Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Club 40 Race in Huntsville, AL

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 Race in Huntsville, AL

Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Club 40 Race in Huntsville, AL

Welcome Tim. I tried to just copy and paste the page of the flyer but it wouldnt let me do that

I dont blame you Tim on giving up on learning how to fly. Ever consider taking up needlepoint or knitting? [sm=lol.gif]
Just ribbing you buddy .... from what Ive seen, you can hang with the best of them !
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
BreakingPoint
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in! I'll be there. I can also bring food or drinks, cups, whatever we need. Feel free to put me down for something to bring. I can bring more chili if we want, or a side item, or the bowls and cups. Someone let me know what still need.

By the way, I drilled holes in my connecting rod to make it liter! It now runs 20K+ rpms on a 9X6! Can't wait to pass everyone!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 PM
telejojo

I hope we don't hit by the parts coming out............................
Old 10-16-2010, 10:00 PM
BreakingPoint

Yep. Is it bad if I can see metal shavings coming out of the muffler? It also likes 60% nitro! I think that's what Tim uses.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
JohnMcGowan

Aaron, you mean to tell me that those metal shavings that I snuck into your engine when you were down here in Bham last weekend are JUST NOW coming out???? [X(]

Yep, Tim uses 60% nitro , but he also uses 12 head shims . Thast why the head of his engine sits so high

And dont just stop with drilling your conrod, lighten that puppy up man! Go ahead and drill about 4 lightening holes in your piston, thats worth about 1600 rpm right there! Be sure to use a 5/16 drill bit and drill from the TOP of the piston down to the bottom [:'(]
ORIGINAL: BreakingPoint

Yep. Is it bad if I can see metal shavings coming out of the muffler? It also likes 60% nitro! I think that's what Tim uses.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
BreakingPoint

That explains the metal shavings. That's also a good idea about drilling a hole in the piston. I'll give that a try.
Not only does Tim use 60% nitro, he also drills out the cylinder to make it .46 instead of .40. That's he's real secret sause.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the Decatur swap meet Saturday and sold off two planes and then went and bought one. At least the squadron shrunk by one.

I also was handing out fliers about the Nov 20th RCRC race. LOTS of interest! I know of at least three that I set the hook on. Two of the guys I talked to said that they had tried to start up C40 racing but it died after the first year. Most all of the guys still had their planes so they are going to push them for next year. One of them just freaked out when he saw the group photo of all of the planes at the NARCA race.

Would you guys STOP telling everyone MY speed secrets. I prefer to stay at the front in the clean air.

Did you guys get a look at Ernie's tail in B'ham? Let me rephrase that. Did you look at the tail of Ernie's airplane at the B'ham race? It had pieces of metal on the tail from where the engine blew. He said the rod was good but the piston and sleeve was the problem. Being the "nice" guy that I am I loaned him my backup plane for the last heat. My backup plane has been flown in every race now. Not by me but by the others in need of it. That is what it is for!

Ernie located a NIB engine and the breakin has started. He will be ready for the Nov 20th race.

Tim
Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 AM
JohnMcGowan

You kinda got the idea now Tim ,.. sell to buy MORE!!!

Kudos on your new recruiting efforts.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] I feel this kind of racing is the hottest thing going now and I can see where it will just get bigger and better in the next year. The more the merrier.

As far as looking at Earnie's tail, I dont swing that way but other might. [X(] Did by chance you let him use some of your 60% nitro in the Bham race? That may explain things ? Im glad he was able to pick up a new engine. The air blast off my prop will help keep his new engine cool as I get in front of him. Tell Earnie that it will take several heat races of letting me pass him and getting in front for his engine to fully break in

So far, how many folks do you think you will have racing up at RCRC Tim? And as always, let me know what kind of help I can give you.

MOOOOve over McGowan
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Tbatt

This could be the blow out race for the year IF (BIG IF) the weather is good. I think that everybody that has raced so far will be there. If that happens we are looking at close to 30!!!!!!!

Of course DP2 will come up with some lame excuse like a pattern contest (yawn) that he needs to go to so we might be down by one or two.

I'm pushing this to be THE BIG ONE for all of us. Rally the troups and let's have a end of the 2010 season race blow out!. The North Alabama Club 40 race season for 2010 has been spectacular by any measure. Thanks to the MANY people that have made this possible!!!

Tim
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM
JohnMcGowan

Tim I agree, this could be THE BIGGIE of the year . I may need to double up on the chili recipe so that we will have enough,... no problem for me with that though.
Thanks goes TO YOU!!!!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Well I chatted with D2 a few days ago and he is going to fly at an antique pattern event held at Bham RC this coming weekend, so there should be no other excuses like he had to clean out his sock drawer or his aunt's cat died and he had to be a pallbearer at the funeral, or any thing of that nature come Nov 20th!! I feel that he and his evil offspring D3 will be there with bells on.

Lets be positive when thinking about the weather.... its going to be nice, its going to be nice,....
Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM
fcomer84

Pattern flyers make BETTER racers!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Well, you can try and tell us that but, whatever works for you.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 PM
AZNrider

I am rookie... what do I need to get into the race., what type of plane, engine, prop ..etc.   Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM
JohnMcGowan

Hi and welcome to the Club 40 forum.
Most pilots are using the World Models SkyRaider MachII ( an ARF that comes with all linkage hardware and fuel tank) and majority are using standard servos, a few use metal geared digital servos . This is the quickest way to get flying .
If you like to build, there is the Sanaloma Racer, a laser cut kit but then you will have to build and cover the plane and then purchase all of the hardware to get it flying. The engine to get is a Thunder Tiger Pro 40 2 stroke.
Props are a personal preference but get a few different ones to suit your flying style,.. anywhere from a 9x6 to a 10x5 or 6 pitch. You will have to experiment with the props to see what way you want the plane to perform.
Have you flown any RC yet and/or a member of a club in your area? There are several great clubs up in and around Huntsville, Rocket City Radio Control and North Alabama Radio Control Association to name 2 of them and both of these great clubs have Club 40 racing members who are well versed in this subject. Maybe take a trip to one of their fields and get a visit to see up close what these planes are all about. There are lots of good folks there as well as on here at RCU to help you in any way should you need any assistance.

