Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Club 40 Pylon Race at WAAM in Tuscaloosa Aug 4th, 2012

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 Pylon Race at WAAM in Tuscaloosa Aug 4th, 2012

Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM
THRL-CKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club 40 Pylon Race at WAAM in Tuscaloosa Aug 4th, 2012

My thoughts:

First on Greg Doe, Greg you have been associated with RC pylon racing for a long time. You should know better than to remove anything from your plane before an after race inspection! If I had been the CD you would have been DQ,ed.

Now as for Bob, You are on the RCPRO rules committee, you know the rules say "E-Z" connectors can not be used for control surface linkage. I know the type with the metal clip are safe, but the rules do not specify. For you to show up at a race with them installed is just plain arrogance.

As for the $15.00 TT40 Greg said he bought at Perry, I know this is true I was there.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 AM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: THRL-CKER

And remember: Don't make old People mad.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM
gefisher
My Feedback: (2)

Okay Batman I cheated also I don’t believe I had any cuts in my heats either! And I wanted to have a diving start for my fast time run also but I remember them saying you could not dive start! I had a high wind and a driving rain at the time I made my fast time run it just happen to be a good lap! And as for the impound table after the A main race was over I’m an old racer from the dirt tracks back in the Midwest but compared to all you veteran pylon racers I’m a rookie but I do know impound means bring it like it is from the race! Anyone in pylon racing knows if there is an impound after the race what that means! And Greg we do check props in Texas at every pylon race we walk around checking them just to make sure they have not been modified. At the last Hico race Saturday 25th there was a prop that was just screaming around the pylons and fast as h$ll and after a look see it was found to be a 10 X 4 cut way down so it was a high RPM and fast (illegal) he was made to change it! He just didn’t know! The pilots may not see us check props but trust me at the Texas races they are checked! The Tuscaloosa guys had their set up for inspection for the pre race checks and I thought they did one hell of a job on that part! But the ball was dropped and thin fumbled at the impound… If you are going to impound planes after a race then the officials or chosen individuals needs to pick them up and take them to the impound area for inspection before anyone has time to change something or add something we all took our planes back to our pit area and then on to the impound area and that was not the way to do it! But I know I took my plane to the table just the way it come off the field it was not missing anything! So in all fairness that is why I didn’t say anything at the inspection table because everyone would have time to change something if they could have! I myself do not try hiding what I am running because this Club 40 racing is all about helping the young guys and older guys get going in this entry level pylon racing! I figure if I can’t fly smooth enough to beat the next guy then I don’t deserve to win!
Gary Fisher
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Alabama Racer

Greg uses the same prop as a lot of other
folks. He has even loaned me one of them
to try. It did not work on my plane very well
so I gave it back to him.
When I started racing in 1981, Greg is one
of the few people that would help me learn
the ropes. At that time, there were a lot
of racers that had a rather high opinion of
themselves and they would not step down to
help out a new guy. There is much more to
his success than what prop he uses - ever notice
how he needles his engine, for example?
brad
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg used his pit area to remove the engine head. His pit area was maybe ten feet from the impound table which was full with three airplanes on it. I'I don't think that Greg was doing anything wrong by removing the engine head in full view of everyone ten feet away from the inspection table.

I do agree that all airplanes should have been picked up from the runway and taken to a impound area by the tech inspectors. Next year we can try to do better.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Oldbob

Thrl-cker, sorry I came off as arrogant. My primary plane passed muster, but I was just too darn lazy to change both of my planes. It will not happen again.
Bob
Old 08-27-2012, 03:46 PM
gefisher

ORIGINAL: Tbatt

Greg used his pit area to remove the engine head. His pit area was maybe ten feet from the impound table which was full with three airplanes on it. I'I don't think that Greg was doing anything wrong by removing the engine head in full view of everyone ten feet away from the inspection table.

I do agree that all airplanes should have been picked up from the runway and taken to a impound area by the tech inspectors. Next year we can try to do better.
Tim it really don’t matter if it’s 10’ or 200’ Greg knows he should have sat his plane up there and besides there was room on the table because there was only one plane on the table when he sat it up there because I was bringing my plane up there at that time and my plane made three on the table so you probably should get your story strait before making a comment on the matter! Hey guys it’s like this I am not pissed at anyone over this I think it could have been handled a little better but to hold a first time event the biggest Club 40 race yet and I would have to say the best race to date that Club 40 has had! The guys from Alabama all the clubs involved with it did a great job! This little infraction is very, very, very small to what we all can do in the future to make Club 40 grow and promote this great sport! I know for a fact that the guys from Texas are already making planes for the trip next year !

Gary
Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, no hard feelings here. And yes, I may have gotten my time line messed up with the engine inspection but what I saw was there was not enough room for four airplanes on the inspection tables. We can fix that next year.

I also thought that all of the winning engines would be inspected, A-C Main winners. I was surprised when only the A Main engines were torn down. We may need to think about that for next year.

The TTown race was great even with all of the warts. Next year it will be even better!

Long live Club 40!!!!

Tim
Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
gefisher

I am looking forward to it!

fish
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
codbucket
My Feedback: (6)

Birmingham RC will be hosting a Club 40 pylon race on the 3rd of November. There will also be a chili cook off, and a Conecuh sausage burn!
There will be raffle prizes including a new in the box Sky Raider ARF, and numerous other nice prizes. Our intention is to award 12 plaques in A, B, and C main races! So, make your plans now to come out and race with us in Morris Alabama. Questions, comments? RSVP [email protected]
Thanks, and we look forward to a great day of fellowship, and racing! Tom Calamusa for B'ham RC