Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Huntsville C-40 race

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:23 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Huntsville C-40 race

RCRC race Saturday is A GO!!!!!!
I just spoke with Mr. Wayne Gladden from RCRC and he assures me the race will go on Saturday.
So,... go fire up that crockpot and cook what your gonna bring Saturday!!
Mr. Gladden states that the races should begin appx 10:00 to 10:30 AM Saturday with pilots meeting appx 9:00AM.

Charge those batteries up and LETS GO RACING BOYS!!!!!
Thanks Mr.Gladden!!!

John
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John for taking the time to get an answer.  

I will see everyone there.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
JohnMcGowan

No problem Barry. Drive safe and see ya Saturday AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
JohnMcGowan

Barry, just a heads up , Im sending you an email.
JMc
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
BarryReade

Got it.  I will bring what I have.  Tell Bos I have 1 yellow and 2 orange that are not obligated.

I just have to remember who gets what??? 
Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM
BreakingPoint
My Feedback: (2)

Yo yo yo.. I be dere saturdie!
Aaron
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be there some how but not racing. I'll help run the event but I'm just to tired to try and fly right now. I've been putting in 14-16hr days this week and I'm exhausted.

I'll bring out the pylons and other race stuff tomorrow morning. After the race I will need to leave the pylons and starting clock at RCRC for a couple of days until I can retrieve them.

Thanks guys for your effort in working to make the race happen!

Tim
Old 11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
BarryReade

I just left RCRC and there won't be any pylon stuff till tomorrow morning.  I was welcome to fly but the wind was up and kinda gusty so I will wait until the morning.

Anybody want to get together tonight and bench race call me 404-805-8302.  I am at the Quality Inn on University.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:14 PM
BarryReade

A great race today.  We had 16 entrants, 3-4 mid-airs, lots of camaraderie, A great Chili lunch with five different kinds of Chili (they were all great) with a Chili competition, six rounds of racing followed by an "A" and "B" Mains to finish it off.  Yes there was 20 mph winds and gusty at times but  the pilots demonstrated how good they really were and there was no mishaps from the wind that I could tell (we did try to).

The CD Alan and Tim ran the matrix and kept track of everything.  It was a very good day.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to post the results of the day

The Rocket City Radio Controllers were a class act and have a great Club.  

I personally want to thank them for hosting this event.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Tbatt

Wow! What a race! The wind was a challenge but the pilots did great. We had several verticle landings as the wind was higher than the landing speed. What a riot! The wind was blowing so hard that some of the guys hard hats were blown off.

We managed to have our typical 25% carnage with two crashes that were due to possible radio issues and two crashes that occured during takeoff when two planes tried to occupy the same place.

As Barry mentioned, we had 16 entrants and even had a first timer to Club 40 racing. Fred Herrman came out for the first time to race Club 40 with us. Now Fred is not new to racing, we raced Q-500 and 1/2A many years ago. Fred still has good skill and was at the front of the pack at lunch time. Then the chili took effect and he was passed up by the heavy eaters......

A Main
1st Randal Bosworth "BOS"  Fast time of the day 1:26.67
2nd Barry Reade
3rd Brad Clayton
4th John McGowan

B Main
1st Greg Doe
2nd Fred Herrman (first time in C-40)
3rd Ernie Duffey
4th Eric Beaver (second race in C-40)

I was glad to be a part of the 2011 season. I just wish that I could have raced in the final race but I was just exhausted from all of the time I had to put in the past week. After being the starter and score keeper for the race I packed up and went to a video shoot that night. Sunday I had another video in the afternoon.

Tim
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM
BarryReade

And a great job you did Tim!!  Thanks for your help to the C40 program in Alabama
Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Tbatt

Glad to help out Barry!

We are already working on our race schedule for 2012. NARCA may drop a race and Alabaster may add another one in so we should have plenty of racing to go around. After we have our intra-club meeting and hash out the schedule we will start up a new thread.

I would like some input from you guys about how I did the jump start horn warning. I think it helped sort things out for telling the pilot that they have jumped the start.

