Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

You should come join us in Colorado. If we have a new racer show up to race for the first time, we don't care what engine he has. Now if he cleans everybody's clock, next time might be a different story. But I doubt he will in his first race.

Just like Still4given's comments above.

Kurt
You never know.... I know a guy who won (a heat and the Gold) his first time out. [img][/img]
Just curious, what engine was he running?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: still4given

You should come join us in Colorado. If we have a new racer show up to race for the first time, we don't care what engine he has. Now if he cleans everybody's clock, next time might be a different story. But I doubt he will in his first race.

Kurt
You never know.... I know a guy who won (a heat and the Gold) his first time out. [img][/img]
Just curious, what engine was he running?
He, as in me, has bone stock .40s.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Kurt
PERFECT way to hook a new racer! Works every time.

Kurt
Sure did, I am looking to buy 2 more airframes for a total of 4 for next year. 4 weeks ago some guys at my club talked me into pylon racing. I ordered 2 airframes and 2 engines. Put about 100 laps of practice in before my first race. Won my first heat straight up even with a cut. Flew my way into the gold with a fly-off. Won the Gold race my first time out after two very fast and very experienced pilots ended up with mutilple cuts and a jumped start. I was the only pilot in the Gold to run a clean 10 laps.

Hooked...? Oh yes, you have no idea! I cannot wait for next season!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 AM
cjbotox
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DANG! I missed the race... If only... if only... oh well now I can set time for next local race. Thanks guys for input and answers. I also went back to FL club 40 racing rules and noticed ONLYSKYRAIDERMACHII.. DOUBLEDANG!! I was ready to get a LARACER.

Is RCPRO affiliated in any way with FL club? They are using LA RACER, I'm going to join as I have a TWM GS Rockwell Mustang I'll be itching to race - when I finish building. The Club 40 came in after the big plunge because its so popular, especially in this region. Although I have been racing with a Sig Wonder for years now (Magnum .15 - goes verticle FAST).

Racing at my club is vertually obsolete with so many guys diversified in electrics. Me, gimme two poles and a nitro breather and I'll race alone if not just to practice how low can you go, around the pylons. The Flying Eagles in Leesburg is closest, but I don't mind going to Gainesville or Dunnellon, they're both same distance.

Back on topic: it looks like a TT pro will be my choice.

I noticed in the rules that LARGE SYRINGES could be used for filling but not mandatory. This would be even better than the old fuel bulbs, but am I right about consumption to size?

John
Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 PM
ACKopter
My Feedback: (1)

Too bad you didnt make it out. Perfect day today for racing even if it was a little cold when I got there(field thermometer said 29!!!)
The LA racer was brought up before the race committee for use in the 2011 season but did not meet approval. I dont know any specifics on the denial, maybe something possible in the future.

No on the RCPRO affiliation, that would be cool though if it was. I have a Phoenix Strega that goes fairly decent that I could use.

I would say a definate yes on the TT. I have a new Super Tigre.40 and all the legit TT.40's at the race today have a noticable speed advantage.

It's funny that you mention the use of filling with a syringe, for the first time in the two years that I have been racing I saw one of the racers using a syring to fill up with. Most be some good science behind the idea because his plane was really moving today. I really dont think a premeasured amount of fuel would work, too many late or slow starting planes getting in the air before the start, someone is sure to run out of fuel.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

A syringe is only needed if you are using a Jett or Tetra bubble-less tank, which keeps the fuel separate from the air. It is not a pressurized system. Most AMA 424/426/428/422 racers use this set-up. A bubble-less tank doesn't make an engine run any faster.

Kurt
Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: ACKopter

Too bad you didnt make it out. Perfect day today for racing even if it was a little cold when I got there(field thermometer said 29!!!)
The LA racer was brought up before the race committee for use in the 2011 season but did not meet approval. I dont know any specifics on the denial, maybe something possible in the future.

No on the RCPRO affiliation, that would be cool though if it was. I have a Phoenix Strega that goes fairly decent that I could use.

I would say a definate yes on the TT. I have a new Super Tigre.40 and all the legit TT.40's at the race today have a noticable speed advantage.

It's funny that you mention the use of filling with a syringe, for the first time in the two years that I have been racing I saw one of the racers using a syring to fill up with. Most be some good science behind the idea because his plane was really moving today. I really dont think a premeasured amount of fuel would work, too many late or slow starting planes getting in the air before the start, someone is sure to run out of fuel.
Hope you had a good day Chris, Sure wish I could have made it up there. Who won?

Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 AM
ACKopter

Hi John,
Had a great day!!! Perfect weather and a good turn out considering it was the last round of the year.

By memory I think it was Tom Craig, Jerry Ditmar, Charlie Poulton and Rolando Perez in that order for the gold round. It was pretty fierce with multiple cuts to Charlie and Rolondo, Both Tom and Jerry managed to keep cuts down to one each. End of year was 1Charlie Poulton, 2Rolondo Perez, 3Myself, 4John Hartley and 5Tom Craig.

I was my own worst enemy yesterday, competition was tough and i was trying too hard, I had cuts in the first and last rounds to contend with and went 2-1-3 for the day
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Hi John,
Had a great day!!! Perfect weather and a good turn out considering it was the last round of the year.

