Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Craig,
I was thinking just as you did so I even called their place of business after I purchased mine to ask if they had anymore and if he wanted to sell them outright, but they replied they didnt have any more of these unfortunately. I guess you and I got a little lucky on these huh?
For some reason I like the older style engines better, to me ,they just run slightly better. The best engine I ever had was one of these older styles and it would turn up better than what Ive been able to get out of the newer style carbed engines. I ran it for appx 3+ years until it finally lost most of its compression.
John
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

John,
I have seen both go fast. It seems like the more they wear out and get sloppy, the faster they go. My fastest motors all look beat and spit a ton of fuel out of the front bearing. I used to think the older motors were faster, now I just think the worn out motors are faster. Props and thumbs still make the biggest difference....I am always amazed at the variance in 'the same' APC props and the amount of speed difference they can make
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 AM
cjbotox
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the joke's on me... I talked with our club pres on the phone yesterday to reaffirm the modified 6 X 8 prop. He said "...I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 9 X 6 on a 40, unless you have deep pockets to buy a new engine after every race. All you're gonna do is fan the air with a prop that small." I was stunned but didn't argue. Just tried to remember who was there on that day. This was at least 4 years ago.

A while later I called a friend I was sure was there the day he ran it (I remember because he was shaking his head the whole time). He barely remembered the incident but eventually came around ans said it was a prank!

Lesson learned: I will be much more reserved in making rediculous statements until verified. My apologies to LOWNVERTED and thanks to B READE for responce.

John

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

RC Flyers tend to be like anglers telling of the big fish they caught.  No big deal.  Are you coming down to Apopka to watch some of the three pole pylon racing this weekend?  They will be running 424 and 426 on Sat and 424 and 422 on Sun.  There will be some of the fastest guys in the world there competing
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 AM
cjbotox
My Feedback: (11)

I wish I could Barry. Wife has to be with her sister (has cancer) and I have to baby sit the 3 dogs while she's gone Sat & Sun. I am planning on being at first Club 40 race in Jan. though. And I would like to see the GS P-51races that RCPRO has been talking about. Do you know their schedule?

John
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 AM
BarryReade

John, I understand about dog sitting.  As soon as this next race is over I will be really bearing down on the GS P-51 and get it finished.  We do not have a schedule yet and there are only three for sure.  Don S., James B., and myself.  There may be more but I can't recall specifics.

Maybe I can make the Gainesville race in April and bring the Double Trouble down with me if I don't have another race around then.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
still4given

Who wants to watch three pole racing? The setback is so far for the spectators and the planes so small it is like trying to watch a flea circus. That is the beauty of two pole racing. The action is up close and personal. If you are not the pilot or caller in three pole, you might as well bring a book to read.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM
BarryReade

Hi Terry, Beauty is in the the eyes of the beholder.  I like both two pole and three pole racing.  I enjoy competing more than watching but, I enjoy watching both.  Don't be so nasty about it!!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
still4given

Nasty? I gave you a wink.

On the other note, I'm sure competing is just as much fun in three pole as two, but you have to admit, from a spectator's perspective, two pole has it all over three pole.

After all, this is a two pole forum, don't ya know.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
BarryReade

I missed it Terry, My Bad.  But we have one place in the East that runs C40 on the three pole short course and I like it soooo, I guess we can say it is predominantly a two pole forum.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Oldbob

Barry, if it’s three pole it’s NOT C40, its Sport pylon from the late ‘60s; been there, done that. Call it what you want, but C40 is two, too, to, 2 POLE.

Bob
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM
BarryReade

It is OK for you and whoever wants to call C40 two pole only but, Bob you are being narrow minded and condescending.  I am truly sorry that you are that way.  We have also run C40 at Old Julian airport on their three pole course.  And if you want to stay in the late 60-'s and call it Sport Pylon that is your prerogative.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Oldbob

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. [>:]
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
dphill2

Guy's,
Just to pass along somthing we started doing in our last race @ B'Ham !! We made up a paddle using the color stickons that we use to ID the planes. (one side red and one side green)The cut judge was ask to hold the paddle up or down, the color of the plane was that he just blew the horn on ... It worked out as soon as he blew the horn the pilots helper could see as did the starter who was the guilty party !!! No radios !!!!! and now everybody knows who cut !!! It also alowed the pilot to move out and not take a chance of a double cut and zero ...
Don't know if you guys are doing this or not but it worked real well for us and we are going to keep doing it next year !!!!

Dave Phillips
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
twitte1

Dave,

What if two planes cut on the same pole at the same time???? Paddles flying everywhere!!!!

Trey Witte
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
dphill2

Trey,
The cut judge blows his horn twice and that means he will show two planes !! Like hi red and low green or what ever color cut..
We did it at our last race and it worked very well !!! Once the horn blows you will know instanly just by looking at the judge that blew the horn.. Your helper will be able to look as well and tell you if you are the one that cut !!!
I know that I was able to relay the info to the pilots a lot better doing this way, than with the radios >>

DP
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Scorpion Racing

Sounds like a great solution to a common problem, Dave. Very simple, cost effective and easy to understand. Good work!!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
squidman
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dphill2

Trey,
The cut judge blows his horn twice and that means he will show two planes !! Like hi red and low green or what ever color cut..
We did it at our last race and it worked very well !!! Once the horn blows you will know instanly just by looking at the judge that blew the horn.. Your helper will be able to look as well and tell you if you are the one that cut !!!
I know that I was able to relay the info to the pilots a lot better doing this way, than with the radios >>

DP

will the cut judge continue to watch the pylon when he is raising his paddles?[:@]
Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 AM
dphill2

Squidman,

I think so !! (we try and put two guy's on each pole when we can to help with this) But I wonder what he does when he is trying to find the button on his radio and can't understand why nobody can hear him ?? what is he looking at then ??[:@]

DP
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
squidman

my plane , as I get my second cut.[]
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 PM
dphill2

Hummmmm Sounds like you will Cut One every now and then !!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: squidman

will the cut judge continue to watch the pylon when he is raising his paddles?[:@]

I heard that Dennis Cranfill has the old NMPRA Formula One light board/trailer that was previously used in both Houston and DFW races. The Houston/Austin Club 40 guys might consider contacting him and seeing if it is available and if it can be converted into a 2-pole system. Darrell Barabash in the DFW area made a great little electronic light/cut board for us to use in our Q-25/C-40 races here in DFW. It really cut down on the "who cut" issue.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM
twitte1

DP,

I am glad y'all are finding good simple solutions that everyone can agree on. That's the key. I wish y'all were closer to me!![:@]

Trey Witte
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
dphill2

Thanks Trey and Scott for the positive comments !! (I guess I should have started a new thread and not Hi Jacked this one !!)
But I just wanted to relay somthing all Clubs can use and worked very well for us !! Trey its people like you that make it fun to go to a Club -40 race and I too wish that we could race more often ...

DP2
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM
gefisher

ORIGINAL: twitte1

DP,

I am glad y'all are finding good simple solutions that everyone can agree on. That's the key. I wish y'all were closer to me!![:@]

Trey Witte
Trey, I wish you lived closer to us LOL. Don’t know how many races ya’ll have out your way but here in Texas we get 6 or 7 races and more now with the NAT’s and out of state races....

Gary

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.