 09-27-2009 06:56 PM

Hanger 9 has been doing pretty good on their pricing. I hope this one will be the same. But an ARC version... That would be valuable to many.

Is this going to be the very first BPA ARF?

DM

UltraBob 09-27-2009 07:14 PM

This is so cool.

Now if Spektrum would come out with a single stick tx my life would be complete.

Bob

BERUSTY 09-27-2009 07:44 PM

Scoop...Phoenix 7 from Hanger 9!

Guesstimating pricing...I have no specific insight into pricing and accepted M. McConville's answer to both pricing and availability.

If one takes a quick look at the (49) offerings from Hangar 9, only a few are more than $500, a couple between $400 and $499 and (4) between $300 and $399. A typical $329.99 airplane is the .60 size P-51 Mustang which INCLUDES metal retracts and scale spinner in the all balsa and plywood scale ARF model.

The very fine World Models kit is about $199.99 direct and has sold around 300 pieces (estimate based on a few conversations away from World Models). The largest seller in the last (10) years of contest proven, high performance pattern models has been the Focus series of airplanes by Piedmont which included the Focus I, II and Focus Sport which has sold over 500 models...the equivalent a jillion Yaks or Extra's or Caps.

I will guess that the Hanger 9 Phoenix 7 will be around $329.99 - $379.99 "Street" price and be a terrific value considering the expected quality and just the cost to buy automotive base coat clear coat to match the color scheme...

Furthermore, if the model sells through the first 100 - 200 units an additional model could follow (I guess you need to ask Gary on the QT for the inside track.) Speculation of what the next model could/should be...consider what Hobbico already owns due to the Bridi legacy...Deception, UFO, Kaos, Super Kaos, Dirty Birdy. There is also the additional Bridi designs officially being kitted by Blue Jay models? This leaves the Curare, Arrow and ? A company like Horizon will want a super clean, approved copyright type of design?

Personally, the Ed Keck's Akromaster would be such an answer with the cross-over potential of the IMAC crowd (did you see the picture of Phil Vance, the IMAC President at my tailgate party?) I am absolutely focused on a new Classic Pattern event...1978 TOC Pattern.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Hooked on Classics

grcourtney 09-27-2009 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have no idea about when production models will be available. I just know when and by whom the P7 fuse was sent to Mike it's no big secret by any stretch.

But what you need when you get a p1-9!!! Rusty is one of these pics...
Me, Don and my hanno powered 7lb 3oz P-8. This is my wallpaper on my PC.

raddraddrobb 09-28-2009 05:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
they dont make them like this anymore

patternflyer76 09-28-2009 07:26 AM

This is the best news I've seen yet. I'm not really a fan of many of the older pattern airframes, but I do compete in the SPA. I compete in the SPA because it is less expensive then AMA 2M, and it is just as fun. I'm on a budget if you know what I mean. All the people involved in the SPA are great as well. I've flown the WM Intruder90 for the last 2 seasons, and have been pleased with it. I just do not have the time to set and build from short, scratch, or full kits of the classics. I would rather be flying and practicing than building. Life is just too fast paced these days. Between family and work, there is not much time left. This is a breath of fresh air to know that ARF's of the classics will soon be marketed. I have always been a fan of glass fuse and sheeted wings/stabs.

This one will be on my to do list for sure.

Kevin Clark
AMA 340037
SPA 427

rv7driver 09-28-2009 08:30 AM

Very COOL!!! can't wait. Pete

FBaity 09-28-2009 08:48 AM

Bump

JeffH 09-28-2009 09:11 AM

Looks like I will be getting one when they arrive. Why oh why can't we get one done in all white, or even bare balsa wings...Guess I shouldn't complain since the manufacturers are listening to us.

KLXMASTER14 09-28-2009 10:48 AM

This is great news, Gentlemen. I hope that we are seeing the beginning of a trend here. This can only grow Classic Pattern by making these awesome aircraft more accessible to others. I think that H-9 made a wise choice with the Phoenix 7. I doubt that H-9 will have any problem selling out of these aircraft in short order.

