Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 AM
energyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are the new Thunder Tiger 40s actually 46s?

Imeasured the new engine at the hobby shop that was mentioned in the first post. The bore is 21.8 mm and the stroke is 20.0 mm. According to TT specs, this is a 46. Ichecked both of my 40's that I bought at the same shop last year and they measured as 40's, The picture is the engine in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63666.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1781725  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Fred French and I looked at two 46's in cases marked as 40's at the Hico race. If you have looked in the exhaust of other 40's you will be able to tell the difference because the 46's have thinner liners. There was
another interesting difference in the 46's from the 40's and that is that the 46 pistons have a CHAMFER on
the top of the piston above the oil groove. Now it's possible that only the miss marked engines have these
pistons. Could someone who has a 46 (that is packaged as a 46) check theirs and tell us if all 46's have the
pistons with a chamfer on them? If you know what you are looking for, you don't have to have measuring tools. Greg
Old 07-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Oldbob

Greg, I have a 46 that I purchased last year from Tower. It has the CHAMFER at the top of the piston. Another easy way to tell the 46 from the 40 is the gap between the head and the top of the case is much larger on the 46. I hope the 46’s you and Fred looked at were not used in the race?

Bob
Old 07-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware that the crankcase of the TT has changed over the years and accordingly so has the head gap. The older crankcase design does not have machined cooling fins, the new ones do. The head gap is different between the two designs. We saw this last Saturday while we were looking over the engines in Tuscaloosa. We had a good mix of old and new engines and were comparing the differances.

I'll try and post some pictures of how we will be checking the engine displacement. It is very simple but not everyone will know how to go about this.

If you have a spare engine that has been checked, please bring it just in case someone finds out their engine is not legal.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob, The two engines we looked at were not in airplanes. They were not raced.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM
buzzya

Hey guys, I am one of the many that that has been the sad receipiant of a TT Homosexual 40. I had no idea and just assumed that they were as marked on the box to be a true 40. I was quite surprised when it was pointed out to me but when I compared it to the 40 on my back-up race plane I could definitely tell the difference. I have followed the advice on RCU to contact Royce at Thunder Tiger to set up to return the engine for replacement but I still have no reply from them as to how they want to arrange replacing the engine. I'm saddened to the fact that Thunder Tiger may be talking "smack" on the issue and I just want to know if anybody else has got their problemed engine replaced by Thunder Tiger or just empty promises Like me.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Since no one else has responded so far, I will.

You are supposed to contact Hobby Services at Hobbico. Go to this page [link]http://www.hobbico.com/contact.html[/link] and send them a message or call them. The email for Hobby Services is on there.

Hope you get it resolved.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
capnduane

Just got my TT40 from ehobbies, the stroke as best I can tell is 19mm, and the gap at the head is close to same as the spacing between the fins. (looks like a 40 to me) Iv'e only run 4-5 tanks (in the air) thru it so far, and it seems slightly better than the Super Tiger 40 it replaced. Hopeing it will turn up as it breaks in. Just getting back into this racing thing after 20 years! I used to race quickies and aircrusers. Our club, Gilman Springs Flyers, So Calif, had its Club 40 race blown out a couple weeks ago, Everybody was ready to race, tech inspection, fueled up, first heat ready to start, and 50 mph winds out of the east came up, out of the blue! Race postponed till November....
Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: capnduane

Just got my TT40 from ehobbies, the stroke as best I can tell is 19mm, and the gap at the head is close to same as the spacing between the fins. (looks like a 40 to me) Iv'e only run 4-5 tanks (in the air) thru it so far, and it seems slightly better than the Super Tiger 40 it replaced. Hopeing it will turn up as it breaks in. Just getting back into this racing thing after 20 years! I used to race quickies and aircrusers. Our club, Gilman Springs Flyers, So Calif, had its Club 40 race blown out a couple weeks ago, Everybody was ready to race, tech inspection, fueled up, first heat ready to start, and 50 mph winds out of the east came up, out of the blue! Race postponed till November....
For me they don't seem to run very good till they are into the second gallon of fuel, and keep getting better till wore flat out.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM
THRL-CKER

Sounds like you have a good one. The fast and easy check is if you can fit a quarter between the cylinder head and case it may be a 46.

What prop are you running? We have found the APC 10.5 X 4.5 to be a good prop others have used the APC10 X 4 & 10 X 5 and got good results recently some of us have been running the APC 9.25 X 6 it will turn 17,000 + and scream It wont pull as hard off the start and you have to fly smothe, but it is fast.