Tim
Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 AM
BarryReade

The jump start horn was similar to the start horn and it would really help if the start horn and the jump start horns were two  distinctly different sounds.  Other than that it is really going well. 

I tend to forget sometimes that C40 is an entry level event and you are doing a great job with a minimum amount of course workers.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Tbatt

Good idea about using a different horn. Walmart has a mini air horn that has a much higher pitch than the larger ones we have been using for cuts.

I wish we could get more workers but I can also understand why we don't. You can't blame someone for not wanting to sit in the heat all day just to sound a horn and call in a cut.

With the growth of electric racing maybe we could have two classes, nitro and electron. We could follow Hodges lead and say you can only fly in one of the two classes and you have to work in the class you don't fly in. Now, if we could just get some new guys interested in electric pylon........

Tim
Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM
BarryReade

What size plane are you thinking about for E Pylon???  And do you have a specific one in mind.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Tbatt

In order to keep within the AMA short course setback rules we need to keep the speed below 100mph. I would like to see a class that is slower than Club 40 so it can take the place of the novice class.

Several years ago before we got into club 40 we experimented with electric pylon racing using a design of mine called the Blue Ray. It was very low cost ($100 ready to fly, minus receiver). The speed was around 50mph with a two cell pack and was boring to race with but use a three cell pack and the speed jumped up to around 75-80mph and the fun started. The battery pack was located at the CG so going from the two cell class to the three cell class was super easy.

I made the plans for the Blue Ray free for the asking. I required the plans to be requested instead of posting them this way I could track who and where they were being flown. So far 14 countries are racing the Blue Ray in various forms. Some redesign has taken place due to the lack of the Dow Corning Blue Foam not being available. The South Africans went nuts over the BR and I helped them sort out a redesign of the structure. After we were done they clocked one at 106mph at 3600 ft (where they fly).

Anyway, I don't recommend using the BR design because a comercial-off-the-shelf ARF would be more appealing to the masses.

I'm open for ideas to get fresh meat involved.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Ken Erickson

Congratulations to all of you for a successful and FUN season!! The recent posts by everyone speak of the amount of FUN you all are having with your RCPRO Club 40 Racing.

Special congrats and "Thank You" to Tim for the amount of work and leadership he has put into this activity!

Ken Erickson
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
davidgeorge212

did anyone take any pictures of the winners or any time else during the race?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 AM
BarryReade

I was a slacker that day David.  I just found some pics from the last Bham race though
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 AM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: Tbatt

In order to keep within the AMA short course setback rules we need to keep the speed below 100mph. I would like to see a class that is slower than Club 40 so it can take the place of the novice class.

Several years ago before we got into club 40 we experimented with electric pylon racing using a design of mine called the Blue Ray. It was very low cost ($100 ready to fly, minus receiver). The speed was around 50mph with a two cell pack and was boring to race with but use a three cell pack and the speed jumped up to around 75-80mph and the fun started. The battery pack was located at the CG so going from the two cell class to the three cell class was super easy.

I made the plans for the Blue Ray free for the asking. I required the plans to be requested instead of posting them this way I could track who and where they were being flown. So far 14 countries are racing the Blue Ray in various forms. Some redesign has taken place due to the lack of the Dow Corning Blue Foam not being available. The South Africans went nuts over the BR and I helped them sort out a redesign of the structure. After we were done they clocked one at 106mph at 3600 ft (where they fly).

Anyway, I don't recommend using the BR design because a comercial-off-the-shelf ARF would be more appealing to the masses.

I'm open for ideas to get fresh meat involved.
Tim,

Before I went on hiatus, I was working on [link=http://www.rcpro.org/html/rules/club_wingman/club_wingman.htm]Club Wingman[/link] for an electric powered class. Everyone who flew the planes loved them. They are even more docile than the Sky Raider due to the lighter wing loading, and they are more maneuverable in some ways. The speeds are in-between Club 40 Sport and Club 40 Advanced. The plane is slightly smaller than the Sky Raider Mach II. It is built much lighter though. It is built for Electric or Glow power. With something like a JETT .35 on it, it would be a honker. With an OS 25 AX, they are much fun.

