RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9725072-my-wood-foam-bridi-ufo-build.html)

R_G 10-20-2012 11:24 AM

RE: My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO Build

1 Attachment(s)
A Splash of Purple! ;)

RG [8D]

boomerik 10-20-2012 12:24 PM

Looking VERY pretty nice combination

PatternPilot 10-20-2012 12:34 PM

Ralph,

Very nice looking...

cpa#2

hallstro 10-20-2012 01:26 PM

Wow! Great work, Ralph. Really nice paint over amazing craftsmanship.

Dave

stuntflyr 10-20-2012 08:40 PM

Super classy, Ralph.
Chris...

Roguedog 10-21-2012 12:28 AM

Wow Ralph! Just awsome is all I can say is "She's a beauty".( Isn't that a song lyric?) Seeing it all dressed up sorta makesme feel thesameas when I catcheyeswith abeautiful women.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

What kinda scheme to you finally decide on for the bottom of the wing?

Bryan

doxilia 10-21-2012 05:27 AM

Outstanding Ralph. Can't wait to see her with the graphics (which you'll undoubtedly add) and all cleared. Still going for those silver accents? Might be nice...

David

dhal22 10-21-2012 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

Wow Ralph! Just awsome is all I can say is ''She's a beauty''. ( Isn't that a song lyric?) Seeing it all dressed up sorta makes me feel the same as when I catch eyes with a beautiful women. [img][/img]

Bryan

The Tubes have a song with those lyrics. What a treat this plane will be to see when complete.

R_G 10-21-2012 10:30 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys! They are ALL very much appreciated! :D

RG [8D]

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

Bryan
Bryan,

The bottom of the wing is the same as the top. The difference will be in the lettering. Lettering on top and none on the bottom. I've never really been a fan of different schemes on top vs bottom. I know it's done for orientation purposes, but it just seems odd to me. I prefer the bottom to match the top. Just a personal thing.

RG [8D]

ORIGINAL: doxilia
Still going for those silver accents? Might be nice...

David
David,

Yes, there will be silver, and more black. ;)

So far, for the most part, Mother Nature has been cooperating. Hopefully she'll be in a good mood for a couple more weekends! :)

RG [8D]

JeffH 10-22-2012 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: R_G

More color! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gif

An Ocean of Orange......well.....a small creek anyhow!

Tip of the Day: DO NOT wear nearly new, white tennis shoes while spraying orange paint! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...c/slaphead.gif

RG [8D]
Same tips goes for dark metallic blue....[:o]

R_G 10-22-2012 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: JeffH

ORIGINAL: R_G

More color! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gif

An Ocean of Orange......well.....a small creek anyhow!

Tip of the Day: DO NOT wear nearly new, white tennis shoes while spraying orange paint! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...c/slaphead.gif

RG [8D]
Same tips goes for dark metallic blue....[:o]
LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D

RG

Jim_Purcha 10-22-2012 05:16 PM

Question Ralph, great model by the way.

Did you use that Badger 350 for all the painting? How soon could  you remove the paint masks after applying a coat?

Jim

R_G 10-22-2012 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim,

So far the only part that I used the 350 on is the black trim around the canopy. The rest was done with a Badger 400 Detail Touch Up Gun which is no longer produced. It's a great little gun and has worked well for me over the years.

I normally apply two light coats and a final double wet coat, then let the lacquer sit for about an hour before removing the mask. Usually by the time I have all the spray equipment cleaned up and put away the mask is ready to come off.

RG

Gene Margiotti 10-23-2012 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:D:D Ummmmmm, love the smell of lacquer paint!

Gene

PS. Great paint job!!

Gene Margiotti 10-23-2012 12:49 PM

Sorry guys, don't know what the "attachments" are that RCU mysteriously added. Couldn't delete them either.

Gene

R_G 10-27-2012 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on the lettering this weekend and thought I'd post a teaser pic! ;) :D

RG [8D]

R_G 10-28-2012 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lettering is done.

RG [8D]

vasek 10-28-2012 09:35 AM

Nice & dandy

doxilia 10-28-2012 03:13 PM

Sweet!

Looks like clear is not that far off. What will you be using?

David

R_G 10-28-2012 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Sweet!

Looks like clear is not that far off. What will you be using?

David
David,

Most likely I'll be using one of the DuPont ChromaClears, probably the 7900S. But I need to talk with the paint guru at the auto parts store first to be sure. In the past I've always used PPG Delclear with Delthane hardener which worked well, but I've heard some very good things about the ChromaClear and I want to give it a try.

RG

stuntflyr 10-29-2012 12:30 AM

Very nice, Ralph.
Chris...

EscapeFlyer 10-29-2012 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Very nice, Ralph.
Chris...

+1

Brian

speedracerntrixie 10-29-2012 04:12 PM

RG, How long do you plan to let the Laquer gas off before the clear? I have had issues in the past spraying a Urethane clear over laquer. The clear stayed soft and never fully kicked.

R_G 10-29-2012 05:36 PM

Thanks Guys! :D

RG

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie
RG, How long do you plan to let the Laquer gas off before the clear? I have had issues in the past spraying a Urethane clear over laquer. The clear stayed soft and never fully kicked.
speed,

By the time it gets cleared most of the colors, except for the numbers, will have had at least 4 weeks to gas off. In the past with the PPG Delclear I've shot clear after just 2-3 days without a problem. I don't expect any issues, but to be safe I will ask the paint guru about this when I see him.

RG

doxilia 10-29-2012 06:09 PM

Ralph,

Are you going to wet sand before clearing? I find the sanding tends to "set" the paint to the point where all that's left is pigment. Any solvents are definitely gone if they are "released" in this fashion. But then again, lacquer is so volatile that I'd be curious to see a half life chart of the solvents. I suspect off gassing is logarithmic with a half life of, give or take, an hour. In other words, there should be no appreciable solvent content difference between 24 and 48 hours.

Speed,

Is it possible that the issue in your case was not the off gassing of the lacquer but rather the properties of the two paint types: basecoat and clear? One thing's certain, not all lacquers are created equal. The "hobby grade" lacquer such as Lustrekote dries more like an enamel than the lacquer it's described to be.

David