By memory I think it was Tom Craig, Jerry Ditmar, Charlie Poulton and Rolando Perez in that order for the gold round. It was pretty fierce with multiple cuts to Charlie and Rolondo, Both Tom and Jerry managed to keep cuts down to one each. End of year was 1Charlie Poulton, 2Rolondo Perez, 3Myself, 4John Hartley and 5Tom Craig.

I was my own worst enemy yesterday, competition was tough and i was trying too hard, I had cuts in the first and last rounds to contend with and went 2-1-3 for the day
Thanks for the resultsChris (Good job!). I am so looking forward to racing with you all to next season.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
ACKopter

Partial update. Had an Email from Hobbico today, they have received the engine and gave an estimated complete date of 11-23-12.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Partial update. Had an Email from Hobbico today, they have received the engine and gave an estimated complete date of 11-23-12.
10 more days for what? They should be sending you a new .40 no questions asked.... yesterday!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
capnduane

Went out to our Club 40 race at Gilman Springs, Ca. last Saturday. Wasn't able to race due to back troubles.... The Victorville guys kicked butt again, but one of our club members did finish in the money, Congrats, Dave Carling! The wind came up kind strong but the races went on anyways. It was kinda neat how the planes hauled down wind! I limped around the pits with my quarter in hand, and did not see any TT40s that looked suspicious. Most of the top aircraft looked equal in speed, tight lines/corners were the key this day.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 AM
ACKopter

I'm not sure why they need so much time. They email they sent seemed rather generic and some of the corespondence I've had seemed geared more towards actual warranty repairs than the very specific situation we are dealing with here. I did call and speak one on one so to clarify the situation and make sure we(hobbico and myself) were all on the same page. Oh well, no more racing till the 5th of January so there is really no rush anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 AM
BarryReade

Sounds like they will probably restore your engine to a .40 and hope you will just go away.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

I'm not sure why they need so much time. They email they sent seemed rather generic and some of the corespondence I've had seemed geared more towards actual warranty repairs than the very specific situation we are dealing with here. I did call and speak one on one so to clarify the situation and make sure we(hobbico and myself) were all on the same page. Oh well, no more racing till the 5th of January so there is really no rush anyway.
I know we are back on Jan 5th, but I just never understand the crazy wait time when it's an obvious error on their part.
Speaking of the 5th, I just ordered in more airframes! This is addicting! I cannot wait until the 1st race.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 AM
ienjoyrc

The nickel/quarter test is not valid if the head shim is removed. A 46 would appear to be a 40.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: ienjoyrc

The nickel/quarter test is not valid if the head shim is removed. A 46 would appear to be a 40.
Not quite true.

In my personal measurments, I have found the head shim on the .46 and the .40 is very, very thin. The shim is approx .012" - .015"

The head to engine case gap on a TT Pro .40 is .045
The head to engine case gap on a TT Pro .46 is .080
A quarter is approx .065" thick

Removing the .015 shim from the .080 gap on the TT .46 leaves .065"

The quarter still fits snugly and side by side the difference is still visually noticable. The shim isn't the issue, the top of the liner of the .46 is still taller to accomodate the .039" (1mm) longer stroke..

Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM
ACKopter

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I know I sure did.

Friday the 23 has come and gone yet no word from Hobbico, hopefully it is just a lag from the holiday. I'll send them a reminder Monday to see what the verdict is and hopefully they will have an answer.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 AM
ACKopter

Sitting here getting ready to give Hobbico a call and the UPS man shows up with a package from Hobbico. Looks like a new engine as a replacement from them which is great. No explanation other than the repair slip with a note from the service tech that states, "We replaced necessary parts in your repair."
Very thankful for the replacement but wish I received some form of explanation or acknowledgement of this issue and a resolution to prevent this from happening again in the future. Oh well, new season starts up early this January. Time to put this behind me and move on.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
BarryReade

Ain't going to happen.  To date Hobbico/Tower/Great Planes have not admitted to any wrong doing in this 40 vs 46 fiasco.  So, I wouldn't expect them to start now.  The only way it will happen is if the guys that had bad motors filed a suite against them and then after multiple years of continuations, back sliding, and branch dragging they may be able to get it thrown out of court, etc.   Every time a motor is sent back that evidence is gone when they restore it to normal.  And who can actually prove they did anything wrong in assembly if, and I say if, no one actually saw them commit the error.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM
dphill2

Barry,
I guess they look at it as they gave us more for our money so why should we complain. The only reason it was found out was pylon racing anyway !!
just my thoughts on it ...

DP
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
BarryReade

I agree Dave.  They, Hobbico, just do not get it.  I really expect them to discontinue the PRO 40 in the next two years as the only guys that are using them is Club 40 and AMA 424 Quickie 500.  All the other contest like, funfly etc use the 46. So, it is a real small market.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: BarryReade

I agree Dave. They, Hobbico, just do not get it. I really expect them to discontinue the PRO 40 in the next two years as the only guys that are using them is Club 40 and AMA 424 Quickie 500. All the other contest like, funfly etc use the 46. So, it is a real small market.

So what if we just stopped swimming upstream and allowed .46's?

Kurt
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
BarryReade

I personally feel the 424 Sport Quickie 500 class would be to fast for an entry level event.  I don't think it would be an appreciable increase in the Club 40 aircraft as they are much bulkier than the Quickies.  I think 424 folks would start looking for a different motor that performed similarly to the PRO 40.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Bozarth

We would love the increase up here in Denver!

Kurt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.