[(Soapbox) I hope that this is the beginning of a new trend, bringing back old school pattern planes in ARF form, instead of the nauseating flow of electric 3-D trick monkey planes.]

That said, Add me to the list!! I can't wait. Long live classic pattern!!

-Robert

grcourtney 09-28-2009 04:57 PM

I should clarify my statement of "have known for quit some time" what I meant is I have known since the fuse was sent to Mike and have been chomping at the bit to get one every since!!!! not meaning to throw water on Rusty and his scoop!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

gary

Roary m 09-28-2009 07:42 PM

This is a very neat development; was curious, was the P7 picked because of the time frame for vintage pattern or other reasons? Just curious, again a very neat ship; will keep an eye on this one, thank you Hanger 9 and Mr McConville.

8178 09-28-2009 07:46 PM

Anyone know who “Hanger 9” is?

dhal22 09-28-2009 07:50 PM

coming from an ARF free pilot, a justifiable question. anyone care to enlighten 8178 who Hanger 9 is?:eek:

Jim_Purcha 09-28-2009 07:53 PM

I thinkMike means "Hangar 9" or "Horizon Hobby"not "Hanger 9".

Jim

doxilia 09-28-2009 11:31 PM

Actually I think Mike meant "Hanger 9" between quotes because that's how the company is often (incorrectly) referred to throughout online forums.

I admit it brings a grin to my face whenever I come across things like that - I find the idea of a model aircraft company naming itself after a coat hanger rather than an aircraft hangar rather amusing. :) But clearly that's not the case.

Let the record show that HH's company is called Hangar 9:

http://www.hangar-9.com/

Sorry for being obnoxious.

David.

BERUSTY 09-29-2009 07:52 AM

Scoop...Rusty made a HUUUUUUGE spelling error!

Doinks! (like Homer Simpson, or Shaggy or Scooby-Doo wwuold say)

Wow...I am a moron to not see my spelling error. I have corrected the previous entries to reflect "Hangar" as in specific name of a hobby related supplier vs. "hanger" as in a place to hang a shirt.

Dusty Rose
Team Futaba
Team YS Parts and Service

rcpattern 09-29-2009 08:01 AM

It's OK Rusty. That's where those Red Shirt guys hang out. I can understand not spending much time there...GRIN!!!

This Phoenix looks great. I especially like Mark's scheme as he is a great guy and has been very helpful to me in many ways,

Arch

crankpin 09-29-2009 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A big thanks to Mike McConville. I will take two, and a few guy's I know will take one or two. That is seven or eight, right now.
Rusty, thanks for the write up. You stated Ultra-Cote, etc., meaning that the wing and stab will be covered ?

Vince, Phoenix Fan.

Jon Wold 09-29-2009 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: raddraddrobb

they dont make them like this anymore
Hey!! Is that an MK 1.20 F3A Spinks Akromaster???

roncoleman 09-29-2009 03:53 PM

I've always like the four different ways (worldwide) to spell/say super tigre,
supertiger supertigre, and super tiger. Per Outlook spell check super tiger
is the only correct spelling.

I like the looks of the P-7. Sure do hope they do a ARC.

Ron

crankpin 09-29-2009 04:08 PM

All the case's we picked up at custom's, said: Super Tigre.

Crank

BTerry 09-29-2009 04:17 PM

“ I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. ”

(Mark Twain, Chicago Tribune, May 22, 1932)

“A man must be a great fool who can’t spell a word more than one way.”

Marshall Brown, Wit and Humor, 1880..

Rusty, you are in good company!

BTerry 09-29-2009 04:29 PM

P.S. it seems the new short stroke engine is about ready for market: http://www.evolutionengines.com/Prod..._content=.60NX

I CAN'T WAIT to see how it performs. If it can run anywhere near an old OS 61 VF or Rossi 61, at a weight of 13.5 oz without exhaust, and for $149, we will have a great option for those of us who still love the noisy planes (but hate dealing with irreplaceable 26 year old engines).

crankpin 09-29-2009 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, like this. If a .61 can be made to work like these OS61 SF's, and stay together, many will sell.

Vince

roncoleman 09-29-2009 08:19 PM

Crank, I think Outlook needs to learn how to spell super tigre