The whole thing with using this plane is much the same as was with Club 40, synergy with existing classes. Club 40 had synergy with AMA 424 because people can buy Thunder Tiger Pro 40 engines and know they can use them when or if they decide to try AMA 424. Or they can sell their engines to people who do.

My concept with Club Wingman was to use the same batteries as NMPRA EF1. At that time batteries were the major expense of electric racing. I think they probably still are.

I was going to require everyone to use the stock The Wings Maker / The World Models motor, but in light of the NMPRA motor selection, I would now say to use the NMPRA EF1 motors instead.

These planes come in three color choices and they do not have pre-glued in hinges. They use CA hinges. So the planes can be stripped and recovered. I have talked to AirBorne Models recently and the possibility of getting them in solid white at the minimum is a possibility.

I can see races with just the Wingman and the EF1 planes. Nice quiet events sharing the same batteries and motors, on the same course. Wingman for the guys who aren't building yet and don't have the flying skills required of EF1. But knowing that they can get there and reuse their equipment.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51733.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1705394  
Old 01-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Tbatt

Hi Don,

Interesting concept. What would be the total price to get one of these ready to race?

One thing we did with the Blue Ray racing was to limit the number of batteries to two packs and a single charger (charge one battery at a time). The reason we did this was to keep the cost under control. The batteries needed for racing are expensive and I did not want this to get to the point that in order to be competitive you would need four battery packs and chargers to race. We limited our racing to two minute heats so that the battery was about half discharged and could be topped off in about 30 minutes. With two packs you could race every 15 minutes and not push the batteries so they would last for several seasons.

One other thing we did was to score by completed laps within two minutes. This caused the scores to be very close and was lots of fun. The really fast guys had to get a full lap ahead in order to score additional points.

Tim
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
DonStegall

Tim,

I will start a new thread and post detailed pictures and links. Plus I will be doing testing of the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXBHEN&P=FB&Q=1]O.S. .25 Brushless Motor[/link] as soon as I get a chance.

I work for a VERY large bank and I work from home. Started at 7am and at 8:15pm I'm just now quitting for the day. Barely took time to eat all day.

I will give you the prices of the plane using parts from Airborne Models and The World Models as they keep the parts in stock. While I changed the rules on the web site to use the EF1 power system, after trying to actually buy parts, I think I'm going to have to add a STOCK class back in.

The plane is $109.99, the motors are about $75, the ESC's range from $35 to $85, the lowest cost batteries are about $30 each.

I used Hitec HS-85MG servos in mine and used dual aileron servos. So about $100 for servos. You could use full size servos, but I recommend using at least mini servos for the weight savings.

I use the [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7898__Turnigy_420_Balancer_Charger_2S_4S.html]Turnigy 420 Balancer/Charger 2S~4S[/link] and it is only $23. So you can buy a couple or more. It is a very nice charger for the price.

Like I said, I will do a new thread and give full details. Maybe some video.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 PM
DonStegall

Tim,

I started the new thread. Did not get to the EF1 power systems much yet. Still working on where to buy and availability.

As far as one-design electric racing classes go, this is the plane I'm infatuated by [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/PKZU1480]Ultra Micro Pole Cat BNF by Park Zone[/link]. If they would do them in solid white with a black canopy, so they would be easy to personalize, they would be real cool. So far Horizon doesn't get that concept. Oh wait, they did do it way back when with the UltraStick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38052.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1709852  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
DonStegall

Tim,

Just thought I would let you know that I have uploaded 38 photos from the 2010 Fall RCRC Race at [link]http://www.facebook.com/club40racing?sk=photos[/link]. I did not know who to credit as I lost the mailer that the CD came in and I can't find the email about it. If you let me know who took the pictures I will add the credit.

They are great photos.

People are free to add new photo albums at Club 40 Racing on Facebook. I'm not 100% sure I have it enabled so that others can do it. If not please let me know. I may keep it a little restricted and make photo/video contributions by permission. Still refining the Facebook skills. The [link]http://www.twitter.com/club40racing[/link]Twitter feed did pick up the message properly. I was happy about that.