RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Super Sicroly II (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/9767504-super-sicroly-ii.html)

flywilly 06-05-2010 08:26 PM

RE: Super Sicroly II

Thanks Bo!!!

bem 06-08-2010 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Hi,

I scanned for one user here at RCU the MK Super Sicroly II building instruction that Simprop wrote for the German market so I decided I may as well post it here although it is in German language. So for people that can read German here it is.
I might translate it to english some "rainy day" when I have nothing better to do. I follow the rule that everyting that can be of interest to someone regarding Super Sicroly II, especially for those that want to build this classic pattern plane, can go into this thread.</p>

/Bo</p>

gkaraolides 06-19-2010 04:19 PM

Greetings all,

ORIGINAL: bem
If anyone should need a canopy for MK Super Sicroly II it is in my kit a new orginal canopy so if You know a good reliable canopy maker I could send it to such person and have a mold and canopy copies made.
There is a [link=http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/curare.htm]canopy supplied by Eureka Aircaft for the Curare[/link]. The Eureka Aircraft Curare kit is based on the MK Curare plans.

I checked the Eureka canopy against copies of the MK plans for both the Super Sicroly II and the Curare and it was about as close a fit as it could be to both plans. So we can suppose that MK used canopies which were identical, or very close, for their kits of both the Super Sicroly II and the Curare, and we can use the Eureka canopy to make either model.

However, Eureka don't ship outside the US. I had my pair of canopies sent through a re-mailing service in the US, which was expensive. If you copy your canopy it would be useful to modelers who want to build either a Super Sicroly II or a Curare in Europe.

Best regards,

George

bem 06-19-2010 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I have both MK Super Sicroly II and MK Curare 60 canopy so comparison is easy. They are as You said close to match but the Super Sicroly II canopy is little longer then Curare 60 canopy- see images below (SuperSicroly II canopy is the blue one). I did not know that Eureka Aircraft do not ship outside US anymore - I have bought short kits from them and it was no problem sending outside US.

/Bo

gkaraolides 06-20-2010 03:07 AM

Hi Bo,

Thanks for posting images of the MK Super Sicroly and Curare canopies. It's good to see them side by side.

I wonder whether, after the canopies are cut to fit, the differences seen in the mouldings will matter at all. I think either canopy will probably fit either plane. Aesthetically, the Super Sicroly canopy has a little more of a curve to its top profile, but after it's built onto a model it will take a very sharp eye to make out the difference.

Re. Eureka, I bought the canopies using their web interface which didn't allow me to specify an address outside the United States. Perhaps I should have called or emailed instead. In hindsight, it would have definitely cost less, international phone calls are much cheaper than they used to be. Anyway it's good to know they have shipped outside the US before.

Many thanks and best regards,

George

doxilia 06-21-2010 12:21 PM

George,

as far as I know Don has no issues shipping internationally. I think he has done so for quite some time.

David.

gkaraolides 06-22-2010 06:41 AM

Hi David,

ORIGINAL: doxilia
as far as I know Don has no issues shipping internationally. I think he has done so for quite some time.
Thanks for confirming this. Next time I'll call and/or email instead of only using the web form.

Best regards,

George

Don Kabirnov 05-03-2011 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys !

About two years ago a bought a classic pattern plane from an old modeller. He told me that it was a Sicroly that he builded in 1972 after he received some hand drawn blueprints from Hans Prettner. The plane was kept in the attic since it last flew in 1995. I asked him how many times the plane was flown, and the answer was "with this Webra that I put in it in '77, about 150 hours but no crashes". He also told me that the plans were never published and probably this one is unique. After this story I paid for it together with the RC 150 Euro (~ 185$ at that time).

Indeed, the engine was totally wreked, piston skirt rounded, the pistonring very tired, and the conrod had 0.5 mm play, the bearings had so much play that were about to dismantle themselfs. Also the Kavan wheels were hard as a rock with the stripes hardly visible. It seemed that the old modeller was telling the truth about the age of the plane.

It took some time to restore the plane, it was painted so I had to whipe it using a lot of nitro solver and then fine sanding the plane and use some filler to level the surface of the wing. The tank (MK 270ml), engine mount, wheels and hinges were also replaced with new ones. I recoverd it with Solarfilm, installed some new electronics (the original servos were Simprop Contest Speed and the RC a 1978 Simprop Contest 8 SSM with dual rates). The engine was replaced by a HB PDP 61 with Perry pump and carburettor from the early '80s.

