Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION!! PLEASE READ!! Alabama Club 40 Rules for 2011 season

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

ATTENTION!! PLEASE READ!! Alabama Club 40 Rules for 2011 season

Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATTENTION!! PLEASE READ!! Alabama Club 40 Rules for 2011 season

Ok guys, here we go ....after several meetings with 5 or 6 area Alabama RC Clubs with the CDs attending , we ALL came into agreement that this would be the standardized rules in which we, the Alabama clubs who are currently racing Club 40 would ALL abide by for the 2011 racing season. This was NOT brought on by just one person, but a group of people who wants to have fun and are trying to keep things simple as possible.
Please read and understand this will simplify things since it will all be standard issue at each club that is currently racing Club 40 here in Alabama:
And YES,.... I have my flamesuit on!!

** I will also ask the Moderator to make this a Sticky thread please so that it will stay close to the top of the Club 40 info so it can be accessed easily **

****These rules are to enforce a true stock airplane and are in ADDITION to
the RCPRO rules. Where there is a conflict, these rules will be used****.

1. No bubble-less tanks. The fuel tank must be a stock clunk type fuel
tank of at least 6oz capacity. Other brands of fuel tanks are allowed as
long as they are a clunk type tank.

2. No backplate / radial mounted engines. The engine must be mounted
using a nylon beam type mount. Another brand of mount may be used as
long as it is made of nylon and has a beam type of structure.

3. No Novice class (TT GP-42 only class).

4. Air Start. 30 second count down.

5. Midairs (airplane strikes anything other than air) - At least two
people, one of which must be the starter, must have either witnessed the
midair or heard contact. If the starter declares a possible midair a
second person must also have suspected the hit. Failure to land after a
midair has been called will result in a DNF (zero score) and may be
cause for dismissal from the race. If still flying, you must land ASAP.
Airplane must be safety inspected before next flight. Pilot will receive
one point if the plane was capable of landing and a zero score if it
crashed or was damaged due to a midair. SAFETY FIRST!

6. Green and Red High/Low Identification stickers will be used on the wings starting with the first race in Alabaster on March 12th. This should save lots of time and simplify things quite a bit as we will not have to take the time to ID each airplane to the line judges before each race. It has been suggested that a coat of wax be applied to your wing to aid removal of the sticker after the race has ended, should you want to remove the ID sticker.

7. Hardhats MUST be worn at all times by anyone who is out on the flightline.

Thank you,
John Mc
Old 03-06-2011, 06:15 PM
JohnMcGowan

Default RE: ATTENTION!! PLEASE READ!! Alabama Club 40 Rules for 2011 season

additional rule info: All airplanes must weight a MINIMUM of 4 lbs,8 oz with no fuel in the fuel tank.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the new rules John!

I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from the guys about the changes. Some have also had some negative comments but we were expecting that. Overall most of the racers understand that we are trying to keep the planes and engines under control.

Our rules are super simple, build the airplane STOCK and go race. Keep the engine STOCK and go race. I just don't know what could be simpler. STOCK means STOCK. We do allow structural modifications and encourage the pilots to do the things that make the airplane stronger and therefore safer.

I can hardly wait until next Saturday! The weather outlook is good so far and my planes are ready!

Tim
Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 AM
fingpilot
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to get in the lineup!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:38 AM
JohnMcGowan

Hi Michael!!
Sorry to hear that you and Larry wont be able to attend the race tomorrow , but you guys drive safe and hopefully we will see you at the next scheduled race.
Unfortunately, I know of no one who will be able to webcast the race ( that I know of anyway) .
Saturday's race should be a good one indeed! D2 and his crew always puts on a fantastic show . I think the weatherman says its going to be right around 70 °, not sure about the wind forcast yet, but I aint scared of no stinkin' wind! [X(]

There are several of us that are going down to Alabaster this morning to help D2 with whatever he needs to set up ( after it warms up just a bit this am) and we just might have to run a few practice laps while we're there too..... you know..., just to try and keep ahead of Battman's skills and all
Later,
JMc
Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
still4given

I like the the clarifications you have made. I can see clunk tanks saving time in the refueling department. I have never had a problem with fuel foaming in my stock tanks so a bladder really isn't necessary IMO.

Here in So Cal we use a flying start as well. Just seems safer than having a bunch of guys rushing their takeoffs.

As a matter of fact, all of the rules you listed above are used at our races except we use a 45 second countdown. Mainly because that is what is built into our timing system.

If you guys want this to become a "sticky", you might want to keep it on topic.

Blessings, Terry
Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terry, thanks for your comments. I like hearing about what others are doing in the Club 40 world and how it works. We have done a lot of experimenting and found that there is no such thing as a perfect set of rules. Some, however, are better than others.

We just had our first race of the season with the new rules and they worked better than we had hoped for. The elimination of the bladder tanks and the radial engine mount made for some very even airplane speeds. Not one single airplane showed any sign of higher speed than the others. All of the engines now have the same sound too. Now some did perform better than others due to being broken in and different props but the straight away speeds were VERY close. The races were won and lost in the turns and that is where the skill is.

The A Main group and the B Main group, during the elimination round, were within a second of each other. That is some close racing!

Tim
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
still4given

Hi Tim,

That's great to hear. I love to hear that the plane speeds were closely matched. That means that anyone willing to put in some time practicing the course has as good a chance at winning as the next guy. Makes for some great racing for the pilots as well as the spectators.

Blessings, Terry
Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 AM
JohnMcGowan

bump..
Old 05-24-2012, 09:09 AM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please read the above rules !!!! and if you have any questions let us know !! we will try and make ya happy !!!
we did not change our rules for 2012 Everything is the same .....
Dave Phillips