Good luck and keep us informed about your races

If you can try and make it to the first ever Club 40 National races to be held October 13th & 14th 2012

www.club40nats.com
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM
buzzya

Don, I contacted Hobbico as you suggested about my TT40 and spoke with CSR Jack. He put me on hold then came back after a few and ask me if I was sure that my engine had 46 internal parts. I ask him if they were aware of such a problem and Jack told me that they had heard of this rumor but have not had any of these engines returned to them so they could inspect them. He ask that I return the engine to them and they would let me know what they find and no mention of replacing my jacked-up 40..... I'll return it today(at my expense) and let you guys know the outcome...can't wait for this explaination............Tim
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
capnduane

I have found the APC 10.5x4.5 works good, was running it on the ST40, and am using it on the TT. Its been really hot these past weeks here in the dez of SoCal, with high (for us) humidity. I have tried the APC 9x6, and it seems slow. Right now I am just trying to re-learn to fly tight lines and good turns. Getting the airplane set up. 20 years is a long time! I am doing much better after a week, I was way wild at first, all over the sky, esp out of turn 2.... My first day of practice, one of my buds flew thru my LA Racer on turn one. I have since got a Sky Raider, and like it better.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM
skooterII

Capnduane
re">
re">re"> What kind of RPM's are you getting with a 10.5x4.5 on the TT.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
capnduane

Skooter, only have a half dozen tanks thru the TT so far, at most, and have been running it on the rich side. This morning I tweaked it a little and hit 15k easily. Really seems to be moving the airplane fast, and pulls good out of the turns. Seems quite a bit quicker than the ST40. Best I could get with the ST on this prop was 14.5k
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
skooterII

I have a tt pro.40 and it is the first tt iv owned. After running a few tanks threw it it will turn a 10x4 apc at 17k. Im and just wondering if this is good or bad or average for this engine.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 AM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: skooterII

I have a tt pro.40 and it is the first tt iv owned. After running a few tanks threw it it will turn a 10x4 apc at 17k. Im and just wondering if this is good or bad or average for this engine.
It's bad, send it to me!!

did you check bore and stroke yet?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 AM
skooterII

No i have not checked it out yet, but that is what i am afraid of. I was real surprised to see those numbers out of a .40. Ill have to do some looking and see what i come up with.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 AM
THRL-CKER

Where did you get it, I have not heard anything about it.

Jim
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
skooterII

I got it at Amarillo hobby house, is there going to be tech inspection before the races in Waco
Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: skooterII

I got it at Amarillo hobby house, is there going to be tech inspection before the races in Waco
yes

please check the stroke, a dial caliper down the glow plug hole will let you know right quick. If it's a 20mm stroke, it's a 46.

Oh and what is the case to head gap? it something like, if a dime will go and a nickel wont it's ok. but if a nickel will go into that gap, its a 46.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
skooterII

Well i pulled the head off and checked the bore and it was 21mm and the stroke was 19mm. So now that i know i have a .40 is 17k on a 10x4 about right for the tt?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
TT .40 15000rpm using Graupner "Sonic" 10x6.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45889.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1814939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73844.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1814940  
Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 AM
ACKopter

Another unsuspecting victim here and I can tell you this, it is painful in more ways than one. My engine was purchased from Tower Hobbies late last year and placed in a brand new airframe for the upcoming 2012 season. At the 9th round (of 10) yesterday waiting for the morning fog to break there was discussion on the possibility of a .46 in the .40 case straight from the factory and as you guessed it, my engine has the larger head to cylinder gap. We could not confirm at the field whether or not it was indeed a .46 but I withdrew myself from the days event anyway. This morning I was able to measure the engine and it does have both the bore and stroke dimensions of the .46
This creates a few serious issues for me. First off, I have competed all year with this plane and with 2 rounds left in the season I hold second in overall points. Yesterday's withdrawl from competition will probably put me farther down the list but as it stands now ALL my points will most likely be removed (and in all fairness should) as I have competed with a illegal engine for the entire season. Secondly and by far the most serious, my character has been called into question. This is something I hold very dear to myself and pride myself on is my values. For some that do not know me well enough I'm sure I will be labeled a "cheater".
It had been mentioned earlier in this thread that it is the responsibility of the competitor to verify that the engine they use is correct and legal. To this I say B.S.!!!!!! If I cannot have faith in a OEM supplied engine from a reputable dealer then why even bother, had I been aware the possibility of this scenario then indeed I would have checked my engine (as many of you did) but that was not the case. I know you can swap components but did not know these were being passed on from the factory untill yesterday.
I will make the appropriate contacts this coming week if only to bring more awareness to the manufacturer as I'm not very concerned with a replacement at this time.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Chris Kortessis #82, Fl Club40 Pylon
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 AM
BarryReade

Chris, your conscience is clear and your close friends know you are a stand up guy.  I have been following the Florida Club 40 scene recently and looks like they are a great bunch of guys.  I have a bunch of PRO 40's some of which I purchased off Ebay used.  I need to check all of them not only for displacement but also for enlarged carb venturi and muffler stinger ID.  I was at a race last year and they were checking and I had a stinger that had been drilled out, it was an ebay purchase.  I was so embarrassed.  Fortunately it was at the prerace tech insp and I changed out the muffler.  Sorry to hear your year total was lost.  I feel that eventually Thunder Tiger will discontinue the PRO 40 and will only offer the 46.  TT is the only company continuing to offer and R/C 40.  All the other quality manufacturers have gone to the .46.  And as electrics continue to expand the Nitro market is shrinking.  I see OS has read the tea leaves and have brought out a line of electric motors.

Anyway, I hope to make one of your races next year.  It will probably be one of the Gainesville races as it is the closest to me as I am in the Atlanta area. 
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 AM
ACKopter

Thanks for the kind words Barry, this has truly been a humiliating experience for me. I recall speaking to you a few years back when I was ready to start in club40. It would be great if you ever do make it down for one of our races and G-ville is an easy drive off the interstate. Here is a link to our club site which will have updated info when it becomes available for next years schedule.
http://floridaclub40pylonracing.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.