I hope this help you get started.
John
Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 PM
dphill2

I've got 4 coming with me. Dont worry about the mule going blind !! Just load the wagon ...
And I remember where my slide shoe is Barry !! I let Wayne Carroll use it, Just ask Frank
See all you J birds Nov 20th .........
Got to go pattern fly this weekend
Dp2
Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM
BarryReade

I knew you would eventually remember where that flat shoe was!!  Great
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
BreakingPoint

Ok guys. You have to check this out http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4520. Hangar 9 just realeased a new Sundowner 36 with the club racer in mind. This thing would be a total BAD-BOY with a Thunder Tiger 40 on it. This may be a good option for a club 40 plane if the current Sky Raider ever stops production, or we decide to move up into a more sporty plane.

I may have to buy one of these little planes. Looks too good!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 PM
JohnMcGowan

Yep, she looks good indeed. To be honest wiff ya, I wouldnt be able to swing it due to the price of that airframe if Club 40 ever went that route. Lets just hope World Models will be around with the Skyraider for quite a while. Remember what Club 40 is supposed to be about anyway ; having the most fun with LOW COST airplanes [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Now having said that, if you want to buy me one when you buy yours, sure, I would just about break your arm taking it from you [sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 PM
BreakingPoint

I agree. It is a little pricy for a club racer. It would be a blast to fly though. Maybe Santa is watching the thread and will bring us all one.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 AM
BarryReade

Club 40 was started by RCPRO, who is the authority on the rules, as an entry level event for RC pylon racing.  If you want the event to survive and prosper you need to us the KISS principle and resist evolving the event to the next level.  There are several other RC pylon racing venues.  RCPRO has Quickie 25 and Warbird Racing venues for two pole race courses.  AMA/NMPRA has 424, 426, 428, 421, and 422 racing. are three pole race courses that most clubs do not have enough land to support.  There are now electric pylon racing venues starting up around the country.  One of the more popular is using the Eflite LR1A Pogo with the 25 size motor.  The plane will fly approx. 110 mph which is just a little faster that a Quickie 25 glow racer.  Plane, motor, esc , and batt around $300 street price.  That is a great price for a dedicated racer but most guys will pass because of the price.

Anyway, I have seen many classes of racing over the last few decades go by the wayside due to evolution to the next level.

My personal feelings are if you are winning every Club 40 event you are going to it is time to move up to a faster class.  This would mean that either you are a gifted pilot or you are spending every available moment practicing and maintaining your equipment at the highest level.  Both of those area take time to prefect and most of us work at it but, it is a hobby and we have other obligations in our lives to pursue so we don't always reach the level we would like to but we enjoy the journey and that is what is important.

As for the Sundowner 36, it is a sharp looking plane and should be running in the same class as the Pogo.  I think the PRO 40 would be a great engine in it but I don't know what current class it would fall into.  Possibly AMA 421 racing if the Sundowner was a formula one plane in real life.

Good golly, I need to go race.

There is a Club 40 and 424 race at Hodges Hobbies in Andersonville, Ga a week from tomorrow 10/30.  Sign up at the Hodges web site.  I hope to see some of you there.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:45 AM
JohnMcGowan

Agree with ya Barry, we need to keep it simple and inexpensive as possible to allow this thing to bloom and bring new pilots in to this great area of racing.

I wont be able to go to Mac's according to "her" , I have some honey-do's to get done.
Best of luck down there and bring home some hardware to hang on your wall [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

John
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Ken Erickson

Barry and john have it right as to the reason for RCPRO Club 40.

Actually, as NMPRA calls 424 and "Entry Class", I have always called Club 40 an "Introductory Class". It is just an excellent class to introduce people to RC racing. And

Reread Barry's section about those who are really good at our class of racing. That was the other reason for starting this. We intended to eventually add to the ranks of NMPRA racers. Now, the RCPRO Warbird community is beginning to use Club 40 as an introductory Class.

And ,of course, "Some will move to the faster classes, some will stay at this class and some will just find something else to do". A quote from me.

Also, "Club 40 is for those who know they want to race. Club 40 Sport is for those who don't know it."

Ken Erickson
Old 10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Tbatt

All good points!

I have been looking at EF1 and it too is pricey. About $500 and then it is not legal for the AMA two pole short course (exceeds 100mph) unless you go with the 15 size motor and then the speed is below Club 40 so what is the point other than burning electrons instead of nitro.

Lots of people that are taking up the RC hobby are doing it with electrics. Most of them that I have met are not interested in glow power so to bring them into racing we may need to think about a alternative to the SRMII and glow power as a seperate class. Just a thought for the future. Maybe a SRMII converted to electric? It would be expensive though.

Tim
Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM
AZNrider

Thank you John for the info.   I been looking into  World Models SkyRaider MachII.  I will race with you guys someday, but not yet.  I just want to get one and set it up do some practice.  maybe next year.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
JohnMcGowan

I AINT going to the "Dark Side" [sm=punching.gif]. Personally ,I like the taste of 15% glow fuel with my bisquits and gravy. No electric battery power for me [>:]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.