Until now I managed to do around 20 flights. The engine was difficult to tune in the begining but after this was settled it's turning an APC 12x7 prop at 11.200 rpm using 5% nitro fuel and has enough thrust for my style of flying.

pimmnz 05-03-2011 12:22 PM

A most unusual looking Sicroly...unlike any in any of the published photos going right back to the late '60's. The plans would be worth quite a bit if authenticated...
Evan, WB #12.

mstsst 07-24-2011 07:31 AM

Hi,
I visited Hanno Prettner last Friday.
Hepersonally signedall my MKcollector kits, namely Super Sicroly 40, Super Sicroly, Curare and Magic, with the words "Guten Flug, Hanno Prettner" ("Good Flight, Hanno Prettner").
Next time when I will be there he will show me his "Hall of Fame".
Maybe I will get some interesting Photos of all his Great Planes then.

doxilia 07-24-2011 08:55 AM

A visit I would have enjoyed sharing... Mr Prettner - a true legend of F3A.

Congrats on your visit.

David.

mstsst 07-24-2011 12:28 PM

Thank you, David,

Hanno really is a living legend, a very strong person.
I am in the preferable positionof living just 10 miles away from him, and therefore have the opportunity of meeting him every few months.

I am looking forward to seeing him soon and alsowatching his exceptional model airplane flying capabilities.

Greetings,

Michael

PS: I apologize for my English, but my mother tongue is German.

doxilia 07-24-2011 07:10 PM

Michael,

well, your written English seems perfect!

I'm somewhat anxious to see/hear how the new ARF Curare project is going. Some folks from Austria are working in partnership with Hanno to release a model toward the end of August. I understand from them and a thread on RCG that Hanno has been very involved in the development of it. Apparently they were going to be flying some prototypes some more during the month of May. Photos have yet to come but it would be great to see some recent snaps of Hanno flying - especially something like a SS or a Curare.

I'd love to take some snaps of his Mystic and Sensation in order to find out the true specs of those models. As it is, they are a bit of a dark secret in terms of specs.

David.

mstsst 07-25-2011 07:56 AM

David,

as far as I heard from Hanno, the ARF Curare project is well on schedule.
I didn't mention it before because I was not sure if itis still restricted information. But since there are already threads existing, I can confirm this information.
I also know the company and people involved, and this gives me a very good feeling for a successful project!

I am also working on getting plans for Hanno's planes which whereproduced by EZ for a short time until the factory burnt down and everything ceased.
Planes like Supra Fly, Supra Star and especiallyMystic ...
Hanno promised to search his files - we will see!

All the best,

Michael

Johnkpap 07-25-2011 10:19 AM

Hi David

It is wonderful to hear that you have been able to spend time with
Mr Hanno Prettner I am looking forward to hearing more.

On the topic of plans, does he still have the one I wan't to build most
....The CALYPSO :D

There was a ARF/ARC for a very short time but no plan was ever published.

Regards

Johnkpap

bem 07-25-2011 03:41 PM

Hi,
The dimensions (and ultimately a plan) on the Mystic 60 Hanno Prettner flew at 1993 World Championship should really fill a gap in my opinion. I know there was Mystic 30 and 90 ARF from EZ but that is not quite the same as the WC model Mystic 60.

/Bo

doxilia 07-25-2011 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You guys mean a Mystic like this... :D

Getting there... just a little more work but little time lately. This is the E-Mystic (4s, ~750W), there is also a G-Mystic (OS 32 SX and #300 Hatori pipe) in the works but needs a little more hand cranking before its read for finishing. Electronics are fortunately all lined up - 5000 series Spektrum servos on the tail and Hobbico digital CS-110's on the ailerons.

But these are just 30's. The pursuit for a real Hanno '93 WC Mystic 60 plan is something that I would also very much like to see in the flesh. If Hanno only were to be able to share these plans with his fans for posterity and the good of all mankind (well, maybe that's a stretch...:)). The Calypso plan is something that I have began working on since I have an almost complete built up model. The design of the Calypso is perhaps one of the simplest models I have ever come across. A joy to build and it will be fun to one day finish up those plans.

John, I seem to recall that you were going to do some extrapolating from a Model Tech ARC that you had if I'm not mistaken. The kit built is a little simpler than the ARC but the lines are the same - just no foam on the fuse. A simple box with cross grain sheeting all down the top with a pair of turtle decks built atop. I have posted a bunch of photo of the Calypso build here and on RCG. BTW, it wasn't me, unfortunately, who got to spend time with Mr. Prettner. It's our friend Michael who says he lives not far from Hanno.

Michael, please keep me in the loop if you happen to come across a set of original Mystic plans from the master himself. I have been known to do extreme things for treasures like that... ;)

I almost forgot, one of the extreme things I've done was to procure a NIB Hanno Special. Received it just a few days ago... :D 'tis a Mark I intact with Hatori header and pipe (well, the red pipe is branded by OS but it's really made by Hatori). That engine is reserved for an M60 that will be built the day plans are something we can work from.

David.

doxilia 07-25-2011 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of plans, for those who missed a post I made a few weeks ago in the Mystic 30 thread, I've managed to make some progress on the M30 plans based on the OK Model plans but already modified for flexibility to build with a plug-in wing. Much work still to be done but they may serve one day as a basis for the M60. Moments and aspect ratios are somewhat different from what I've been able to infer but they will provide some sort of outline at least.

David.